Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 3.0 - Documents inaccessible after crash
3.0 - Documents inaccessible after crash

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pirandot
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: 3.0 - Documents inaccessible after crash

NeoOffice crashed twice. The documents opened during the crash, can't be changed with NeoOffice or OpenOffice after the crash. Mac Os X is telling me, that these files are still locked by me ... Sad
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject:

It is difficult to guess what is the problem without seeing the crash log. Can you attach a crash log using the steps in the following NeoWiki article? If you are seeing repeated crashes with NeoOffice, then something unusual is happening on your system and figuring what is causing the crash may help us answer your question:

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Bugzilla_Guide#Obtaining_a_crashlog_when_NeoOffice_crashes

Patrick
pirandot
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject:

The crashes happened while I had worked with the "Duden Korrektor für OpenOffice.org 5.0" … Shocked
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject:

pirandot wrote:
The crashes happened while I had worked with the "Duden Korrektor für OpenOffice.org 5.0" … Shocked

That is not what I asked for. Please following the link to the NeoWiki article in my previous post and following the steps for obtaining a Mac OS X crash log. You will probably need to use the steps for "Option B" in that article to get the crash log for your last crash.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject:

One more question: when you say that Mac OS X says the file is locked, what is the exact message that is displayed on the screen?

Patrick
pirandot
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Die Datei 'blabla.odt' ist zum Bearbeiten gesperrt durch:

André Piotrowski [<= that's me! Shocked ] (Date and Time)

Öffnen Sie das Dokumenz schreibgeschützt oder erstellen Sie eine Arbeitskopie.

[Schreibgeschützt öffnen] [Arbeitskopie öffnen] [Abbrechen]
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject:

pirandot wrote:
Die Datei 'blabla.odt' ist zum Bearbeiten gesperrt durch:

André Piotrowski [<= that's me! Shocked ] (Date and Time)

Öffnen Sie das Dokumenz schreibgeschützt oder erstellen Sie eine Arbeitskopie.

[Schreibgeschützt öffnen] [Arbeitskopie öffnen] [Abbrechen]

OK. I know what is causing that dialog. That is caused by a temporary file that NeoOffice 3.0's underlying OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 code creates when you open a file. When you close the file, the temporary file gets deleted. However, if NeoOffice or OpenOffice.org crash with the file is open, the temporary file is not deleted and you will get that error if you try to open the file with OpenOffice.org (if NeoOffice crashed) or NeoOffice (if OpenOffice.org crashed).

The simplest way to stop this error is to open the file but open it in the same application that crashed when you last had the file open (NeoOffice in your case?). Then, immediately after opening the file, close the file and you will be able to open in the other application (OpenOffice.org in your case?).

Patrick
pirandot
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Sounds good … Unfortunately, this doesn't work. It's still the same. Sad
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject:

pirandot wrote:
Sounds good … Unfortunately, this doesn't work. It's still the same. Sad

OK. Then you can try manually deleting it using the following steps. Make sure that neither NeoOffice nor OpenOffice.org are running when you do these steps:

1. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application and copy the following text into the terminal window and then press the space key:

Code:
rm

2. Go to the Finder and find the folder that the file you are trying to open is in. Drag that folder into the Terminal window.

3. Type the following characters onto the end of the folder name that you dragged into the Terminal in step 2:

Code:
/.~lock.*

4. Press the Return key.

Can you now open the file without the error dialog appearing?

Patrick
pirandot
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Hip hip hooray … Very Happy

Thanks!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Now that you can open your file, I would still be interested investigating the crashing that you saw in NeoOffice 3.0.

We have already have fixed one Calc crashing bug - bug 3425 - and I suspect that you may have found the same bug or maybe a new crashing bug.

Can you install the test patch from the links listed in my last post in bug 3425 and tell us if you get any more crashes? If you do, can you attach a crash log using the steps in the NeoWiki article in my first post?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1