Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - New Icon and Splash Screen?
New Icon and Splash Screen?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neofx
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: New Icon and Splash Screen?

First of all I want to thank the people that have created neooffice J for the mac. I love it and I use it at work every day.

I would however like ask that and I mean this with all due respect for all involved in the creation of this wonderful software. That if you could update the neooffice logo to reflect what it truly is, a kick butt product.

The current logo and Icon is very bland and not very colorful or descriptive of it's true power. I would like to see more of an OSX like splash screen and icon for neooffice J. Maybe even incorporate the little ( JAVA Icon) Duke Character from Sun Microsystems. As a loyal user of this great software I would like to Thank you again for having a great piece of useful software and I do not mean to insult any one.

I am only trying to add constructive suggestions. Very Happy
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Icon and Splash Screen?

neofx wrote:
First of all I want to thank the people that have created neooffice J for the mac. I love it and I use it at work every day.

And Patrick keeps denying he is a genius Smile.

neofx wrote:
That if you could update the neooffice logo to reflect what it truly is, a kick butt product.

The current logo and Icon is very bland and not very colorful or descriptive of it's true power. I would like to see more of an OSX like splash screen and icon for neooffice J.

I quite agree. There has actually been some discussion about this a week or so ago. If you're interested, see the other thread at: http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=699

If you have any good ideas on where to find such icons or happen to have an artist handy, that would be useful <G>.
neofx
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: more info!

I forgot to add that I am a contractor at Sun Microsystems and I have to tell you. NeoOffice is a welcome site for many people at Sun that use macs.

Up until the truce between Sun and Microsoft there was a need to use anything but Microsoft Office. The pc users had the alternative of using Star Office but the mac faithful were stuck trying to use Open Office which is great but a bit difficult for most people to configure it to work on X11.

Neooffice is so much easier. I would bet that if more input is added to this alternative to Microsoft Office you guys would get the full support of lots of people.

I truly think that a great looking splash screen along with a new icon. Again I don't want to upset or insult any one but really..... the current icon and splash are not very indicative of the power of neoofficeJ.

JAVA is of course very much supported by Sun Microsystems and I happen to occasionaly work with Mr. Goslin the creator of JAVA and I truly believe that there is an upsurge in the use of java technology worldwide.

Please update icon and splash. First impressions are very important in this day an age. Keep up the great work.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: more info!

neofx wrote:
I forgot to add that I am a contractor at Sun Microsystems and I have to tell you. NeoOffice is a welcome site for many people at Sun that use macs.

Well, feel free to push to the mac as a tier one platform to the Powers the Be at Sun Smile. And good to have you on board here <G>.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Set of different icons (Office like) for NeoOffice

neofx wrote:
The current logo and Icon is very bland and not very colorful or descriptive of it's true power. I would like to see more of an OSX like splash screen and icon for neooffice J.

Thanks a lot for porting OpenOffice to Mac OS X. That's a great stuff.

If anyone, as neofx, doesn't like the "ship" style icons, ere is a set of different icons (Office like) for NeoOffice.

Question: does anyone know of to change the splash screen? I think it's hard-coded but couldn't figure out how to change it... Thanks.
lashampoo
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Set of different icons (Office like) for NeoOffice

neofx wrote:

Thanks a lot for porting OpenOffice to Mac OS X. That's a great stuff.

If anyone, as neofx, doesn't like the "ship" style icons, here is a set of different icons (Office like) for NeoOffice.
http://lashampoo.net/unix/NeoOffice_new_icons.tar.gz (260 MB)

Question: does anyone know of to change the splash screen? I think it's hard-coded but couldn't figure out how to change it... Thanks.

(sorry for this second post, I was not registered yet)
gansi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Splash Screen

Hi,

I've found the solution for changing the splash screen:

Take your openintro_novell.png and convert it to bmp! Then rename it to intro.bmp and copy this file to /Applications/NeoofficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS

Thats all!

bye
Gansi

PS: Thanks for the new Icons and splash screen
lashampoo
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: New NeoOffice icons set

Thanks for the trick, gansi. I've updated the Readme file and modified the archive. Get the new archive at:
http://lashampoo.net/unix/NeoOffice_new_icons.tar.gz (236 KB)

neofx wrote:
The current logo and Icon is very bland and not very colorful or descriptive of it's true power. I would like to see more of an OSX like splash screen and icon for neooffice J. Maybe even incorporate the little ( JAVA Icon) Duke Character from Sun Microsystems.

I've done a new splash screen more in sync with the NeoOffice/J project. I added the Java logo according to the neofx idea. Hope I will hurt no one in the NeoOffice team who does a great job.

Last edited by lashampoo on Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: New NeoOffice icons set

lashampoo wrote:
Get the new archive at:
http://lashampoo.net/unix/NeoOffice_new_icons.tar.gz (236 MB)

Just so folks aren't put off taking a look, the file size is actually 236KB and not 236MB!! Very Happy

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject:

Like the icons - not so sure about the splash screen, but it's all down to taste, innit? Thanks for the work.

It's worth mentioning that you need to log out/in again to clear OSX's icon cache from the file associations with the old icons.

- yoxi
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Like the icons - not so sure about the splash screen, but it's all down to taste, innit? Thanks for the work.

It's worth mentioning that you need to log out/in again to clear OSX's icon cache from the file associations with the old icons.

I liked the red icon very much. Good one.
Can anyone tell me how to make these sets?

Ideally, I would like to:
- keep MS Office icons for the respective MS Office files,
- keep the Mac native .txt and .rtf icons,
- have an MS-lookalike icon with the W and the P and a purple upper bar for Wordperfect files.
- keep the ship for the program only (nostalgic reasons) or use the Crystal icon that Kevin Hendricks used for his Tech Preview build.
- retouch/deface (depends on your POV) the official OpenOffice 1.1 splash screen..

And do one of these for the OpenOffice / NeoOffice/J files (.s*):
- use the Crystal icons that Kevin Hendricks used in his Tech Preview / Begin_OOo script for the native Open Office documents.
- use icons like the red one that lashampoo made. Put an O in the upper bar, but keep the MS colors (map blue->writer, green->calc, orange->impress and do other types in red)
- use the icons like the previous but have a W in the blue upper bar for writer, C in a green upper bar for calc and an I in the orange upper bar for impress.

But I don't know where the names and designations for the various icon files are held, and I wonder what a good program to edit these icons would be...

BTW, for the Crystal set, see http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=1615. Not all of these are nice, but I like the uncluttered ones (master document for instance, is not really my thing).

I hope I'm making sense here. My point is that I know what files are opened by NeoOffice/J but I want to be able to see the filetype by the icons.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Just slightly on topic...history for the ship...

The first neo really whipped itself up really quickly as a death march for OSXCON 2002. When I decided to do it GPL and with a new name, I figured it could use a nice splashscreen or something. Not being an artist, I wanted to run out and take a slice off of someone else's stuff so I went to the Library of Congress. They had this entire 18th century map collection online...so I found a cool engraved map and started rummaging through it Smile

Neo started as a prototyping project, kind of "exploring" new ground for porting and doing things that several people didn't think were possible. So I figured that an exploring theme would be kinda cool of a ship sailing to the new lands ahead. And I figured it fit in with the OOo seagulls that could be flying alongside it. The map of course had other cool shit in the water like dragons and mermaids and stuff, but I thought the ship was the best.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject:

And as to the font and color of the "NeoOffice" in the splashscreen...

That was intentionally chosen by Dan to mimic M$ Office...the company and product and platform we would soon destroy Wink

ed
lashampoo
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Thanks

OPENSTEP wrote:
The first neo really whipped itself up really quickly as a death march for OSXCON 2002. When I decided to do it GPL and with a new name, I figured it could use a nice splashscreen or something. Neo started as a prototyping project, kind of "exploring" new ground for porting and doing things that several people didn't think were possible.

Hi Openstep!

Are you THE Edward H. Peterlin? Thanks again for the great work you've done with NeoOffice/J. Thanks to you, I'm the living proof that you can use a computer Micro$oft Free (not even Explorer on my machines). NeoOffice/J is a TRUE alternative to the M$ Office on our platform.

You've done the work Apple should have done if they updated AppleWorks which is the same version since 1991...

I know that a simple Thanks is not enough, so I've donated and hope people who are reading this will do the same.

I hope I didn't hurt you posting an alternate splash screen. As neofx said, the old splash screen didn't reflect the true power of NeoOffice. (I still don't know if the alternate splash screen does too although Wink

Mike.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Just slightly on topic...history for the ship...

Neo started as a prototyping project, kind of "exploring" new ground for porting and doing things that several people didn't think were possible. So I figured that an exploring theme would be kinda cool of a ship sailing to the new lands ahead. And I figured it fit in with the OOo seagulls that could be flying alongside it. The map of course had other cool shit in the water like dragons and mermaids and stuff, but I thought the ship was the best.

Good know. If a new branding of NeoOffice wants to stay on this course, some kind of exploration vehicle is required, but probably of a somewhat more modern theme (reflecting the more mature nature of the software)..

So that means a sailing ship, spaceship or something else. Could also use a snapshot of one of these wormhole tunnels like in Dr. Who or 2001: A Space Odessy. Adobe already uses binoculars and magnifiers, so those are out.

I'd personally throw out the Enterprise (all versions) but consider Spaceship One. I personally like modern sailing boats as well Smile.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7