Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Search Help?!
Search Help?!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fargo
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Search Help?!

Could you please help me to find every dot (.) in my document that is between two digits and replace it with a comma, e.g: 9.1 becomes 9,1

I have tried to search by format and regular expression but non worked for me.

Thank you in advance.
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Search for: ([0-9])\.([0-9])
Replace: $1,$2

Explanation:
Searching for [0-9] finds any digit. You have to escape the dot, because otherwise it directs the finding of *any* character--so you want to find the literal dot.

The parentheses are cool. Enclosing a search term in them "brands" whatever's found in that place like AWK or PERL's terms. So we enclose the set of digits in parens, separate with the escaped dot, and repeat the paren-enclosed search for a number.

In the "Replace" box, the $ represents what was found by the parenthesized expressions. The $1 represents the first set, and of course the $2 represents whatever was found by the second set. So we're replacing the first found number with itself, adding the comma, and replacing the second parenthesized find with itself.

Oh, and don't forget to check the "Regular Expressions" box under the "more options" button in the Find & Replace dialog.

Last edited by Jim on Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Oops, Jim just beat me to it Wink

Jim, do you have a wiki account? I think this is probably a good example to add to the examples section of Using Find and Replace. If you don't have one, I (or another wiki-elf) can add it.

Smokey

Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Smokey, go ahead and add it. I don't have a wiki account (at least, not that I know of.) Not sure how to work that thing anyway.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Jim wrote:
Smokey, go ahead and add it. I don't have a wiki account (at least, not that I know of.) Not sure how to work that thing anyway.

Now that you do have an account, I'll let you add this, too Wink

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject:

Thank you Jim.

Unfortunately, it does not work for me Confused The string found is literally replaced with $1,$2. I mean, the dots are not replaced with commas, but the whole thing is replaced by text "$1,$2" !!
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject:

fargo wrote:
Thank you Jim.

Unfortunately, it does not work for me Confused The string found is literally replaced with $1,$2. I mean, the dots are not replaced with commas, but the whole thing is replaced by text "$1,$2" !!
Fargo,
I just did a check with Neo v. 2.5 p 7 on a PPC. I'm sorry to say that the method I described won't work in that version. Neither does the escaped version, \1 and \2.

Since I don't have your data to work with, I can tentatively suggest that you try [0-9]\. as s search string, and replace with &, (ampersand comma). But that will likely cause problems with sentences that end in numbers. You'd have to manually clean such instances. (I.e., search for occurrences of "[0-9], " (digit comma space) and manually do the replacement of the comma with a period.)

However, the method I first described works just fine in NeoOffice v. 3, which will be available on March 31 as a free download. (Or you can donate and download it now.)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1