Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Odd 2.2.2p0 menu behavior on MacBook with Leopard
Odd 2.2.2p0 menu behavior on MacBook with Leopard

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlleyG
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Odd 2.2.2p0 menu behavior on MacBook with Leopard

I'm an infrequent NeoOffice user. I just upgraded to Leopard this evening, and then upgraded from NeoOffice 2.2.1 to 2.2.2 patch 0. I never noticed this behavior previously, but can't swear that it wasn't happening before.

After starting NeoOffice, if I click on a menu using the mousepad button, the menu title highlights, and the menu drops down, as expected. But if I select the menu with a quick tap on the mousepad proper, nothing happens until I move the mouse pointer slightly with the mousepad, at which time the menu title highlights and the menu drops down.

Can anyone else confirm this on their MacBook?
rpatrick
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject:

YES!

I have exactly the same problem on my MacBook, but I am not using Leopard. I'm sure it started happening before Neo 2.2.2 as well, but I haven't be using my laptop much recently.

As you said, it's funny how it works fine pressing the button, but not tapping the pad! I hadn't noticed the button still worked until I read your post and tried it, since I don't use the button for anything except dragging. Solution for now - try to remember to use the button!

Richard
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject:

rpatrick wrote:
YES!

I have exactly the same problem on my MacBook, but I am not using Leopard. I'm sure it started happening before Neo 2.2.2 as well, but I haven't be using my laptop much recently.

As you said, it's funny how it works fine pressing the button, but not tapping the pad! I hadn't noticed the button still worked until I read your post and tried it, since I don't use the button for anything except dragging. Solution for now - try to remember to use the button!

Richard

Does this happen with the TextEdit application? I ask because NeoOffice doesn't handle these mouse events; Mac OS X does. So, I am curious what happens in a Cocoa application like TextEdit as, in theory, the behavior should be the same in NeoOffice and other Cocoa applications.

Patrick
rpatrick
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,

I have just tried TextEdit (and a number of other apps) and the menus work properly. I must admit it was my understanding that it must be the OS which handles mouse events so I didn't suspect a NeoOffice bug or post at Trinity. I was very surprised to hear that someone else was experiencing the same behaviour (hence the over-excited "YES!").

Anyway, it's nothing more than a mild annoyance and like you say shouldn't have anything to do with NeoOffice. But, if there are any other tests/steps you'd like me to take, I'd be happy to help!

Richard
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject:

rpatrick wrote:
I have just tried TextEdit (and a number of other apps) and the menus work properly. I must admit it was my understanding that it must be the OS which handles mouse events so I didn't suspect a NeoOffice bug or post at Trinity. I was very surprised to hear that someone else was experiencing the same behaviour (hence the over-excited "YES!").

Anyway, it's nothing more than a mild annoyance and like you say shouldn't have anything to do with NeoOffice. But, if there are any other tests/steps you'd like me to take, I'd be happy to help!

One question: if you click on a menu so that a menu displays and then click back into the document to close the menu, just this behavior still occur?

If not, then I might have a theory as to what might be causing this.

Patrick
rpatrick
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Hm, I've tried a few things and noticed a pattern! Let's see if I can explain it coherently:

If I click on a menu using the button or the trackpad, clicking on the document with the button or the trackpad makes the menu disappear properly.

However, if I click on a menu with the button, and also use the button to click on the document to make the menu disappear, then the next time that I try the menu with the trackpad the menu works properly (no having to move the mouse a bit). But, it only works properly once.

Richard
gromOSX
Keymaker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject:

I have noticed this same behavior in the following way:
If I click on a menu in Neo it either doesn't appear until I move the pointer slightly or until I click on the application somewhere else and then try the menu again. Pretty sure this happened before 2.2.2 on my g4 PPC ibook 1.2ghz 1.2gb RAM fully patched. this doesn't seem to occur in any other applications even if they are running alongside neo

edit-only seems to happen with the pad not the button

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject:

I just booted up my Mac Intel laptop and with the latest test patch in bug 2692.

Are you sure that this is not the NeoOffice's normal "menu synching" operation? NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code has delayed menu building so the first time you open a document's menubar menus, a lot of processing must occur before the menu displays. This can be particularly lengthly with Calc documents. In contrast, native Apple applications like TextEdit and Safari have a fixed set of menus the are set at startup and, for the most part, never change so menus open much quicker.

To test my theory, the next time that this behavior occurs, don't move the mouse. Instead, wait and see if the menu appears. If it appears (you shouldn't wait more than 15 seconds), then my theory is correct.

Patrick
rpatrick
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I have had another play to test your theory. I found that sometimes when NeoOffice has just been opened there is a slight delay when clicking the drop-down menu, but not much more than perhaps a second (this is when I'm using the button of course). During this delay I could hear the computer accessing the hard drive.

I tried waiting as you asked for the menu to appear when using the trackpad. However, I waited well over 15 seconds and the menu still did not appear until I moved the mouse slightly. So it appears that the menu syncing operation is unrelated to this strange trackpad behaviour.

Interesting!

Richard
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject:

I have noticed that the first menu-drop in Calc seems to take a long time, longer than in 2.2.1, but I hadn't had a chance to do much testing.

In 2.2.1, if I simply clicked, the menu dropped almost instantaneously (using the trackpad button; I have no mouse, and not one of those fancy tappable trackpads), no moving required.

In 2.2.2, if I do the same, it takes several seconds before the menu drops. If I move the cursor after clicking, the menu drops a bit faster, but it still takes several seconds--just faster than not moving the cursor.

I don't know if that means menu syncing is taking longer, or?

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I don't know if that means menu syncing is taking longer, or?

No. It is just being delayed if you open an existing document. This fixed bug crashing bug 2577.

Patrick
gromOSX
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject:

one additional comment...I am using Nomu to launch most of my files these days. I might try uninstalling it and see if that is messing with the menus???

...to be continued

Keymaker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject:

seems NOMu not involved but i noticed the problem was absent before I saved a new blank document and present after I saved it for the first time...
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Odd menu behaviour...

Hi.
I must admit having the same problem regarding the opening of menus via trackpad tapping of my Intel MB. I don't operate Leopard (but Tiger 10.4.11) and i'm absolutely sure that the problem wasn't there before upgrading to NO 2.2.2, since I never use the trackpad button and would therefore have noticed the problem a while ago.
It's a minor problem though, and using the trackpad button works perfectly. It just breaks a habit I've grown accustomed to, using the multiple trackpad taps!

Christouf
Confused
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject:

I cannot reproduce this on my 10.4.10 Intel MacBook Pro. Tapping the trackpad with a single finger on the menubar always displays a menu without any need to move my finger on the trackpad.

I am using the latest test patch listed at the end of bug 2764.

Since I am using 10.4.10, I am now upgrading my laptop to 10.4.11 to see if that causes any change.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2