NeoOffice :: View topic - File :: Recent menu with no open windows
File :: Recent menu with no open windows

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject:

rays wrote:

Cmnd-, also successfully opens the Preferences but subsequent Cmnd-W fails to close the window and instead first use places the cursor in the Tel. (Home/Work) field in the User date Options window opened by the Cmnd-, shorcut and each subsequent use of Cntrl-W enters a 'w' in that field.

Cmnd-N only works if I have "activated" the menu bar by clicking on it somewhere (not necessarily dropping a menu) or used one of the other viable cmnd-* shortcuts above. After clicking anywhere on the menu bar, cmnd-N works but if I subsequently close this new document by any of the methods as described above, cmnd-N again does not work.

I think there's a bug but I'd like someone to verify this behaviour in relation to the cmnd-N and Cmnd-, shortcuts beforehand.

I've been away awhile but I hope these observations this evening help.

I see the same behavior with Cmd-N, but Cmd-, seems to work normally. I've probably misunderstood something.

Jacqueline
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have posted the following new test patch. This test patch doesn't fix the Command-N problem (I still need to look at it), but it eliminates the breif flash of the empty default window when quitting NeoOffice. Hopefully it also elimates the problem that Lorinda reported yesterday about the empty default window appearing and being unhidable:

PowerPC:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.2-Patch-10-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.2-Patch-10-Test-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
[Cmnd-, also successfully opens the Preferences but subsequent Cmnd-W fails to close the window and instead first use places the cursor in the Tel. (Home/Work) field in the User date Options window opened by the Cmnd-, shorcut and each subsequent use of Cntrl-W enters a 'w' in that field.

The Command-W behavior you describe is normal for OpenOffice.org. OOo has only ever made Command-W (or Control-W for X11) work for document windows, not dialogs and dialogs in OOo don't have their own menus.

Like Jacqueline, Command-, is working fine for me.

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
The Command-W behavior you describe is normal for OpenOffice.org. OOo has only ever made Command-W (or Control-W for X11) work for document windows, not dialogs and dialogs in OOo don't have their own menus.

When I invoke the Open document window, there are no top menu items in the menu bar other than NeoOffice (which is inactive at that point).

On the other hand, when I open the Preferences window, I do still have active menu items viewable in the drop down menus available in the Mac top menu bar. Amongst those is the Window>Close Window cmnd-w which is not greyed out. This is what led me to expect selecting that menu item or using cmnd-w at that stage would close the preferences window. (Which, of course, it doesn't.)

I'm curious about the different underlying OOo behaviour when the open document window is open rather than when the preferences window is open which gives rise to the differing menu bar presentation. I'll go take a look at OOo later today just to satisfy my curiosity.

Subsequent to your explanation here, I see that this same Close Window menu item is also available and active in the Window menu when there appears to be no document window open, expect I know there is the 1x1 hidden document window open so that makes perfect sense!

(Probably more than I do! Time to get back in my box.)

PS: I don't think I've remembered to thank you for this welcome new feature set yet? No? Then make it a thousand thanks!

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject:

rays wrote:
When I invoke the Open document window, there are no top menu items in the menu bar other than NeoOffice (which is inactive at that point).

On the other hand, when I open the Preferences window, I do still have active menu items viewable in the drop down menus available in the Mac top menu bar. Amongst those is the Window>Close Window cmnd-w which is not greyed out. This is what led me to expect selecting that menu item or using cmnd-w at that stage would close the preferences window. (Which, of course, it doesn't.)

The behavior you describe has been in NeoOffice for quite a while now. The menus that you see when opening a non-native dialog (like Tools :: Options) are really the menus of the dialog's parent window, not the dialog window as OOo has no menus in any of its dialog windows.

The display of parent menus is a quirk of Java 1.4.x and higher but I'll look at it to see if I can suppress this behavior.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
rays wrote:

The behavior you describe has been in NeoOffice for quite a while now. The menus that you see when opening a non-native dialog (like Tools :: Options) are really the menus of the dialog's parent window, not the dialog window as OOo has no menus in any of its dialog windows.

I have uploaded a new test patch that fixes the long-standing problem that rays described. In the new test patch NeoOffice will disable all of the menus if a modal dialog (such as Tools :: Option) is displayed.

If a non-modal dialog (such as Format :: Styles and Formatting) is displayed, the existing behavior will remain the same and you will the document window's menus and using those menus will apply to the document, not the non-modal dialog.

Also, in the new test patch I have fixed the Command-N problem that rays reported.

The test patch can be downloaded from the following URLs:

PowerPC:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.2-Patch-10-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.2-Patch-10-Test-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the attention to detail and the behaviour is now consistent as you describe it. Really nice to finally be able to open a new document with a simple standard keyboard shortcut. Very happy.

pluby wrote:
If a non-modal dialog (such as Format :: Styles and Formatting) is displayed, the existing behavior will remain the same and you will the document window's menus and using those menus will apply to the document, not the non-modal dialog.

I have found a quirk during a quick test which I had seen occasionally previously but wasn't conscious which steps could be used to reproduce it. Try the following:

Open new document. Open Styles & Formatting window and ensure that this window has focus by clicking on it to activate the traffic lights. If you now invoke cmnd-W to close the document, it works as expected but you are left with two sets of the Menu bar and keyboard commands are "disabled" until Neo is put in background or re-activated. (Not necessary to quit and re-start Neo.)

Trust this description helps localise this issue.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject:

rays wrote:
I have found a quirk during a quick test which I had seen occasionally previously but wasn't conscious which steps could be used to reproduce it. Try the following:

Open new document. Open Styles & Formatting window and ensure that this window has focus by clicking on it to activate the traffic lights. If you now invoke cmnd-W to close the document, it works as expected but you are left with two sets of the Menu bar and keyboard commands are "disabled" until Neo is put in background or re-activated. (Not necessary to quit and re-start Neo.)

Trust this description helps localise this issue.

Yes. This helps very much as this "menu doubling" behavior has existed in Apple's Java for quite some time and I could never really reproduce it consisently enough to get to the root cause of it.

I have uploaded a new test patch that fixes this bug. The test patch can be downloaded from the following URLs:

PowerPC:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.2-Patch-10-Test-4-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.2-Patch-10-Test-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject:

Still buggy, I'm afraid.

Cmnd-N for new document. Then open Styles and formatting window. If it is not the active window and I apply cmnd-W to close the document, this works and then I can again open a new window with cmnd-N.

However, if I make te Styles and formatting window the active window before applying cmnd-W, I cannot re-apply cmnd-N without first switching out to Finder then back to Neo if my closed document was empty.

But the double menus have disappeared! Smile

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject:

rays wrote:
However, if I make te Styles and formatting window the active window before applying cmnd-W, I cannot re-apply cmnd-N without first switching out to Finder then back to Neo if my closed document was empty.

I found the cause of this and it was due to my fix for the very old bug 1106. I have reworked my fix for that bug so that it does not cause the disabling of menu shortcuts problem that you found and uploaded a new test patch.

The new test patch can be downloaded from the following URLs:

PowerPC:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.2-Patch-10-Test-5-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.2-Patch-10-Test-5-Intel.dmg

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

The new patch seems to operate fully in line with expectations. Once again, thanks for a brilliant and thorough piece of work.

Warm regards,

Ray

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject:

Since I released NeoOffice 2.2.2 Patch 11 this morning, I posted the following new test patch. This test patch has identical code to the Patch 10 Test 5 test patch. The only change is that it says Patch 11 instead of Patch 10.

The new test patch can be downloaded from the following URLs:

PowerPC:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.2-Patch-11-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.2-Patch-11-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject:

All seems well with this test patch version also.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject:

I don't know if this is related to the new menu functionality, but I'm sporadically losing functionality in the Help menu when I have docs open. Mousing over the menu doesn't highlight any of the options, and I have to open another window to get the functionality back, at least for a while, then it goes again. I have no haxies running when this happens, and it's only the Help menu that's affected. I've posted it as bug #2922.

- padmavyuha

Last edited by yoxi on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
I have no haxies running apart from NOMu when this happens

AFAIK NOMu is just an application, not a haxie.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3