Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Unable to open files on iDisk
Unable to open files on iDisk

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Unable to open files on iDisk

I know that I've seen this issue mentioned sometime since 2.1 EA was first available, but my attempts to search trinity and bugzilla came up with nothing in the right time frame.

In any event, I tried tonight to have Neo open some documents on my iDisk. First a .html file in the Sites folder, then a .doc file in my public folder. Both time I got a "General input/output error" notice. I know for a fact that I was able to open and edit the file in my public folder before upgrading to Neo 2.1 EA. I am pretty sure that I have also used Neo to open and work on the html file in the Sites folder, but I can't be absolutely certain.

Is this one for bugzilla, or just something I'm going to have to live with?

I'm using Neo 2.1 on an iBook G4, Mac OS 10.4.8.

Lorinda
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject:

I guess it's a BZ posting. I don't have an iDisk so can't reproduce myself, but it may be another file locking issue perhaps?

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Patrick modified the Feature Comparison to explicitly note Neo's support for iDisks, so it should work Sad I've long since let my .Mac expire, so I can't double-check or confirm the bug Sad

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Patrick modified the Feature Comparison to explicitly note Neo's support for iDisks, so it should work Sad I've long since let my .Mac expire, so I can't double-check or confirm the bug Sad

I even verified that opening iDisk files works with my Neo code modifications. Of course, opening Base files won't work, but if you have properly set permissions for files and folders within your iDisk folder, this should work.

What you might want to do is see if any other applications can open the iDisk files. If not, then you most likely have a permissions problem.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the speedy replies.

I just checked, and I can open the .doc file with Appleworks, no problem.
I can open the html file with TextEdit, no problem.

If I have time today, I'll try to check all my files on my iDisk and see if I get the same error. If not, it may be Tuesday before I can fiddle more.

For the moment the work around is to drag the file from my iDisk to the desktop, edit it, and then drag it back. (Actually, I option-drag them, so I don't take them off-line while I'm editing them).

Lorinda
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
For the moment the work around is to drag the file from my iDisk to the desktop, edit it, and then drag it back. (Actually, I option-drag them, so I don't take them off-line while I'm editing them).

So you are editing the remote file, aren't you?

Valter
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject:

valterb wrote:

So you are editing the remote file, aren't you?

Valter

Valter, thanks for asking for clarification.

I cannot currently edit the remote file; both dragging and option-dragging the file to my desktop makes a copy of the file on my (local) desktop, leaving the original on my iDisk. I can then edit the local file (the one on my desktop), and then (in the finder) move the file back to my iDisk and overwrite the original file.

I used to be able to open the file straight from my iDisk, without having to copy stuff to the desktop.

I also just tried saving to my iDisk; it doesn't work, either. Again, I know it used to.

While answering this question, I remembered that a while back I turned iDisk syncing off. I think I have edited those files since doing so, but I could very well be wrong. Should that be making a difference? I doubt I'll have time to change iDisk syncing to test it until after Easter, but I'll try to check that out sometime in the next week.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject:

FYI. There is an OOo bug occurring that is causing this error (the bug seems to be that the OOo application code tries to open a directory with a zero-length name before even trying to open the file and this causes the I/O error).

FWIW, I have verified that if you open the file using the File -> Open dialog and check the "Read-Only" checkbox, the file will open.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject:

Just as a follow-up, I tried working with a file from my iDisk the other day, and it worked without a hitch, just as it used to. I don't know what made the difference (I didn't work with it as read only), but I'm glad it's working again.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Just as a follow-up, I tried working with a file from my iDisk the other day, and it worked without a hitch, just as it used to. I don't know what made the difference (I didn't work with it as read only), but I'm glad it's working again.

I fixed that bug a few patches ago. Wink Glad to hear my fix works.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject:

Ah, I wondered if that wasn't the case, but the last word here was that it was an OOo bug, so I wasn't sure. Very Happy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Ah, I wondered if that wasn't the case, but the last word here was that it was an OOo bug, so I wasn't sure. Very Happy

It was an OOo bug. It just irritated me enough that I backed out there "fix" and made my old code that I donated to them work again.

Patrick
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
made my old code that I donated to them work again.

Patrick

Something to remember when someone in OOo claims that Patrick never contributes anything back.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1