Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Writing Chinese Characters...
Writing Chinese Characters...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yggdrasil
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Writing Chinese Characters...

Hey, I'm writing a chinese script for class and the conversion tool is acting kind of weird for me.

When I type in certain words (like 呢 or 点) they don't appear at all in the document, or only parts of them do, and instead it puts a bit block of white space where the word should go. I thought it might just be the font so I tried ST FangSong instead.

Characters work fine there.

Only whenever I type in the pinyin, it immediately changes the font back to Arial (where the characters go missing again). Anyway to fix this?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Have you set your document language to Chinese (and have an appropriate font selected for the Asian languages in the Format: Character window, for instance)?

I'm not really familiar enough with Chinese input methods to tell where the problem you're experiencing is occurring, but making sure you have the correct language set for the document/paragraph/etc. and an appropriate default font for that language is always a good start (certain behaviors are conditioned on having the correct language set).

For setting the language, see this article in the NeoWiki (it's about spelling, but the steps are the same).

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Writing Chinese Characters...

Yggdrasil wrote:
When I type in certain words (like 呢 or 点) they don't appear at all in the document, or only parts of them do, and instead it puts a bit block of white space where the word should go. I thought it might just be the font so I tried ST FangSong instead.

What is the name of the font were you have trouble with?

Yggdrasil wrote:
Only whenever I type in the pinyin, it immediately changes the font back to Arial (where the characters go missing again). Anyway to fix this?

Not all Chinese fonts have glyphs for Western European characters (and most Western European fonts do not have glyphs for Chinese characters) so when you are typing Pinyin with such a font, Mac OS X tells NeoOffice that there are no glyphs for the Pinyin characters that you type. In such cases, NeoOffice uses a replacement font that does have glyphs for those characters. In your case, this replacement font, which is also called the fallback font, is Arial.

To use the same font for both Chinese and Pinyin characters, you will need to use Mac OS X's Character Palette to look at a font's available glyphs to see which fonts have both Chinese and Pinyin characters.

Patrick
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Writing Chinese Characters...

Yggdrasil wrote:
Hey, I'm writing a chinese script for class and the conversion tool is acting kind of weird for me.

Which version of NeoOffice are you using?

Which version of Mac OS X?

Did you try typing the same phrase in Apple's Text Edit application?

Yggdrasil wrote:
(like 呢 or 点)

What is the pinyin for these characters so others can try to reproduce it?
Yggdrasil
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject:

@sardisson: Language already has Chinese set. And I took a brief look over the article you sent. The problem I'm having though is that the font change when I'm writing the characters. I have to reselect the word and change the font manually each time for it to stay the same. It ends up being a bother when you have seventy lines to translate.

@pluby: I think it was Arial. Or one of the fonts with # in front of it (PiGli Regular, etc). I can't remember, I must've cycled through most of them before finding a font that didn't leave white spaces between words.

@MacRat: My NeoOffice is 2.2.5 with Patch 7. And my computer is OSX. And the pinyin for those characters are ne (呢)and dian (点). Although...when I tried typing them into NeoOffice again, the characters didn't disappear anymore. I'm kind of wondering if it was just NeoOffice acting up?

It does work on NeoOffice but I never checked when the characters were messing up.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject:

I just set my font to STFangsong, set the input method to Pinyin, typed "ni" and "hao", and the 你好 appeared as expected. However, what I noticed was that the Font Name in the toolbar changed to Arial.

This reminded me that in NeoOffice, there are actually three different font settings for text (Western, Asian, and CTL) and the Font Name combobox in the toolbar will only change one of them.

So, can you try the following steps and tell us if the switch to the Arial font stops?:

1. Select all of the text in your document by selecting the Edit :: Select All menu and then select the Format :: Character menu.

2. In the dialog that appears, click on the Font tab and change all three fonts to the disired font. In my case, I changed them all to STFangsong. Then press the OK button.

Does the font stop changing to Arial after the above steps?

Patrick
Yggdrasil
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject:

It works! Very Happy

Thank you so much!

Although I didn't see three fonts (only two, there wasn't a CTL). But I typed in my characters and they didn't switch back to Arial at all. Thanks again!
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject:

Ah, that seems funny. Did you activate support for complex scripts and asian languages?

It is in Menu::Preferences::Language Settings::Languages.

Best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1