Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Password won't work-- Can't Update
Password won't work-- Can't Update

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iship
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Password won't work-- Can't Update

I was told my password was invalid when trying to update from NeoOffice 2.2.5 patch 5 to patch 7. I am quite sure it's the right password, tried repeatedly to use it, and then even tried my Trinity username-- but no go. The same thing happened when trying to update my Parallels 4 (virtual windows on Mac) program this morning-- I was told my password was invalid. Should I install the Mac OS disc and follow the instructions to change the password? I'd be happy to do that, but it still leaves the question unresolved of why the passwords suddenly don't work. Could there be a malicious program that wiped them out?

So-- what should I do to be able to install the patch; and, a background question, why in the world could my passwords have stopped working?

I would much appreciate any light that might be shed on this problem. Grazie from me, Barbara
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Password won't work-- Can't Update

The password that the installer asks for is your Mac OS X user password. It is not any password that we set.

The NeoOffice patch installer uses the Mac OS X installer tool and it is Apple's Mac OS X installer tool that is asking for a password. The same Mac OS X installer tool is what asks you a password when you install any Mac OS X system updates.

Do you know your Mac OS X user password? If so, does entering that password work?

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Password won't work-- Can't Update

Your Mac OS X user password is required to install NeoOffice patches.

iship wrote:
Should I install the Mac OS disc and follow the instructions to change the password?

The answer to this is yes if you do not know your password. See this article at Apple support for more information.

Here are a couple of things to check before changing the password:

- Are you logged in as the user you think you are? In the finder does the house icon show the name you expect?

- Is caps lock on? (Sorry to ask the obvious, but I hit this myself last week.)

I myself do not know why the password changed. I have not heard of this before. Maybe another NeoOffice volunteer may have an idea.

Does resetting the password work?
--fran
iship
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Thank you so much Fran and Patrick

I will try changing the password using the Mac OS X disc, if I can! I bought this laptop (slightly) used and it was on a network, and the ghost of its former owner and user still floats around-- wish I could exorcise it! Hopefully it will be a simple matter of installing the disc and telling it there's a new administrator (moi) and with a new password.

I'm just knocked out by the speed of your helpful replies. I love the open access community!

I don't have time nor energy to try resetting the password down; I'm overdue on getting a manuscript to a publisher. But I will try tomorrow and if there are any problems let you know.

Again, grazie, grazie. B
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject:

You should copy your data to a USB memory stick and just erase the entire hard drive.

Shocking that the original user didn't do this before selling it.
iship
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Will do MacRat!

Thank you MacRat! I will do that asap! B
crayZ
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: password

the same thing is happening to me on mac its a new computer iv had it for about 6 months but im the only one that has ever had it. i try the password i know it is and i know im not mistyping it. it happened once before it wouldnt let me log in so i restarted it and it worked then but now i want to update my computer and it says my password is wrong and i KNOW its now wrong any help would be great
crayZ
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: again

i just shut it down and wen it restarted it wouldnt let me log in but then i restarted it again and the same password worked to log on the computer but it still wouldnt work on my update app i know its the right password and i know caps lock is not on i know im not missing a key at all iv typed it in 20 times at least any help would make my day so much better
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately, you really do need to remember your passwords for logging into the computer. There's no general workaround for what happens for a lost password. You may be able to do this if you have a startup disk. See:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1274

If your password is letting you log into the machine but isn't working for Software Update, your user account may not have "admin" access. Many times systems administrators do not give out admin privileges for users of laptops on loan. If that is the case your system administrator will need to install the patches for all of the applications on your computer (and Apple Software Updates, etc.).

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1