Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 3 patch 0 didn't appear any directory - A tip
NeoOffice 3 patch 0 didn't appear any directory - A tip

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sqidge
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: NeoOffice 3 patch 0 didn't appear any directory - A tip

This was going to be a cry of pain - I installed NeoOffice 3, but couldn't find it anywhere after directing the install to my 'apps&date' volume'. It was gone!

1) I now see that Find does not include or search an attached FW multi partitioned disk when 'This Mac' is the search area nominated. What the . . ?

2) My 'apps&data' partition on the primary HD is arranged graphically, with icon-less folders & grey labels, and titles denoting general organisation or layout separating files & folders in a single vertical list. One such was labelled ' Applications' - guess where NeoOffice was installed? Wrong. It was installed into the backup copy of that folder over on the external hard drive!

Moral? errmm. Never name anything ' Applications' perhaps? Case closed.

(MBP, 10.4.11 or 10.5.5, two multi-partitioned HDs)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 3 patch 0 didn't appear any directory - A tip

Sqidge wrote:
1) I now see that Find does not include or search an attached FW multi partitioned disk when 'This Mac' is the search area nominated. What the . . ?

This is a known limitation of Apple's Mac OS X installer tool that has existed as long as we have been releasing NeoOffice: the installer tool will not display FireWire and USB drives. NeoOffice uses Apple's installer tool so if the Apple installer won't show a volume, NeoOffice has no way to install to it.

Sqidge wrote:
2) My 'apps&data' partition on the primary HD is arranged graphically, with icon-less folders & grey labels, and titles denoting general organisation or layout separating files & folders in a single vertical list. One such was labelled ' Applications' - guess where NeoOffice was installed? Wrong. It was installed into the backup copy of that folder over on the external hard drive!

In 5 years of using Apple's installer tool, I have never seen anything like this. Could you elaborate more of this? NeoOffice has set Apple's installer tool's configure file to install only in the /Applications/NeoOffice.app folder.

Is it possible that the /Applications folder on the target volume is really an alias or softlink to another folder? If so, like any Mac OS X application, Apple's installer will follow any aliases to their real location.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 3 patch 0 didn't appear any directory - A tip

pluby wrote:
In 5 years of using Apple's installer tool, I have never seen anything like this. Could you elaborate more of this? NeoOffice has set Apple's installer tool's configure file to install only in the /Applications/NeoOffice.app folder.

Is it possible that the /Applications folder on the target volume is really an alias or softlink to another folder? If so, like any Mac OS X application, Apple's installer will follow any aliases to their real location.

I forgot to add a little more detail of what the Apple installer tool does once you select a volume to install to:

1. Apple's installer tool will check if an /Applications/NeoOffice.app folder exists and, if the folder or its parent folder does not exist, it will create them using the equivalent of the following Terminal command where <volume_name> is name of the volume that you selected in the installer:

Code:
mkdir -p /Volumes/<volume_name>/Applications/NeoOffice.app

2. Apple's installer tool will create a "installation receipts" folder using the quivalent of the following Terminal command where <chip> is "Intel" or "PowerPC" depending on which type of machine you have:

Code:
mkdir -p /Volumes/<volume_name>/Library/Receipts/NeoOffice-3.0-<chip>.pkg

3. Apple's installer tool will then unzip all of the NeoOffice files using the equivalent of the following Terminal command:

Code:
cd /Volumes/<volume_name>/Applications/NeoOffice.app ; \
pax -r -z -f </path>

If you believe that something different occurred during your installation, can you launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal command, copy the following commands into the Terminal window, press the Return key, and paste the output into this forum topic?:

Code:
ls -ld /Applications
ls -ld /Applications/NeoOffice.app
ls -ld /Library/Receipts/NeoOffice-3.0-*

Patrick

Patrick
Sqidge
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 3 patch 0 didn't appear any directory - A tip

Sqidge wrote:

Pluby said to this: "This is a known limitation of Apple's Mac OS X installer tool"

[...]

Long & careful explanation deleted, because Pluby’s various triggers finally cranked my brain awake.

The answer follows, Pluby. Sorry to have done this to you!

<original>
As mentioned, the install seemed to be (my comment) directed to an empty icon-less greyed folder named ‘Applications’ at the root (sic? Base? First window on the HD) level of the backup partition, which was a SuperDuper 2.5 ‘backup all files’ (erase first then write afresh) duplicate of the ‘(AName)apps&data’ internal HD partition written to the ‘1_(AName)apps&data_BU’ partition sitting on the external (#1) Firewire drive. That folder has no purpose, other than being a visual label.

(See the screen-shot attached)

Version 3.0 was subsequently moved to where I expect to find it, so this would negate the Terminal code you asked me to run, wouldn’t it? In any case it returned

“ls: /Library/Receipts/NeoOffice-3.0-*: No such file or directory
localhost:~”,

but this was run while I was in 10.4 today. I installed v3.0 when I was in 10.5, and yes, there is a receipt for ‘NeoOffice-3.0-Intel.pkg’ in the 10.5 library. Does that file hold any install location info?

(Digs into it . . .)

The Info.plist mentions:
<key>IFPkgRelocatedPath</key>
<string>/Volumes/MBPapps_data/Applications/NeoOffice.app</string>
</dict>
</plist>

</original>

Ah. Bing ! (Sound off, a single clear high bell.)

A quick look into the icon-less ‘Applications’ (labelling) folder on the main internal apps&data partition, and there is the original installed NeoOffice 3.0, blushing Smile

The copy I previously 'discovered' manually over on the backup was the copy of this original, and I didn’t have the wit to think it through.

My bad. My Stupid in fact. Perhaps I’m going blond, not grey? All my labelling folders now are prefixed with an underscore, and the problem is almost certainly eliminated.

My humblest apologies for taking up so much of your time, Pluby, and thanks too for your fast and extensive response.

Mind you, this makes the Find function question now more primary, as to why it never returned a hit on the originally installed v3.0, but could see the dragged copy of the original when it was copied from the backup partition to my normal spot for such an app, in the ‘General Purpose X’ folder.

Probably yet another OS 0.9-OS 9.2.2 luddite’s carry-over organizational habits colliding head on with the happy land of Unix and Terminal et al.

I trust this clarifies the situation? The Apple Installer did exactly what it was designed to do, it's just that my rougue 'Applications' folder was a recent addition. In my previous NeoOffice installs, the app was installe onto the apps&data partition, and I filed it manually.

<sigh>
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 3 patch 0 didn't appear any directory - A tip

Sqidge wrote:
My humblest apologies for taking up so much of your time, Pluby, and thanks too for your fast and extensive response.

No worries. It took only a couple minutes to explain what the installer is doing behind the scenes and I think others may find it useful.

Patrick
Sqidge
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 3 patch 0 didn't appear any directory - A tip

pluby wrote:
No worries. It took only a couple minutes to explain what the installer is doing behind the scenes and I think others may find it usefu

It certainly has been for me. The first time I've seen the function discussed at that depth & clarity.

Excellent.

Cheers

Jen
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 3 patch 0 didn't appear any directory - A tip

Sqidge wrote:
Cheers

Jen

Jen, is that you? We meet again?!

Smokey

Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Smokey!

sardisson wrote:
Sqidge wrote:
Cheers

Jen

Jen, is that you? We meet again?!

Smokey

Smokey! G'day! Yes it is.

You can bowl me over with a feather.

I/we were only reminiscing about you last week, and wondering the where's & whats.

So good to hear your pleasant, and read your rationals once again!

Should we chat somewhere else?
fmoore
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: NeoOffice 3 patch 0 didn't appear any directory - A tip

A variation on this theme: I had an installation of NeoO 2.2.5. I ran the 3.0 installer, and it replaced the v2.2.5 with v3, as one might expect. However, the NeoO in my apps folder still claims to be v2.2.5 even though when I double click on it, v3 launches. I found this confusing at first because I couldn't find the new v3 installation since it was disguised as v2.2.5. I wanted to mention this in case others were confused too. Is this a problem with the installer script? It doesn't seem to be just a Finder update issue because it persists.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 3 patch 0 didn't appear any directory - A tip

fmoore wrote:
A variation on this theme: I had an installation of NeoO 2.2.5. I ran the 3.0 installer, and it replaced the v2.2.5 with v3, as one might expect. However, the NeoO in my apps folder still claims to be v2.2.5 even though when I double click on it, v3 launches. I found this confusing at first because I couldn't find the new v3 installation since it was disguised as v2.2.5. I wanted to mention this in case others were confused too. Is this a problem with the installer script? It doesn't seem to be just a Finder update issue because it persists.

The Finder does cache a lot of data. Have you rebooted your machine since installing NeoOffice 3.0 or relaunched the Finder by pressing the Command-Alt-Escape keys, selecting Finder, and pressing the Relaunch button?

Patrick
fmoore
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Patrick, relaunching the Finder did the trick. I do wish Apple would fix this Finder update issue. It's been hanging around since at least 10.4.0
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1