Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Stop making me check in Czech
Stop making me check in Czech

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markjohn
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Stop making me check in Czech

Options - Language Settings - Writing Aids - Available Language modules. I keep selecting English, but it will not change from Czech. I can change it to any language I want, but it will not change from Czech. Kind of a pain if I have to transfer all my documents to MS Word to do a spell check, isn't it. Get what you pay for, maybe?
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject:

markjohn wrote:
Get what you pay for, maybe?

I'd say, RTFM. You're looking in the wrong place.

You need to change the settings in NeoOffice > Preferences... (or Tools > Options...) > Language Settings > Languages > Default languages for documents > Western. The setting you enter there will apply to all new documents (but not to existing documents); if you check "For the current document only" it will apply to the current, existing document instead of becoming the default.

For additional information : Activating Dictionaries and Configuring Spellcheck
markjohn
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Oh, that's nice. My first question here, and somebody's swearing at me. Well, I did, in fact, read the F***ing manual, my friend, that's how I ended up where I was. And, as a Technical Writer myself, I would say that if the manual doesn't immediately answer my question, it's not done it's job.
The setting in the particular area you mentioned is set to English (Canada).
Any more smart a** comments, or is this a place where one can actually get help? This is, obviously a bug. I'm not the only one with this problem. Maybe someone could address this, or will I just have to be submitted to more jerks?
I'd love to support this software. I'm a believer in the idea. I just need it to work, or I have to go to the devil that works.
markjohn
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Oh, and just to be a good sport, I set everything to English (USA). That doesn't work either. It still reverts to Czech.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject:

markjohn wrote:
Oh, that's nice. My first question here, and somebody's swearing at me. Well, I did, in fact, read the F***ing manual, my friend, that's how I ended up where I was. And, as a Technical Writer myself, I would say that if the manual doesn't immediately answer my question, it's not done it's job.
The setting in the particular area you mentioned is set to English (Canada).
Any more smart a** comments, or is this a place where one can actually get help? This is, obviously a bug. I'm not the only one with this problem. Maybe someone could address this, or will I just have to be submitted to more jerks?
I'd love to support this software. I'm a believer in the idea. I just need it to work, or I have to go to the devil that works.

So cussing us out is your idea of how to get results.

We are happy to help. However, we expect you to be civil first.

Patrick
markjohn
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Good Lord, man. Did you not see that the first reply was me being sworn at? Or is RTFM meaning something else these days? And I wasn't cussing "you" out, I was reacting to a very unhelpful, and obviously very cranky person who doesn't believe that this software doesn't work for someone.
Seriously. Is this the kind of 'community' this is? Very. Very. Helpful.

I'll just buy MS Word. I know it works. Too bad though. I would've like to have been able to support this, but if I'm not getting support, it's a waste of my very valuable time.
markjohn
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject:

P.S.
I did read the F***ing manual was exactly the same thing as the previous poster said, he just said RTFM. So, comments for him, or just for the newbie. I'm guessing for the newbie only.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject:

BTW, you didn't mention whether a person with a Czech locale created the document. I strongly suspect that that is the case and, as a result, all (or most) of the document is set to use Czech as its locale. Most Word and ODF documents now save the locale of the author in the document itself.

If this is the case, there are going to have to force all the content in the document to a different locale. Did you try highlighting all text in the document and doing the third paragraph in the following section?:

Selecting the Dictionary to be Used in a Document or Section

Patrick

Edit by Smokey: Turn the link into text link to not make the page so wide
markjohn
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I did. As I mentioned, I've read everything, and if one searches 'Czech' on this forum, one finds someone with a similar unsolved problem.
I'm in Montreal, and I created the document. I have an English computer, and created the document in English.
This is not for one document. This issue happens to all documents.
markjohn
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, I should be more precise in my replies.
Language in Format>Character, is set to English (Canada). Once again, I changed it to English (USA) just to see what would happen. I change the setting from Czech to English (USA), click Close, and OK in the next box. I open it again, click Edit...it is set to Czech once again.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject:

markjohn wrote:
Yes, I did. As I mentioned, I've read everything, and if one searches 'Czech' on this forum, one finds someone with a similar unsolved problem.
I'm in Montreal, and I created the document. I have an English computer, and created the document in English.
This is not for one document. This issue happens to all documents.

OK. That is very odd and I have not seen that type of behavior before. Usually the third paragraph in that section is the failsafe cure for forcing a locale to stick.

This, I suspect, is going to take some trial and error to solve to bear with us as NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org spellchecker is not the most elegantly implemented feature. Sad

Anyway, let's try the simple stuff first and see if (hopefully) the cause is some sort of corruption in NeoOffice's user preference files:

1. Quit NeoOffice
2. Move your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.1 and ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.x folders out of the ~/Library folder
3. Restart NeoOffice - this step will recreate your user preference files with default values
4. Create a new Writer document and see if the spellchecker is still defaulting to Czech
5. If Czech is no longer a problem in a new document, open one of your existing documents and do the "third paragraph" step again. Does your document stop spellchecking in Czech?

If the above does not help, let me know and I'll come up with some more troubleshooting steps.

Patrick
markjohn
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject:

OK, tried that.
Restarted the program, still set to Czech. All the Language Settings - Languages were set to Default, so I set them all (User Interface, Locale Setting, etc...) to English (USA). Quit, and re-launched the program. Select English (USA) Writing Aids - Available Language Modules, still sets itself to Czech.
I unchecked the options in the box under Available language modules
OpenOffice.org Hunspell Spellchecker
ALTLinux ...
Open Office.org New Thesaurus

After editing, closing, reopening, still set to Czech.

Have you seen this?

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4438&highlight=czech
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject:

Welcome markjohn,

My $0.02.

YES, I DID read that article. Did you follow the links to this item?
http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=31087#31087
rays wrote:
In your .doc file example where no spell-checking is happening, if you select some text in a typical paragraph of text and select NeoOffice menu item Format>Character>Font tab, which language is currently shown in the Language selector in the lower half of that window below the font selections?

NeoOffice is NOT like MS Word. Neo documents can have the language set for: Document, page, section of text, etc.
I had several problems using Languages within NeoOffice until I finally understood that Language Settings can be set for Default Document (ie New docs), pages, text, even words and characters. This is NOT something most people understand and it leads to many problems - SOME sounding exactly like yours.

The articles that others have referred you discuss this and probably contain the answer.
It is VERY hard to resolve your problem via text messages. PLEASE, re-read, re-try the steps suggested, and carefully tell us Exactly what steps you do.

OH - Most folks around here ARE pretty polite.

RTFM can also mean "RT Fine Manual", "Fancy", "Freaking", and most ANY other "F-ing" word.
I guess it all depends on how "YOU" interpret it. Shocked
If you take offense, then that is your ... choice. I'm not sure any was meant.
WHY would he have provided a detailed suggestion, and a link to an article that might have a probable solution.

Then again, being rude (back?) instead of paying close intention to the suggestions might be ... easier.

Philip ( How many times has the final solution been, "OH, that little detail!" Rolling Eyes )

markjohn
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject:

I did follow the above link, and do have ALL language settings (as mentioned above) set to English (USA).
But it's fine. I've purchased MS Word, and it works. While, as I said, I'd love to support this endeavour, I'm very busy, and it's worth a little bit of cash to get a product that's working.
Thanks for the tips though. Good luck.
markjohn
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject:

Oh, not to be argumentative, but as for easier than following the solution provided, it seems like nobody has read what I've written about steps I've taken. hahahaha.
Again. Good luck.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3