Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - New Icon and Splash Screen?
New Icon and Splash Screen?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
How about a flag for a dead country? The black and gold of the austro-hungarian empire is kind of a cool flag:

http://www.fotw.net/flags/ah.html

ed
Hmm... No, you don't want a dead-ender. Smile

I think what I might do is simply to make it look like it's make of gold cloth. Would that please everyone? It'll look nice, it'll have no political/national/organizational connotations or overtones, and it should contrast well with the slighty deBondified sea.

Irrelevant, but: The "Field of the Cloth Of Gold" was an event in 1520, when Henry VIII went over to France for a (kind of) state visit:
http://www.britainexpress.com/History/tudor/cloth-gold.htm

Dan
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject:

How about a combination of signal flags such as N and O instead?

Edit: or NOJ:

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
Re-- nautical splash screens. It seems to have worked before... (Netscape Navigator splash)

LOL - Can't resist saying this, but looks like "Bondi blue" has worked before! Wink

Dan
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
How about a combination of signal flags such as N and O instead?

Hmmm... Not sure that they'll shrink down very prettily. Plus, I don't think they had those symbols in the era of our sailing ship, which might jar a little. Plus, I don't *think* that you'd have letter flags like this as your primary flags on a vessel. More likely to be strung out on a line in a message sequence.

Plus, they're definitely not romantic! And what I like about the ship is its evocative (if somewhat nonsensical/whimsical) romance. No need, IMO, to slap anything modern on it.

Good idea, though. Someone's awake. Wink

Dan
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New splash image - my responses

foxcorner wrote:
Great! No, the ship won't change... except probably the flag. But I'm guessing the flags are too small to see in the document icons?

At 32x32, the flag is a blip in the document icons on my 1440x900 screen, but at anything larger, it starts to become noticeable. I don't know what resolutions (and pixel sizes) are common, or icons display sizes that are common, so for consistency's sake I'll wait on the final outcome of the flag issue.

foxcorner wrote:
sardisson wrote:
But the ship is very nice, very clean, and will look much better on the document icons! Smile

Glad you like it! Smile

My own biggest complaint with my icons was that the ship lost definition quickly at a smaller size, so one day (when I had copious free time!) I was going to go in and remove some of the detail at the smaller sizes...with the new ship, it's not an issue at all!

Smokey
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject:

foxcorner wrote:
I think what I might do is simply to make it look like it's make of gold cloth. Would that please everyone? It'll look nice, it'll have no political/national/organizational connotations or overtones, and it should contrast well with the slighty deBondified sea.

Sounds good! I had been toying with the idea of a rising half-sun on a field of white (see British Columbia for a nice rising half-sun), but I haven't made it through all the flags listed with keyword "sun" to see if it's safe. Smile (Nor am I sure it'd be discernable on the splash screen.)

Smokey
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Ideas are happenin'...

Hi all,

I let my imagination run loose with ideas for a new splash screen, and I've had an *awesome* idea! 'S gonna be hard to pull off, cos I don't know if it's ever been done before... Smile

But if I can do it, it's gonna be one COOL splash!

'S gonna tax my artistic and Photoshop skills to the limit! I'll try to get it done by the end of the weekend, Incredibles permitting. Smile

And yes, the ship will stay the same (apart from gold-cloth flags, or a better idea if anyone comes up with one that I like Wink ). However, the ship in the splash image might end up a little smaller.

Um... Patrick... is there anything that says that the splash image can't be a little bigger? I can imagine we're stuck with this size, 'cos it's where the progress bar expects it to be, right? No worries. It just adds to the challenge...

Dan
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New splash image - my responses

sardisson wrote:
My own biggest complaint with my icons was that the ship lost definition quickly at a smaller size
Like I said in my first posting: bird poop. Smile

sardisson wrote:
so one day (when I had copious free time!) I was going to go in and remove some of the detail at the smaller sizes...with the new ship, it's not an issue at all!
Well, to a certain extent, anyway. But yeah, it holds its visual intelligibility a lot better than the original one.

And no, I'm not planning to make 48x48 and 32x32 simplified versions for the icon family, either! Razz

Dan
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: New splash image - my responses

sardisson wrote:
At 32x32, the flag is a blip in the document icons on my 1440x900 screen, but at anything larger, it starts to become noticeable. I don't know what resolutions (and pixel sizes) are common, or icons display sizes that are common, so for consistency's sake I'll wait on the final outcome of the flag issue.

So Smokey, I take it you're the hero who's going to do the icons, right?

Do you need me to generate a new application aqua icon, with the gold flags? Or can you do that step yourself? I can do it if you need me too.

Dan
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: New app icon and updated document icons

So foxcorner and I have been slaving away in the digital workrooms for a while on all the new pretty images for Neo/J 1.1 Beta, and I've just sent Patrick the Finder icons (and a quick correction of a little blob I caught immediately afterwards), and they're in CVS already!

I didn't have time to do the reworking of the icons that I had planned (*I* was not going to be the cause of a delayed Neo/J beta! Smile), so there are still a number of issues with the base icons in the documents. Maybe before Neo/J 1.1 GM I'll have the time to sit down and rework things....

But here's a quick preview (107KB):

This is going to be an exciting week here in Neo-land!

Smokey
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: New app icon and updated document icons

sardisson wrote:
So foxcorner and I have been slaving away in the digital workrooms for a while on all the new pretty images for Neo/J 1.1 Beta, and I've just sent Patrick the Finder icons (and a quick correction of a little blob I caught immediately afterwards), and they're in CVS already!

Looks pretty sweet Smile.
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject:

As Inspector Gadget would say...

Wowsers!

At least, I think that was the cartoon character who said that.

Let me start over...

Wow! Nice job!!

W
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New app icon and updated document icons

sardisson wrote:
So foxcorner and I have been slaving away...

Thanks for posting these, Smokey! Great job! And I'm so glad you're doing the icons, letting me concentrate on being Le Grande Artiste...

Bring me my cigarette-holder and another mint julip, would you, darling?

...I'm sure I left my beret around here somewhere...

Wink

Dan
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New app icon and updated document icons

foxcorner wrote:
sardisson wrote:

Thanks for posting these, Smokey! Great job! And I'm so glad you're doing the icons, letting me concentrate on being Le Grande Artiste...

And I'm glad you're being Le Grande Artiste, Dan! Your work is stunning and has moved us forward by a great leap!

Cheers!
Smokey
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New app icon and updated document icons

sardisson wrote:
foxcorner wrote:
sardisson wrote:

And I'm glad you're being Le Grande Artiste, Dan! Your work is stunning and has moved us forward by a great leap!

Have you two quite finished patting each other on the back?
You should leave that to the rest of us Smile.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7