Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - New Icon and Splash Screen?
New Icon and Splash Screen?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New app icon and updated document icons

ovvldc wrote:
Have you two quite finished patting each other on the back?
You should leave that to the rest of us Smile.

...and my mint julip?

Wink

Dan
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: small icons

Ahoi there! I wanted to share my opinion about the new icons. I have followed this discussion with great interest because the old icon really looked sad to me. The new version is much better. The large one seems just perfect. However, looking at the small ones I keep on thinking that something is missing there. The nave (is this the English word for the body of a ship?) seems not right. There is something missing that would give a sense of shape. I would suggest to put some accented lines that would stress the shape on the nave in small icons. On the large icon there are already something like that so one can guess the roundish and prolonged shape of the nave. In small icons those lines are not visible and so the nave looks plane and lacks life (unlike the sails).
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: small icons

bezvardis wrote:
Ahoi there! I wanted to share my opinion about the new icons. I have followed this discussion with great interest because the old icon really looked sad to me. The new version is much better. The large one seems just perfect. However, looking at the small ones I keep on thinking that something is missing there. The nave (is this the English word for the body of a ship?) seems not right. There is something missing that would give a sense of shape. I would suggest to put some accented lines that would stress the shape on the nave in small icons. On the large icon there are already something like that so one can guess the roundish and prolonged shape of the nave. In small icons those lines are not visible and so the nave looks plane and lacks life (unlike the sails).

You're quite right - Smokey and I didn't make any effort to improve the smaller icons. For the multiple sizes of the aqua-style icon, we just allowed Icon Composer to make smaller downsamples of the original 128x128 pixel icon. And for the document icons, I expect that Smokey simply used Photoshop to resize the ship image I gave him.

By the way, the word is "hull". Smile

When I look at the document icons, I can see what you're talking about, but to me really the ship looks pretty solid. What you're seeing is that the regions of different colour which give cues about the surface shape are so small in the smaller icons that the cues are no longer strong enough. Yeah, it could be improved, but I don't think we'll bother.

Here's something to remember: I did the artwork as an "update" to the original ship from the 16th century engraving. That original ship is Very Weird Indeed, when you look at it closely! There's no deck, the masts aren't parallel, the hull is too tall and not long enough, etc, etc. I simply painted over it, because I wanted to retain some of its whimsical weirdness. That means that the realism of the ship doesn't stand up to keen inspection. So, if it looks a little flat, I'm not worried.

Maybe when it's time for 2.0, I or someone else will come up with a new round of artwork, for an even-more-updated look.

I don't think I or Smokey are planning to do any more work for 1.1. Can we regard it as WILLNOTFIX? Smile

Can you live with it? Me, I have to live with all the mistakes I (the artist) can see in my own work! Wink

Dan
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject:

ok, so this is WAY off topic, but educational.

nave: the main part of a church; the place where the congregation sits. Derived from an old word for ship; in older churches the beams of the roof resembled the beams and timbers in the sides of a ship.

the 'old word for ship' is latin, navis.

-j
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
the 'old word for ship' is latin, navis.

Hence "navy", for example. Smile

Dan
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Where I did my undergrad, we actually had a chapel that was desinged to resemble a ship. 'Course they didn't teach Latin there, so all of that was lost on everyone except those of us who'd had Latin in high school Smile

As for the document icons, there are a number of things I'd like to try and improve when/if I get the time. Among them is legibility/recognizability at the smaller sizes. But that's time permitting, of course--when I get a good swath of time and have pared down my backlog of work Smile

So in the language of Bugzilla, not WONTFIXed but rather DEFERRED Smile

Smokey
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject:

When I was a student in Wellington New Zealand there was a pub with a bar done as the hold of a wooden ship. They had a stuffed parrot for a while... Yes we used to do the entire Monty Python parrot sketch each and every time we went in there Cool Cool Cool

They got rid of the parrot...

Tony
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject:

So you're saying that the next major Neo/J release should have a parrot instead of the ship? Wink

Dan
Sue
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject:

Now that's an idea Smile
From another Kiwi that enjoys the Monty Python parrot skit.
Have a good Xmas everyone.

yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject:

I was just thinking, after the discussion earlier about what should be on the Neo/J ship's flag... now that the OpenOffice.org v2 splash screen competition is over and there's a winner, how about using that splash screen as the flag flying from the ship? I mean, it'd be so small and wavy that it'd be hard to tell what it was, but in a sense, that's the flag that Neo/J is sailing under (or will be, once we catch up with v2, but what the hell) - seems apt to me.

What d'you think?

- yoxi

- où se trouve la vérité, il faut que soit l'amour...
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
I was just thinking, after the discussion earlier about what should be on the Neo/J ship's flag... now that the OpenOffice.org v2 splash screen competition is over and there's a winner, how about using that splash screen as the flag flying from the ship? I mean, it'd be so small and wavy that it'd be hard to tell what it was, but in a sense, that's the flag that Neo/J is sailing under (or will be, once we catch up with v2, but what the hell) - seems apt to me.

What d'you think?

- yoxi

- où se trouve la vérité, il faut que soit l'amour...

Hi yoxi,

Early in my work on the current splash screen, I suggested to Patrick the idea of putting the OOo bird motif in the sky, like seagulls near the ship. His response was that he would be cautious about adopting any OOo artwork due to ownership issues and the chance of confusion. That may still be the case now, even for those tiny flags.

Dan
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject:

Yeah, fair do's - I also had a closer look at the splash screen [ed. i.e. Neo/J's] since then and noticed how blue the background is - so a blue flag would fade away into the yonderness...

- yoxi

Last edited by yoxi on Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject:

IMNSHO, it's also a rubbish splash screen - extraordinarily dull Surprised

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject:

Yes - shame about the OOo v2 splash screen - actually, I far prefer the current one FWIW(WIMLFI)...

- yoxi
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject:

It was one of the better options, IMO...we can draw some small comfort from the fact we didn't get stuck with any of the truly awful ones!

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7