· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 2.2.3

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvasquez79
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: 2.2.3

Very Happy
Ok, I feel like a noob asking this, but whatever. I've only recently found out about NeoOffice and have been using it for about a week or two. Now there's 2.2.3 available, and I want to upgrade. Do I have to uninstall 2.2.2 first? DOes 2.2.3 work like a patch or does it stand alone? What do I do?

Thanks

jv
hi_RAM
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject:

You don't have to uninstall NeoOffice 2.2.2… the 2.2.3 will remplace the 2.2.2 Wink
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject:

Moved to NeoOffice Support.

Installing NeoOffice 2.2.3 (over 2.2.2, or from scratch) is as simple as downloading 2.2.3 and running the installer package.
jvasquez79
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Thanks

Thanks Samwise!! Thanks High_RAM!!

I just finished installing 2.2.3 and I'm up and running and it's working even better than before.

jv

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject:

Also, you should know that periodically we issue "patches", bugfix updates for the software. There's a built in check in the software that will let you know if these patch updates are available. You also can subscribe to the "Patches" RSS feed (see the box on the left of the page) to get notice of the bugfix releases.

ed
jvasquez79
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Surprised
Thanks OPENSTEP. That's how I found out about 2.2.3. I was opening up NeoOffice to continue working on a procedures manual for an administrative assistant's position when it notified me that there was an update available. I really like the fact that you can still use the menu bar even if you don't have a NeoOffice document open. Good fix!!

jv

OldOrca
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: 2.2.3

I have been using NeoOffice for a couple of years - I think it is superb!
Today I learned that 2.2.3 was available. I was running 2.2.2 Patch 11, so I am used to the update process.
As usual, from my Admin acct., I downloaded new version to Desktop and then closed NeoOffice.
I then did the installation procedure. I then clicked on the Dock icon to open NO, but 2.2.2 opened. I closed 2.2.2 and looked at the Dock again, now noticing a second icon. I clicked that and 2.2.3 opened. I checked for updates and learned of Patch 1 which I installed. All was cool.
I then went to Finder>Applications and both 2.2.2 & 2.2.3 were there. When i tried to move 2.2.2 to Trash, I got a message that 'the operation could not be performed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items'.
Show Info showed owner as System. I changed ownership to admin acct. No help. Nothing I try will let me remove 2.2.2 from my system.
What to do? Please help.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Hmm...were you installing to multiple locations? By default we should overwrite.

If you're trying to remove NO 2.2.2 after you've found it, drag it to the trash. If some of the permissions are off, I believe that using Finder > Empty Trash will prompt you for an admin username and password to erase the items from the trash. Perhaps you need to hold down option?

If that doesn't work, open up a terminal and do:

Code:

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

That forcibly will get rid of everything in the Trash of the currently logged in user account.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Note, in case it's a bit difficult to see above, the first "-" is a dash (in front of the "rf"). The second one is a tilde "~" (in front of "/.Trash").

ed
OldOrca
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject:

I was installing to the usual default Macintosh HD, and only there as far as I know.

I didn't do the terminal because the Trash was already totally empty before I started the 2.2.3 download. [Finder>Empty Trash is greyed out (I think because Trash is empty).]

I tried experimenting with option key. The message now reads 'The operation cannot be completed because the item "share" is in use.'
Then I noticed that the Dock icon (for 2.2.3) showed open (small triangle). I closed it but still same message with or without holding option.

Fortunately, 2.2.3 seems to be working. But it is frustrating to have 2.2.2 still on the system.

If 2.2.3 were dragged & dropped onto 2.2.2 (or vice versa) would that bring about the desired overwrite or disaster?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject:

Have you tried rebooting and then emptying your trash immediately after reboot? If not, does doing work work?

Patrick
OldOrca
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject:

ed & Patrick, your inputs & suggestions triggered some inspiration / intuition that allowed me to remove 2.2.2.
In the prior attempts to remove 2.2.2, I had moved it from Finder>Appl to Desktop.
I have a 2nd Admin acct that is squeaky clean due to no routine use. [I reasoned that if both versions were in Applications, I could use Admin 2 to move 2.2.2 to Trash.] But Admin 1 would not allow 2.2.2 back into Appl because both versions had same name - NeoOffice.app (even tho the Installer had put 2.2.3 there next to 2.2.2!). So I renamed 2.2.2 to NeoOffice1.app and the scheme worked, 2.2.2 is gone. [Admin 1 would not trash 2.2.2 even with the rename.]
Admin 2 was made by Apple Tech Support to show that a Trash anomaly (that came up in late 2007) was localized to Admin 1 (Bless Unix!). [The anomaly was that SuperEmptyTrash2.3 by Marco Balestra @ faqintosh.com did not remove itself after use. This left Trash always empty. Anything put there went right out the bottom and was gone forever.]
I wanted to explain the Trash anomaly because I do not think the problem of removing 2.2.2 in Admin 1 was caused by NeoOffice. I believe the cause was in Admin 1. The only abnormality of the 2.2.3 install was that it did not overwrite 2.2.2. Out of space - Thank you both for your time and help. NeoOffice is great!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1