Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Formatting tutorial?
Formatting tutorial?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eclipsenow
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Formatting tutorial?

OK, I'm getting lost with formatting and especially templates.

I've heard from some other forums (EG: Slashdot) that sometimes the Open Office help is a bit limited and there can be really good online manuals and tutorials. Is there anything good on formatting in Writer, especially templates?

I've never really learnt how to format my heading preferences in Word, let alone Writer which I've just started to use. (And am generally loving so much better than Word which has been crashing our machines lately... congratulations on a stable office suit! I tried the Open office alpha the other day and it bombed.)

So where was I? Why does the Open office style tool go from the style down to the text you wish to change?

Why not the other way like most Mac formatting stuff in the Command T style pallet for stickies etc? That way I can highlight my paragraph, be happy I've got all the text, and then click on the style I'm after and "whammo" it changes. The other way round I've found problems selecting all the text I want in the right number of clicks before the style is lost.[/i]
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject:

Yes, the on-line help can be a bit lacking. There are lots of resources out there. For starters, try these three pages in the Neowiki

Documentation and Related Resources
NeoWriter
Tips and Hints: Styles and Templates Section

All three have links to articles in the wiki and links to articles elsewhere on the web.

Styles do work very differently in NeoOffice, due to the choices made by the original designers of the code that is now OpenOffice.org. It bears a lot of similarity to what I remember of the old WordStar's approach to styling.

Lorinda

Edit: fix typo

Last edited by Lorinda on Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Formatting tutorial?

Eclipsenow wrote:
That way I can highlight my paragraph, be happy I've got all the text, and then click on the style I'm after and "whammo" it changes.

Umm...

I may get in trouble here but that is more or less how it works for me in NeoOffice, if I have the Styles and Formatting window open before selecting my paragraph.

I can select the relevant paragraph with repeated clicks on a word (word, then sentence, then paragraph is selected). Then click once on the Style I want in the Styles and Formatting window.... Errr...."whammo"!

Or am I missing something in your description?

Eclipsenow
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject:

Thanks Rays and Lorinda, I'll have a read and get back to you Ray if I discover what I was doing wrong.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1