Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - what is the md5 checksum of NeoOffice-2.2.2-PowerPC.dmg
what is the md5 checksum of NeoOffice-2.2.2-PowerPC.dmg

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danaronson
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: what is the md5 checksum of NeoOffice-2.2.2-PowerPC.dmg

I like to verify my downloaded software and I can't find a checksum list anywhere. What is the checksum supposed to be for this file and can't checksums be added somewhere on the website? Thanks.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject:

I don't have access to the webserver right now so I cannot tell you the MD5 checksum, but the download is a .dmg file which has it own internal checksum that Apple's .dmg handler uses to verify the integrity of the file.

Also, all of the mirrors that we have use rsync which does checksumming on both the source and the destination to ensure that files are mirrored without corruption.

As for why we don't post checksums on our website, the simple answer is that there is already too much information there that we have found is critical to many users. Sure, the "Download for PowerPC-based Mac machine" seems like it could be trimmed, but this actually eliminated a constant flood of "where is the download for Mac link?".

We also have squeezed in file sizes as it is something that users can easily check in the Finder to see if the download won't open because their browser truncated the download. This may sound rare, but it has been a problem in all Mac browsers for as long as I can remember.

BTW, are you looking to mirror NeoOffice? If so, let us know and we'll send you a link to the mirroring instructions.

Patrick
danaronson
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject:

I understand, but really don't think this is good enough. What if a hacked dmg file gets put up between rsync's & checks? Just saying that the thing is internally consistant doesn't tell me that it is YOUR version. It seems to be that either a sticky post to a forum or a link from the download page listing all official released checksums wouldn't be that complicated and would help insure security and integrety of you folks too. Please consider.

--dan
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps a spot can be found in the Wiki for this sort of info?

best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have posted the MD5 checksums for in the NeoWiki for NeoOffice and for RetroOffice.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Can we get someone to write up a quick tutorial for how to check these and add it to the top (or bottom) of each of those pages?

I'm going to link the NeoOffice Release Notes and the "Downloading" section of the RetroOffice page to the respective MD5SUMs page to make it easier for interested parties to find them, but other people who happen upon those pages might want to know what to do with an MD5SUM Wink

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Can we get someone to write up a quick tutorial for how to check these and add it to the top (or bottom) of each of those pages?

I'm not so sure this is really necessary since most people who care about MD5 checksums are pretty technical people and already know how to calculate the MD5 checksum for a file.

But, if someone wants to add it, here are the steps that I use to calculate the MD5 checksum for a file. Note: these instructions only work on Mac OS X:

1. Open the /Applications/Utilites/Terminal application
2. Execute the following command in the Terminal window:
Code:
md5 /absolute/path/to/a/file

3. Visually compare the output of the command to the MD5 checksum listed for the same file on the NeoWiki page

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1