Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Any way to recover lost images?
Any way to recover lost images?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drawingdead
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Any way to recover lost images?

I've seen the other posts on here about folk who have lost embedded images in text documents, and unfortunately, the wife's MacBook just experienced the same problem.

I believe that her system was current on version of NeoOffice (2.2.1). She tends to save files in both ODT and DOC formats because she shares these docs with friends who need the .doc format.

Suddenly this evening while working, NeoOffice shut down without warning. When she restarted, her doc was still there, images in place. However, as she was getting ready to complete the doc (about 20 pages of class notes with about 20 images she'd spent most of the day pulling from various websites), the images went {poof} and were gone.

I've checked the things that I've read to check. I've updated her version of Java, I've repaired permissions on the Mac, etc.

NeoOffice seems to be working fine now, but the images are nowhere to be seen. Any hope that there still there in the ether somewhere? Any way to recover those?

Thanks for the help, because the missus is not a happy camper right now.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject:

This sounds a lot like bug 2581 which was fixed several weeks ago in NeoOffice 2.2.1 Patch 1.

If this is the same bug, you should first make sure that the user has the latest patch installed and then you can try to recover the images.

I do not know if the images are recoverable in your particular case, but since bug 2581 is caused by NeoOffice's autorecovery saving, the first place to look for a copy that still has images in it is in the user's ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2/user/backup folder as the autorecovery saving mechanism does its saving there. Note: before you open any of the files in this folder, copy them to a different directory and open the copies just to be safe.

Patrick
drawingdead
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the direction, but there don't seem to be any files in that particular folder. Does that mean that it's gone for good?

I installed the latest patch.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject:

drawingdead wrote:
Thanks for the direction, but there don't seem to be any files in that particular folder. Does that mean that it's gone for good?

I installed the latest patch.

Maybe. But there is one last thing that you can try. .odt files are really just zip files and, in some cases, the images might still be in there but with nonsense names. To check for this, your last saved .odt and do the following:

1. Make a copy of the .odt file and then rename the copy with a .zip extension

2. Double click on the .zip file that you created and a folder should be created.

3. Navigate into this folder and you should see a Pictures subfolder.

4. Open any files in the Pictures subfolder in the Preview application to see if any are the missing images.

5. For any that you might find, you can insert those images into your document with NeoOffice.

Hope that helps,

Patrick
aaric
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject:

Try Digital Media Recovery Software. You can run the demo and find out if the software can recover the images in your case. I had success using it to recover my lost wedding pictures from a SD Card.

Try your luck. All the best.
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I believe that her system was current on version of NeoOffice (2.2.1). She tends to save files in both ODT and DOC formats because she shares these docs with friends who need the .doc format.
Have you tried opening one of the .DOC documents? If she saved them in that format too, the photos should be there.

The way computer luck runs, I'll bet she didn't. But if you lucked out, open the .doc file, choose Save As..., and save it back as an .odt file.

I'm curious to know whether Neo tanked the photos in the .doc's too. Ever since 2.2.2, I've had no trouble from Neo over photos or graphics. But in 2.2.1, it would eat the .png's and most of the .jpg's. No problem now, though, with 2.2.2 p1.

From what I understand of the problem, Neo just wouldn't save imported graphics in a document. As long as it was open, you could print it to paper or PDF, and the pix would be present. But save it, then re-open, and the pix were gone. Strangely, my .jpg photos would disappear, but a graph which was copied and pasted from Calc would stick just fine.

So before you try to salvage anything, upgrade her laptop to 2.2.2

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1