Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Mac user with BootCamp XP - can I?
Mac user with BootCamp XP - can I?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BonnieB
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Mac user with BootCamp XP - can I?

I'm brand new to Apple, and run Tiger 10.4.11 on a MacBook which has a BootCamp partition housing Windows XP. I've just downloaded NeoOffice and LOVE it, but I have a very basic question. I've searched the databases and haven't managed to find any answer, so (with apologies if I've missed something obvious) I would be grateful if anyone can tell me:

Can I download and run NeoOffice on the Windows XP side? At the moment my Neo files don't read on XP and I would love them to be compatible. I do have Word on both sides, but want NeoOffice too!

Many thanks for any help -
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject:

NeoOffice runs on Mac OS X not on Windows. But you can read Word's files without problem and save your files in MSWord formats: .doc, .xls, etc.

The databases component in NeoOffice is Base. You may want to have a look at this page in NeoWiki. Click on the link To Base and Back Again. You'll get a series of tutorials which can help you.

Hope that helps.

Jacqueline
shrinkie1964
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject:

You can run OpenOffice 2.3 on your XP partition, which of course is fully compatible file-wise with Neo, and looks and acts like it. Heck, thanks to the wonders of open source development, Neo basically is OOo for Mac OS X, and fills a gap left by the lack of recent work on OOo for Aqua (the native visual interface of Mac OS X).

FWIW, I run XP and Ubuntu virtual machines on my iMac under VMware Fusion, which is not free like Boot Camp but allows simultaneous running of different OS envirionments. I use OOo in the XP and Linux VM's and Neo in the Mac OS proper. I have for now given up on OOo for X11--with the Leopard upgrade X11 is too unstable for the faint of heart. Neo is just fine and thanks to continual debugging and patching by the community just keeps getting better.

Les
BonnieB
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject:

Thanks so much! Your answers are very helpful, and I'll now download OpenOffice into my XP. (Word, which I have PAID for, doesn't work as well in Mac as your own programme! Frequent crashes and formatting problems, harumpphh. Can't get it to recognise A4 size to save my life, and A4 is the standard paper here.) (Ireland) So Neo & Open are something of a life-saver.

Thanks again Very Happy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1