· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Multiple Pages View
Multiple Pages View

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inetd
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Multiple Pages View

I've got a 2400x1900 monitor - a lot of screen real estate. I need to display/edit a Writer document with 2,3,4,5, and even 6 pages on the screen at the same time.

I've looked around all the menus, and searched this forum with no luck.

This is easily done with Word - PLEASE tell me I'm not going to have to dust off Word again?
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject:

You can go to the "Window" menu and choose "New Window" to open a new window of your document. This way you can open several windows of the document (how many? I don't know).
Changes made to the document in one window are automatically applied to all of the windows that are open for that document.

Hope that helps.

Jacqueline
inetd
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Jacqueline

That's a good idea, but it still keeps only one page on any given window - we're going to need consecutive layout pages. i.e. pages 4,5,6,7 all together, side by side with user specified zoom.

Word does this rather handily, and page up/down will just advance one page at a time. So if pgs 4,5,6,7 were up, page down would display 5,6,7,8.

The whole office was just sitting here speaking about this, and we noted this was very basic word processing feature, and we are all VERY suprised this appears to have never come up?

Adobe does it with all of their word/page management s/w, as does [hold your ears] Microsoft. On the view menu, there are choices for how many pages to display, from 1 to xx. Then you can even choose the ordering, right-left or up-down.

Even Acrobat has a side-by-side option.

Is this worth a feature submission request, or bug alert? Again we're very surprised at this - as it's elementary word processing. Given that most displays today are very large/dense even on laptops, this appears to be a holdover from the 640x480 days that didn't get any attention.

Unfortunately for us it renders NeoOffice useless - especially for large documents. I'm going to try OpenOffice to see if it's done the same way with X.

Thanks for the reply!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject:

inetd wrote:
Unfortunately for us it renders NeoOffice useless - especially for large documents. I'm going to try OpenOffice to see if it's done the same way with X.

Why would you expect OpenOffice.org to be any different? NeoOffice is a direct Mac OS X port of OpenOffice.org so if OOo behaves in a certain way, NeoOffice will as well.

As for filing a bug, you can file one with OOo. Filing such a feature request with us will merely get closed and an OOo bug.

Realistically, MS Office is a top-end product on the Mac. As such, Office will have many features that NeoOffice doesn't have. Such Office features are what makes the price of Office worthwhile for some users. If a feature that is in Office but not in NeoOffice or OOo is critical to your business' productivity, the rational business decision would be to use for Office.

Patrick
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject:

inetd wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

I'm sorry, but it's the same behavior in OpenOffice. I guess that that needs changes in OOo code on which NeoOffice is based.
So a feature request has to be posted to the OOo team Sad

Jacqueline
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Oops. Patrick is faster than me Very Happy
Baggypants
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject:

You can view pages side by side in Page Preview - Multiple pages button, but not edit them. However if you open a New Window as Jaqueline suggested you can edit that and the page preview is automatically updated.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject:

Thanks for this good workaround, Baggypants.

Should be added in the wiki Very Happy

Jacqueline
inetd
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
You can go to the "Window" menu and choose "New Window" to open a new window of your document. This way you can open several windows of the document (how many? I don't know).
Changes made to the document in one window are automatically applied to all of the windows that are open for that document.

Hope that helps.

Jacqueline

jgd - I tried this, this time with an open mind. It's not the same simple solution as presented by MS Word, but it does get the job done.

I opened 2 preview pages, 3 pages each, and one window for the true editing. With a little monkeying around with the mouse it flows fairly well. Now if I can get used to this, in my mind this makes Neooffice as effective as an application can be.

Patrick, I also thank you for your most valuable critique.

Regards -
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject:

Glad to hear that you solved your problem. I'm sure you can get used to this workaround Very Happy

Jacqueline
inetd
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
Glad to hear that you solved your problem. I'm sure you can get used to this workaround Very Happy

Jacqueline

Yes, it's working fine. After using it a few days, the only suggestion I would have is maybe a link between the two. IOW if you moved the edit page, it would somehow move the page view to the same page. THAT would be wonderful, and solve every issue (and more) of the original topic.

I put 2x3 pages on the page view, and for the most part they were readable. This becomes a monitor/video issue when it gets that small. A 1x3 looks much better (getting larger), but remember I still had the edit window open for all the clarity I needed.

This is on an Apple Cinema 30" running full tilt. I bought it as a refurbished and have had great luck with it. $3k retail, I managed to get it from Apple for $800 - and I've never seen that offer since.

thanks again
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject:

inetd wrote:

Yes, it's working fine. After using it a few days, the only suggestion I would have is maybe a link between the two. IOW if you moved the edit page, it would somehow move the page view to the same page. THAT would be wonderful, and solve every issue (and more) of the original topic.

It's a feature of OpenOffice.org on which NeoOffice is based.

Unfortunately, the current scope of the NeoOffice project is limited by resources to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X, and fixing OpenOffice.org feature bugs is outside that scope.

You can report this as a request in the OpenOffice.org issue tracker to get it on the radar of the core OpenOffice.org developers and if they fix the behavior, the new behavior will get included in a future release of NeoOffice:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html

Note : our advice is to report the bug against OpenOffice.org and not mention NeoOffice as mentioning NeoOffice will likely cause OOo volunteers to preemptively close it without actually confirming that the bug occurs in OOo.

Quote:

This is on an Apple Cinema 30" running full tilt. I bought it as a refurbished and have had great luck with it. $3k retail, I managed to get it from Apple for $800 - and I've never seen that offer since.

thanks again

Congratulations Smile

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1