Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - New Icon and Splash Screen?
New Icon and Splash Screen?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I personally like modern sailing boats as well Smile.
I found out last year that there's a german yacht model called 'yoxi' - go for it!
Speaking of wormholes, I don't think personally I could bear any more 'The future=spaceships' as logo concept - unless it was the one from Contact, which was an international collaborative effort (ah, fiction...), pursuing the goal of communication - oh, wait a minute, isn't that like Ooo...?

- yoxi
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks

lashampoo wrote:
Are you THE Edward H. Peterlin?

Last I checked, and according to the IRS, I am. Funny, though, after all this time, being *the* Edward H Peterlin still hasn't helped me pick up chicks.

lashampoo wrote:
I hope I didn't hurt you posting an alternate splash screen.

Of course not! I was just putting out the history of the ship and how the splashscreen came to be, not defending it or anything. I just thought it was a cool wood engraving picture that had a fun BS story that I could make up for it Wink

ed
foxcorner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: I've created a new sailing ship icon

Actually folks, completely without having seen this thread, I created a new splash screen and icon, mainly because I wanted to learn how to do icon-quality art, and how to make an aqua icon. And... the brown ship icon in my small dock looked rather like bird-poop. Smile

So... this very day I emailed a new ship icon and a new splash image to Patrick Luby, to see what he thinks. Since the use of "NeoOffice" is subject to Edward's permission, I'm not going to post the splash image here, until he's blessed it (or at least said that permission to do what I did is granted).

STOP PRESS - I've just had a reply from Patrick... he likes my work. Sorry I can't show y'all right now - my ISP can't set up my ftp space until tomorrow's office hours...

Stay tuned!

Dan Bennett
bezvardis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: MS free computer

Just wanted to add my thanks for the great job!

In another topic I was talking about difficulties with Latvian fonts that I had while using NeoOffice/j. Well - I experimented a bit also with the newest (as well as older) MS office and have to say that these people have got the meaning of globalisation all wrong... Latvian characters were simply replaced with _ and _. So I was very happy that I had not bought that (very nicely looking though) MS Office. In NeoOffice the text can be read in any case Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Another idea for new Neo/J icon

Hadn't seen this thread and Ed's history of the ship icon until just now, but it set off a lightbulb in my head. Two days ago I visited the Milwaukee Art Museum, which had an expansion built in 2001 by the famous architect Santiago Calatrava. (He's the guy who designed the 2004 Athens Olympic stadium.)

Anyway, the expansion is in the shape of this incredibly futuristic flying/sailing ship -- so if anyone reading this thread is a graphic artist, perhaps these pictures would serve as inspiration: Link #1, Link #2,Link #3. (And a Google search probably turns up quite a few more images if those are too small.) In case it isn't clear from the images, the two wing-like panels are actually opened and closed daily via the attached high-tension steel cables. It is easily one of the most spectacular works of architecture I've seen in a very long time.

-Dave
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I've created a new sailing ship icon

foxcorner wrote:
So... this very day I emailed a new ship icon and a new splash image to Patrick Luby, to see what he thinks. Since the use of "NeoOffice" is subject to Edward's permission, I'm not going to post the splash image here, until he's blessed it (or at least said that permission to do what I did is granted).

Patrick forwarded it to me and I dig it. It's still a ship theme, but it definitely looks much more modern. I'm keen to see what other folks think Smile

ed
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject:

give us the links!! Wink

f.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject:

fabrizio venerandi wrote:
give us the links!! Wink

Smile Have patience Fabrizio, this is eyecandy and we are in the holiday season. I'm sure it will be coming along soon enough.

But I am now *really* looking forward to Patch 6...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
But I am now *really* looking forward to Patch 6...

Sorry to break the bad news, but the new icons and splash screen won't be in "Patch-6". "Patch-6" will hopefully be out this week, but Beta is still a few weeks away.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Sorry to break the bad news, but the new icons and splash screen won't be in "Patch-6". "Patch-6" will hopefully be out this week, but Beta is still a few weeks away.

Oh well, candy for Xmas, then (if all goes well).. Sort of more suitable anyway.
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I've created a new sailing ship icon

OPENSTEP wrote:

Patrick forwarded it to me and I dig it. It's still a ship theme, but it definitely looks much more modern. I'm keen to see what other folks think Smile

ed

Thanks Edward! Very Happy

Just so y'all know, the artwork I did is based very closely on the original ship engraving. Essentially, all I did was to paint over it in Photoshop, making it look a lot more solid and vibrant. Plus I did a blue-green sea background using a sequence of Photoshop filters (Filter->Render->Clouds, then Filter->Render->Wind/Stagger/from-the-left, then Edit->Transform->Perspective... try it if you like Smile).

Then, for an icon, I placed the ship into an aqua icon, which I built from a web tutorial. Wink

So what you'll see is actually an updating of the original imagery, which provides continuity of identity. It's more evolutionary than a new concept. One day we can move on to something else, if that's the way folks want to go.

So... assuming Patrick and Edward want to use it (which seems like it might happen), you'll see it with the next beta release, which is, Patrick says, going to be before Christmas.

As for providing links to it... I'm afraid my ISP's not playing ball at the moment, so I don't have an web-space I can put it into. Edward, do you want to reveal it? (Patrick has the newest rev of the splash image from me as of this evening.)

Dan
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Profile...

Um... where did "Blue Pill" come from?!! Confused

Better check my profile...

Dan
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject:

I can throw things up on the servers here if you need. I'll wait until Patrick forwards the latest stuff along.

The "blue pill" stuff is just a sequence of somewhat themed "ranks" of users. They change based on how much you post. I think you only got two more posts to go b4 it changes (5, 10, 20, ... IIRC is the starting sequence)

ed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I can throw things up on the servers here if you need. I'll wait until Patrick forwards the latest stuff along.

Thanks. It'll be interesting to see what people think.

Dan (soon not to be Blue Pill Smile)
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject:

OK, I took some time off of configuring firewalls (damn hackers) and got some of the images converted as Patrick put the psds in CVS.

Here's the icon:

And here's the splashscreen with its legalese

Thanks again to Dan for just doing these on his own impetus Smile Thoughts? I think it's nifty how it follows the old ship but looks much more modern.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7