NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice QuickLook sneak peek
NeoOffice QuickLook sneak peek

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Just a quick little look for all'y'all on what Patrick's work allows. QuickLook was discussed in the Keynote on Monday, so I think that now this is disclosable under the ADC NDA rules Smile

A QuickLook of a Writer document containing an embedded chart and formula. Works similarly for the other doc types as well.

ed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Nice work!

Out of curiosity, in the keynote it was stated that a plugin could be made for any file type (in theory). Would such a plugin display the same information and allow you to scroll though the pages of the document (as the pdf is only of the first page of the document, IIRC). Or will complex objects like formulas and tables be displayed incorrectly, or not at all, though the use of a plugin?
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
Would such a plugin display the same information and allow you to scroll though the pages of the document (as the pdf is only of the first page of the document, IIRC).

I guess you would have to generate PDF's of all pages of a document, as I can't imagine the Finder running NeoOffice in the background to render the pages. And I don't think I'd like to have each page of my long documents (100 pages plus) doubled as PDF in the .odf file, just to have this nice (but rather useless – imagine how small the views are in cover flow) feature.

So, first page: good idea, great! All pages? Rather not.

Thanks for the great speed improvements with the last patch, it makes on my Powerbook G5 1.5 GHz a huge difference (and I can't stop to envy my girlfriend on a MacBook now).
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject:

I noticed Versiontracker picked up on patch 6 but failed to list what's new. Perhaps Quicklook compatibility and enhanced speed in text layout and animations should be mentioned.

I think this is Smokey's domain (not deliberately putting more work your way).

Best wishes,
Oscar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject:

doctype wrote:
I guess you would have to generate PDF's of all pages of a document, as I can't imagine the Finder running NeoOffice in the background to render the pages. And I don't think I'd like to have each page of my long documents (100 pages plus) doubled as PDF in the .odf file, just to have this nice (but rather useless – imagine how small the views are in cover flow) feature.

So, first page: good idea, great! All pages? Rather not.

It was my understanding that the plugin for Quick View would be somewhat independent of the program that would create the file. The Apple website mentions that they have plugins for Word and Excel files. Implying that you would not have to have they apps on your Mac if you just needed to view these files.
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
It was my understanding that the plugin for Quick View would be somewhat independent of the program that would create the file. The Apple website mentions that they have plugins for Word and Excel files.

Intriguing question: Who provides these plugins? Apple's iWork and TextEdit already parse and write Word .doc files, so they could easily come up with a plugin. But Excel? Does it come from MS, or has Apple something up their sleeve, like a spreadsheet application as part of iWork?

By the way, you may be lucky, at least concerning NeoWriter documents: Leopard's TextEdit can read and write ODF (Writer) documents, so they may provide an ODF plugin.

Anyone out there who attended WWDC and is ruthless enough to violate their NDA anonymously?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject:

I don't know the specifics, but during the keynote they did quicklook on a spreadsheet. I think I remembered seeing the office icons in the applications folder on the machine.

Whether or not QuickLook plugins require the full application to be installed depends on how they're implemented. The neopeek plugin does not require NeoOffice, for example. It merely illustrates how we can take advantage of our enhancements to the file format to provide a better Leopard experience.

Being independent, it does not render the full document. For now that means high-quality of the first page only, enough to get nice thumbnails and a good insight into what something is (like a title page or something). Patrick and I may play around in the future with adding some more pages, but we totally aren't intending to provide QL access for the entire document. We'll play with it, but the first page is a start.

Patch 6 does not include the QL functionality, so it's not any feature that should be listed. What it does do, however, is extend the file format. Any documents created with anything after 2.1 Patch 6 will have the enhanced file format and be ready to look pretty for Leopard Smile

Since Finder coverflow was also in the keynote I think this is fair game as well:

The front one is a copy of the 2002 OS X Con presentation where NeoOffice first saw the light of day Smile Immediately to its left is a draw document with some stars in it, and to the right a spreadsheet that's showing a bit of a chart. We still need to clean up the plugin and tweak the file format, but at least that should give folks a general gist of where things are going.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject:

Oh, for context, the working name I'm using for the QL plugin is "NeoPeek", so if that comes up at least you know what the code word means Smile

ed
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Pretty awesome. I love Finder Cover Flow and NeoPeek already.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I just finished modifying the plugin to use our enhanced format for generating thumbnails as well. The result is that CoverFlow looks much nicer and the reflections are processed appropriately:

Again, same as before. Draw on the left has changed slightly, but notice the spreadsheet to the right of the preso now displays the chart appropriately.

I also added in an explicit white rectangular background for printed documents since it really improves the utility of CoverFlow. Presently, the white rectangular background is added in for Writer, Impress, and Calc documents. The white rectangular background is omitted for Draw, revealing only the shapes. It makes sense to use transparency for vector graphics, but all others are rendered either as they appear on the printed page (Calc and Writer) or would appear on the screen (Impress).

Eventually we could get jiggy with it and do some type of alpha blending of the contents to appear as being contained within a variant of the existing community document icons. The important thing is we have vector contents and QuickLook is happy and snappy, even on an old TiBook Smile

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Oh, yeah, and the Writer document behind that spreadsheet shows up now as well. That's the document that was used for the full preview at the start of the thread (the one with the table, chart, and formula).

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject:

For an update, the QuickLook plugin is now complete and is being integrated directly into 2.1 Patch 7.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject:

perhaps a ODT plugin dl? which would include neolight and this (quickneo?) together?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
perhaps a ODT plugin dl? which would include neolight and this (quickneo?) together?

It is here:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=33671#33671

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject:

oh, i meant stand alone, like perhaps integrating quickneo into neolight so that any ODT user can have their greatness...
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2