NeoOffice :: View topic - Formulae: writing ions
Formulae: writing ions

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xja
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Formulae: writing ions

Hello everybody,
I learned how to write some formulae in NeoO, but I can't write well ions in chemical reactions.
For the minus sign a workaround could be typing option+- to obtain a "–" sign that is not recognised as an operator.
A less adequate workaround for the plus sign is to insert a "crux desperationis" instead by typing option+x, this is not very well looking after printing, there is a way to tell NeoO to recognise a symbol not as an operator?
This could be a good topic for the wiki.

Bye.

Last edited by xja on Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject:

You might want to read the following Apple help article as NeoOffice uses the standard method of inputting symbols that Apple switched to starting with Mac OS X 10.3:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1064.html

Patrick
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject:

It looks like xja is running into the keywords problem in NeoOffice Math.

You may have a look at this page in the wiki.

Jacqueline
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject:

xja, I'm a chemist and I can say that writing chemical equations with NeoOffice (and OpenOffice.org too) is quite a pain.
But for simple tasks, as write sodium bicarbonate in ionic form, things are quite simple.
Code:
Na^"+" ~~~ HCO^"-"_3

as it is writing isotope formulas

Code:
C lsup{12} lsub{6}

Problem comes when you want to write an arrow and want to put a text above it and/or under it (as in a chemical reaction where you want to describe reaction conditions). Best I can do is
Code:
CH_4 + 2 O_2 ignition over temp > CO_2 + H_{2}O

but don't know how to write an equilibrium reaction...

Valter
xja
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Grazie, valterb, se non ci si aiuta tra noi.... Wink

guides and help didn't explained this solution, it works!
I don't have, for now to write double arrows for equilibrium, but, if anybody knows, maybe digging in the character map....

bye.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject:

I'm not a chemist, just a mathematician, but I think you can try to add a symbol to the Catalog.

1) Create a new formula document, or insert a formula in a Writer document.When the formula window opens, go to the Tools > Catalog… menu.

2) In the Symbols window, click on Special in the Symbol set drop-down, then on Edit…

3) Give a name to the new symbol, i.e. "equilibrium".

4) In the Subset category, click on Arrows.

5) Select the appropriate double arrow, and click on Add, then on OK.

6) Close the Catalog window.

When you want to use the symbol, you need to go to Tools > Catalog, click on Special in the drop-down, select the "equilibrium" symbol and click Insert. Close the Catalog window.

Of course, if you don't want to go the Catalog every time you write an "equilibrium", you can save your formula as an independant one. I've a collection of independant formulas (and, frankly, I often use LaTeX to write important math documents, but it's another story).

Hope that "une matheuse" can help chemists Smile

Jacqueline
xja
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject:

Thanks, the only problem is finding the right symbol...
Digging through the character map isn't easy to find what you want, you may not be searching in the right font....

Update

It was easier than expected, under Arial Unicode MS in arrows section there is an equilibrium-like double arrow symbol, there are also double-headed arrows and curved arrows (more difficult to use).
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject:

I forgot to say that to use that symbol, you don't need to open the Catalog, you can enter "%equilibrium" (without quotes) in the formula window.

When I open the Edit Symbols window, the Font drop-down is blank, and when I select Arrows, the appropriate double arrow is quite easy to find. The Font drop-down remains blank.

Jacqueline
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject:

Jacqueline, I used that method, but it doesn't work if you have to put some text above or under the "%equilibrium" symbol. We need to expand it, but it doesn't.

Anyway, I think the best we can do is to dowload a free software like http://easychem.sourceforge.net/stable/EasyChem-0.6.dmg (but it requires X11, and we don't lile it, do we?), or to download the outstanding ChemDraw. Than we have to copy and paste the equation in NeoOffice.

Valter
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject:

OK. I understand.
The only way could be to use "oper" with some spaces, something like this

Code:
stack{ignition # ~{}oper %equilibrium{} # ~{}temp}

but it's probably not sufficient for your needs. I'm sorry. But I run into analogous pb in math, that's the reason why I use LaTeX Wink

Anyway, have a nice week-end Very Happy

Jacqueline
xja
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject:

I tested now, after the %equilibrium just put csub or csup and the text to put into { } (how do you say that in english?)

Bye
xja
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject:

For example try this %equilibrium csup{∆} csub{CDCl_3} this will show the double arrow, if you added in the catalog with such code, with a delta on top and CDCl3 at bottom, this may not be the best looking solution but is a first step.
It's the same as stack but a bit more simple to write.

bye
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject:

It's a good method, but you cannot enter a formula in the Catalog. You can just enter the double arrow. However, there is a workaround: write the formula in a document, then create an Autotext. Autotexts are very handy.

To know how to create an Autotext, have a look at this page in the wiki (in Italian Smile).

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1