Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How to Disable Java Runtime?
How to Disable Java Runtime?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: How to Disable Java Runtime?

I read that to speed up the opening of Neooffice you can disable Java runtime by going to tools, options, etc. or you can do it in preferences. However, after I uncheck it and then close down neooffice and open it back up again it is checked again. What I am doing wrong?
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Wow- no need to do so. I just found out that if I eliminate preference files from the last version of neooffice it loads immediately. Here is what the neowiki said that worked for me and cause a world class speed up:

Check for corrupted user preference files. Corrupted user preference files can cause crashes as well as unexpected behavior when the application is running.
(Force-)Quit NeoOffice, move your NeoOffice preferences folder aside, and restart (don't let NeoOffice 2.x (re-)import your earlier NeoOffice 2.x or NeoOffice 1.x preferences)
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: How to Disable Java Runtime?

Glad you found a solution to your issue (and thanks for letting us know what it was) Smile

gbh wrote:
I read that to speed up the opening of Neooffice you can disable Java runtime by going to tools, options, etc. or you can do it in preferences. However, after I uncheck it and then close down neooffice and open it back up again it is checked again. What I am doing wrong?

NeoOffice is based on OpenOffice.org. You can prevent OOo from loading or using a JRE. However, NeoOffice uses Java for most of its interface, so you always need it.

BTW, where did you read about disabling the JRE to speed up the NeoOffice startup?
rpatrick
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject:

I read an article a while ago on the internet about how to speed up OOo on Linux and Windows. I had a little look for it just now, but can't find it again - I'll post the link soon as I do.

But, it wasn't just about disabling JRE - it involved changing the settings in the Memory menu in Options too. Some people commented that they tried the same in NeoOffice (minus disabling JRE because as stated it is not possible for NeoOffice!) and they said it made NeoOffice load faster. No one gave any specifics so perhaps it was in their imagination?!

I just tried it in NeoOffice and I don't think it makes the app load any faster, but the windows do seem draw/redraw noticeably quicker. Hm...

I just wish I could find that article, but I've got to rush off now!

Rich
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject:

If you type in Speed up open office or speed up neooffice in google you'll get lots of pages that say basically the same things to do. Here is one of them:

http://www.ghacks.net/2007/08/18/speed-up-open-office/

There are a number of neooffice users who says these things work for neooffice as well. However, I found out, in the second post in thread, I need to do none of this. Simply following the trinity wiki on getting rid of preferences from past versions worked wonders. Now, neooffice starts virtually instantly.
rpatrick
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject:

You say NeoOffice starts up almost instantly now? Are you sure the app isn't just remaining open (little triangle under the icon in the dock for Tiger) and is therefore just able to open windows quickly?

Rich
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Yes. It is not loaded. Merely pulling out the preferences folder and deleting it caused it to zoom. Now it is extremely fast.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1