· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Enhanced mouse wheel support
Enhanced mouse wheel support

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Enhanced mouse wheel support

Up until now, due to limitations in Apple's Java, NeoOffice users suffered from the following mouse wheel problems:

- No mouse wheel scrolling in popup menus and lists
- No horizontal mouse wheel scrolling

Well I finally found a way to bypass Java's limitations and handle native mouse wheel events correctly. So, if you use a mouse wheel and either of the above problems has annoyed you, I have a test patch that you can try.

You can test the enhanced mouse wheel support by installing the following test patch:

PowerPC:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-1-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-1-Test-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject:

You, good sir, are the Mæstro of mæstros! Very Happy

Two-fingered scrolling is one of those things that you don't realize how addicted to it you've become until you hit some place where it doesn't work, and horizontally in Neo has been one of those places (my old PowerBook being another Razz ).

I noticed just one small bug (10.5.2/Intel):

If you position the cursor over one of the combo boxes in the Writer toolbar (e.g. the styles or zoom), scrolling over it scrolls the contents "in-place" when the combo box isn't dropped down to display the child window, whereas native combo boxes (e.g. Network Utility's Whois tab's server combo box) don't.

To be honest, this may not be a new bug, as I'd never tried that before; I did it accidentally as a result of playing with the scrolling in their dropped-down child windows Wink

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Enhanced mouse wheel support

I was hoping that your wizardry would enable this feature some day!

Testing the patch on my MacBook Pro using the trackpad the behavior for horizontal scrolling is reversed from the expected behavior. Moving fingers from left to right scrolls from right to left. This is counter to how it behaves in the finder, moving fingers left to right scrolls left to right.

Should I file a bug?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject:

Offhand do you know if the behaviour also reversed with a mouse scrollball? If so we just need to multiply the factor by -1.

ed
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Offhand do you know if the behaviour also reversed with a mouse scrollball? If so we just need to multiply the factor by -1.

ed

Yes, it's the same with the Mighty Mouse.

Jacqueline
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
If you position the cursor over one of the combo boxes in the Writer toolbar (e.g. the styles or zoom), scrolling over it scrolls the contents "in-place" when the combo box isn't dropped down to display the child window, whereas native combo boxes (e.g. Network Utility's Whois tab's server combo box) don't.

This is normal behavior for OpenOffice.org. While NeoOffice does draw native combo boxes, NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code still does all of the event handling. In this particular case, the OpenOffice.org Writer code reacts to the mouse scroll event by changing the selected item in the combo box.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Enhanced mouse wheel support

miggs wrote:
Testing the patch on my MacBook Pro using the trackpad the behavior for horizontal scrolling is reversed from the expected behavior. Moving fingers from left to right scrolls from right to left. This is counter to how it behaves in the finder, moving fingers left to right scrolls left to right.

Ed was correct, the horizontal scroll events need to be multiplied by -1 when our code converts native events to OpenOffice.org event format.

I have made this change in the following test patch. Does horizontal scrolling now work correctly?:

PowerPC:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-1-Test-4-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://jane.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-1-Test-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Enhanced mouse wheel support

miggs wrote:
horizontal scrolling is reversed from the expected behavior.

Apparently I was so blown away by the feature I failed to notice that bug Razz

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Enhanced mouse wheel support

pluby wrote:
I have made this change in the following test patch. Does horizontal scrolling now work correctly?

Yes Smile (10.5.2/Intel/Trackpad)

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject:

Curious behaviour, horizontal scrolling in calc with the trackpad on my MBP: say the cursor is in cell A20, then I scroll right a few times until I'm in double-letter territory - and the doc window is still showing rows 1-38.

Then I scroll left again to get back to column A; everything's fine until the last left scroll, at which point the screen jumps down around 10-20 rows so the top rows no longer show in the doc window and I have to scroll up.

Is this because I'm left-handed? Confused

- padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Is this because I'm left-handed? Confused

Absolutely. Smile

Just kidding. I can reproduce this behavior and since I cannot do horizontal scrolling in the OOo X11 or Aqua builds, I put some debug statements in my code and I am seeing a vertical Java mouse wheel every so often even though all of the native events are horizontal. So it is obviously a bug in my code somewhere.

I'll post another test patch when I have a fix for this bug.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject:

The natives are restless...
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Enhanced mouse wheel support

sardisson wrote:
pluby wrote:
I have made this change in the following test patch. Does horizontal scrolling now work correctly?

Yes Smile (10.5.2/Intel/Trackpad)

Smokey

+1 Intel 10.5.2 Mighty Mouse

Very nice new feature, Thanks a lot!

Jacqueline
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject:

On my quite old PowerBook I've installed (ages ago Wink) SideTrack, a little program which allows scrolling and rigth-clicking with the trackpad. It works fine with Test 4. Very Happy

Jacqueline
glawrie
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject:

+1 Works (scrolling in menus) on Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman running on 10.5.2 on PPC (Apple OS X not Logitech drivers).
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2