· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Native floating palette support
Native floating palette support

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flix
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject:

I installed the patch and the response is indeed much faster. Good work!!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Native floating palette support

FYI. I posted a new test patch with the following changes:

1. I fixed some problems with the new native palettes described at the end of bug 2894.

2. I have made the document window's menus appear when a native palette has focus. In such a case, when you select a menu or press a menu keyboard shortcut, the menu actdion will be routed to the document window.

3. I have made my palette docking fix for Tiger work on Leopard.

4. I fixed another old annoying Java bug when docking native palettes. Up until now, when you dragged a palette window to a point where it would dock and released the mouse, the docking would not occur until you moved the mouse out of the palette window's titlebar. I have fixed it so that it will dock immediately upon release of the mouse.

You can download the new test patch from the following URLs:

PowerPC:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-2-Test-10-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-2-Test-10-Intel.dmg

Patrick
kmorris
Sentinel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Today I did something silly (waving my mouse around or something) and managed to undock the Slides pane in Impress. It would not re-dock, the close button wouldn't do anything, and every presentation I opened had the Slides pane floating off by itself. Arghh!

Searched the forums, and found this test patch, installed and now it docks again. And discovered you fixed this less than a week ago... spooky.

Thanks,
-K
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject:

Note: another workaround for redocking toolbars is to enlarge the toolbar window until you can see the "final" button for managing the toolbars (it's pretty nondescript...looks like a little downward pointing arrow after the last toolbar button...it's not always visible or clickable). That's kind of the popup menu for the entire toolbar. If you click that button there's a "Dock" entry in the menu that appears that can be used to redock the toolbar instead of finnagling with the odd drag and drop ordering. I hated that DnD docking stuff in Visual Studio, and I hate it in OOo as well Smile

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject:

Also, again, great congratulations to Patrick for all of the insane work on this. I just helped to find the initial hack; Patrick's really been running around like a headless chicken with tons of irons in the fire and has done a fantastic job on this in an amazingly short timespan. Bravo.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
e.g. in iWeb if you are typing in a text area and click on buttons in the Text palette there is no need to click back in the text area to keep typing as the main window has not lost focus.

Unfortunately the refocusing of the main window will continue to be required. OOo grabs the keyboard when floating windows are focused to do keyboard navigation between controls in the palette as well as text input; the inclusion of forwarding for the menubar is probably the maximum we can get without potentially breaking keyboard functionality in floating palettes.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject:

FYI. Since there have been no problems reported since I posted the last test patch, I think that we can release it in NeoOffice 2.2.3 Patch 3 in the coming week.

If you want to test the latest code just to make sure that I didn't inadvertently break anything, you can download the latest test patch from the following URLs:

PowerPC:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-2-Test-12-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-2-Test-12-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject:

Correction: I uploaded a new test patch as the last one was missing a font kerning fix for printing. Please download the following test patch if you downloaded test patch 12.

If you want to test the latest code just to make sure that I didn't inadvertently break anything, you can download the latest test patch from the following URLs:

PowerPC:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-2-Test-13-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-2-Test-13-Intel.dmg

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject:

A support query I've been trying to help with led me to experiment with the Styles palette in NeoOffice and in the OOo v3 aqua beta, and I thought it appropriate to raise my question in this thread too:

Now that the NO palettes are not behaving like separate open windows, could there be any way to:

i) either navigate to the open palette using the keyboard, or
ii) give the newly opened palette focus by default?

I'm trying to help someone use their Styles palette without needing mouse clicks, and it is possible to navigate all over the Styles palette using just the keyboard once it has focus. (I mentioned OOo v3 above because I notice that when you open a palette there, it gets focus by default.)

Getting focus seems to me the preferred behaviour for a newly opened palette - for general usability, and for disability access use too. For one thing, you can use it straight from the keyboard that way, and for another, if it has focus you can banish it with Esc once you've glanced at it, even if you don't use it.

What do you think - is this possible/preferred by others?

- padmavyuha
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject:

When you go to Format > Styles and formatting, you get a floating window called "Styles and Formatting", and when you hit Command-F11 you get another, different, floating window called "Style Catalog". The two palettes give you the same possibilities. But the "Style Catalog" is more "Mac like". Strange Smile

I agree with yoxi's suggestion, if it doesn't require a lot of coding…

Jacqueline
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Getting focus seems to me the preferred behaviour for a newly opened palette - for general usability, and for disability access use too. For one thing, you can use it straight from the keyboard that way, and for another, if it has focus you can banish it with Esc once you've glanced at it, even if you don't use it.

Huh? You want us to start emulating bugs in OpenOffice.org Aqua Beta? Not only is this not how native palettes work, but it is also not how the OpenOffice.org code works? In OOo, their code specifically tries to open floating windows without focus.

While I understand the desire to reegineer NeoOffice to accomodate someone's specific needs. However, the reason I put in native palettes (and why I spent many, many hours before that getting the floating windows to not have focus) was not because I thought it was a neat feature. Instead, it was because users kept filing bugs that said "floating windows should not focus by default" and "floating windows should not obtain focus when pressing Command-`". Clearly, most users expect that NeoOffice palettes behave the same as palettes in Apple's applications.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject:

[reply to Jacqueline:] The Style Catalogue palette is from the Templates category - I didn't see it as I had overwritten it ages ago with Styles & Formatting to free up F11 for something else... in fact, the Style Catalogue does what I have asked the Styles & Formatting palette to do, which is to have immediate focus and be navigable sans souris. It is a strange duplication of function, but then I suppose that styles are a kind of template, so the Style Catalogue window is more along the lines of a template manager.

[reply to Patrick:] Oh, okay then - I had no idea that the 'don't focus by default' and the 'don't behave like an open window' were that inextricably intertwined.
I am personally mystified that anyone would want to open a palette in order *not* to go ahead and use it, but if that's what most folk have requested, then there you go, especially if it's how other Apple apps do their thing. Meanwhile, the Style Catalogue panel that Jacqueline found sorts out the support question (and keeps me happy, at least for that function) without any changes needed to NeoOffice, so that's alright, eh? Smile

- padmavyuha

Last edited by yoxi on Thu May 08, 2008 8:19 am; edited 2 times in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject:

On Mac OS X, palette windows don't get focus by default when you open them (not the kind of focus you mean); you have to press Ctrl-F6 to focus them (and then have Full Keyboard Access on to do something useful with a focused palette).

Edit: Er, Patrick beat me to it.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
On Mac OS X, palette windows don't get focus by default when you open them (not the kind of focus you mean); you have to press Ctrl-F6 to focus them (and then have Full Keyboard Access on to do something useful with a focused palette).

I just tested this and it appears that Ctrl-F6 has no effect on NeoOffice so I need to fix that.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
In OOo, their code specifically tries to open floating windows without focus.

Oh well, they've still to fix that in the beta, then Smile
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3