· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Media Browser Support
Media Browser Support

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject:

Actually, I think there may be several other missing extensions.

For MPEG, I notice .mp2 is allowed, but neither .m2v nor .m2a are yet valid (but they exist).

For Windows Media, .wmv is supported, but .wma and .asf need to be added.

For Ogg media, .ogg is supported, but not .ogv, .oga, .ogx, maybe even .ogm although that's apparently not the same container as ogv/oga/ogx/ogg.

Some of them (.m2v, .m2a, .ogv, .oga, .ogx) may also not work via Insert > Movie and Sound yet either. I will test them in QuickTime first, but with Perian installed I suspect that Ogg variants will work, and m2v/m2a should work in QuickTime if the MPEG-2 Component is installed.

Edit: Actually, Perian doesn't add support for the various .og* extensions in QuickTime, but the component downloadable from Xiph.org does (.ogg, but also .oga, .ogv, .ogx).

Also, I found two other extensions that work in QuickTime if Perian is installed: .flv (Flash Video) and .mkv (Matroska container).

Edit 2: .m1a and .m1v are also valid MPEG extensions. BTW, it's difficult to find information about .m2a and .m1a (and they're almost never used), but it seems Apple has been using those at some point.

Edit 3: OK. I have verified that the following extensions work in QuickTime, provided the necessary components are installed:

- MPEG: .m1v, .m1a, .m2v, .m2a;

- Windows Media: .wma, .asf;

- Ogg container with Ogg media: .ogv, .oga, .ogx;

- Flash: .flv;

- Matroska container: .mkv;

All these extensions will not work at present via drag and drop. Some also won't work with Insert > Movie and Sound, and will need to be added there as well.

Regarding .ogm, from the information I could gather, it is a hack of the .ogg container to allow using formats other than Ogg media (Vorbis, Theora etc). Since the XiphQT component adds QuickTime support for the .ogg container, it could work provided QuickTime has the appropriate codec/component for the format used in the .ogm file. However, since I haven't been able to find any .ogm files using other codecs than Xiph.org-stanctioned ones (Vorbis, Theora etc.), and have no way to author such a file, I can't verify that it works or not.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
All these extensions will not work at present via drag and drop. Some also won't work with Insert > Movie and Sound, and will need to be added there as well.

If some don't work with Insert :: Movie and Sound, it means they are not supported by Apple's QuickTimeView. Remember that only QuickTime Player allows playing of protected videos. So, to test if it is a protected video, open the file in Safari by selecting Safari's File :: Open File menu. Which of the listed file extensions don't load?

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Samwise wrote:

If some don't work with Insert :: Movie and Sound, it means they are not supported by Apple's QuickTimeView. Remember that only QuickTime Player allows playing of protected videos. So, to test if it is a protected video, open the file in Safari by selecting Safari's File :: Open File menu. Which of the listed file extensions don't load?

Patrick

I haven't tested them via Insert > Movie and Sound. IIRC, you had to add the extensions manually when you introduced QuickTime video support, and I was guessing some of them hadn't been added to the list of valid extensions for that. I have only been able to find neojava/avmedia/source/viewer/mediawindow.cxx, which I understands defines valid extensions for drag and drop and/or the media browser.

However, if valid extensions of Insert > Movie and Sound are defined differently and do not need to be hardcoded in a source file, all extensions mentioned above should work that way too. I did not test any protected files (and it doesn't matter anyway, AFAIK - even if protected .mov files exist, for example, it doesn't mean that all .mov files are protected and that the extension should not be considered valid).

Edit: I may have misunderstood what you meant by protected Embarassed

Indeed, while .asf or .wma files are seen by Safari, some like .ogg/.og*, .mkv, and .flv cannot be selected in Safari's open file dialog.

Last edited by Samwise on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:51 am; edited 2 times in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
However, if valid extensions of Insert > Movie and Sound are defined differently and do not need to be hardcoded in a source file, all extensions mentioned above should work that way too. I did not test any protected files (and it doesn't matter anyway, AFAIK - even if protected .mov files exist, for example, it doesn't mean that all .mov files are protected and that the extension should not be considered valid).

Insert :: Movie and Sound does not look at the extensions list. Set the filter to All (*.*) in the file open dialog and if an extension loads, I'll add them to the list so that dragging works.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Samwise wrote:

Insert :: Movie and Sound does not look at the extensions list. Set the filter to All (*.*) in the file open dialog and if an extension loads, I'll add them to the list so that dragging works.

Patrick

Samwise wrote:
Edit: I may have misunderstood what you meant by protected Embarassed

Indeed, while .asf or .wma files are seen by Safari, some like .ogg/.og*, .mkv, and .flv cannot be selected in Safari's open file dialog.

It looks like Safari is not a good application to test. It's won't let me open .flv, but Insert > Movie and Sound will let me add them to a NeoOffice document, and the movie will play. It looks like I will have to test each extension in NeoOffice then Sad
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject:

There we go. I tested all files via Insert > Movie and Sound, and they all work (and playback), that is:

- MPEG: .m1v, .m1a, .m2v, .m2a;

- Windows Media: .wma, .asf;

- Ogg container with Ogg media: .ogv, .oga, .ogx;

- Flash: .flv;

- Matroska container: .mkv;

Interestingly, I tried to insert an .ogg in Writer earlier, but it didn't work. I thought this time it was because I tested it in Impress, so I tested the same .ogg file in Writer, and it worked as well. I then tested all .og* files I have (that is, Cool, and they all worked in Writer and Impress Confused

I guess it just took NeoOffice longer than QuickTime Player to register/recognize the XiphQT component… anyway, now all .og* files (except .ogm, which I haven't tested) insert and play fine in NeoOffice via Insert > Movie and Sound Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for checking these extensions. I have added them to the code and they will be included in the next test patch.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject:

I recommend Perian:

Quote:
Perian enables QuickTime application support for additional Media Types:

* AVI, FLV, and MKV file formats
* MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivX, H.264, FLV1, FSV1, VP6, H263I, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), MPEG Layer II Audio
* AVI support for: AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, and VBR MP3
* Subtitle support for SSA and SRT
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I recommend Perian:

Quote:
Perian enables QuickTime application support for additional Media Types:

* AVI, FLV, and MKV file formats
* MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivX, H.264, FLV1, FSV1, VP6, H263I, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), MPEG Layer II Audio
* AVI support for: AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, and VBR MP3
* Subtitle support for SSA and SRT

Question
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Just a note, it seems to have support for more formats than the XiphQT component...

-Oz

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject:

OK, the double-click to open bug should now be fixed next test patch for Dutch; it should open on the first click of the toolbar button.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Media Browser Support

FYI. I have made the following changes:

- Added the various file extensions that jgd and Samwise listed in their posts as valid movie and sound files
- Added Ed's fix for the Dutch "failure to open" problem

I have spun a new test patch with the changes so please install the following test patch:

PowerPC:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-2-Test-4-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-2-Test-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject:

It works now for .m4a files.

The audio protected files can be inserted via Insert > Movie and Sound. That doesn't work with MediaBrowser.

Some translations are missing in the French version. Tell me if and how I can help.

Jacqueline
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Just a note, it seems to have support for more formats than the XiphQT component...

-Oz

Actually Perian doesn't support more formats. It supports different formats. From their description which you posted above, they only add support for Ogg Vorbis (audio) in a Matroska container, and as far as I can tell this is all it does in terms of Ogg support. I had to install XiphQT because I couldn't get Ogg files to work in QuickTime with Perian…
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject:

Good point. I was a bit sloppy there. I found out I actually had the XiphQT installed as well Smile.

I just checked and there is no info in the Wiki on how to expand your Quicktime capability to deal with these formats.

I suggest makign a page, but I couldn't really pick a place for it in the collection of information that is already there. Somewhere in 'Hints and Tips' with a link from the relevant part in 'feature Comparison' maybe?

best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7