Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Command-shift-B launches bluetooth?
Command-shift-B launches bluetooth?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmd
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Command-shift-B launches bluetooth?

The default key binding for subscript formatting is command-shift-B. This is listed under keyboard options. Yet, hitting this key combination produces an alert bell if no text is selected, and tries to do something with Bluetooth if text is selected.

I'd assume this was some function of OS X, but I don't see anything about it in OS X Keyboard Shortcuts preferences, and other applications seem to have this keystroke available (e.g., it's "Organize Bookmarks" in Firefox 3).

I've reassigned this function to command-shift-z and it works fine. What's up with command-shift-b?
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject:

The key command Command-Shift-B does change selected text to subscript on my machine (a 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5.) What machine are you using?

--fran
jmd
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject:

NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 2
Intel MacBook
OS X 10.5.6
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject:

I did a little research and found that Command-Shift-B is a shortcut for the Mac OS X service to send a file to a Bluetooth device. I do not have Bluetooth enabled on my machine so I did not see the conflict.

Apple's Mac OS X shortcuts override application shortcuts. You can this particular Mac OS X service keyboard shortcut by selecting Finder and then selecting the menu Finder :: Services.

The bad news is Apple's shortcuts will always override NeoOffice's shortcuts no matter what you configure in NeoOffice's dialogs, the bad news is that Apple has not provide any documented way to configure the shortcuts for the services menu.

You have a choice of solutions, continue to use the Command-Shift-Z shortcut you set up, or disable Bluetooth on your machine.

--fran
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject:

All of my Macs have bluetooth enabled and command-shift-B does nothing system wide.

For example, my preferred web browser Camino uses this key combination to show/hide the bookmark bar and works properly.

There is a FINDER ONLY shortcut to send a file, but is only for when the Finder is the front most app. Just as when Camino or NeoOffice are the front most app.

More likely the user has either modified the system wide shortcuts or has installed a 3rd party app that modified them.
jmd
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Gah. Thanks for pointing me to that. The services menu has GOT to be far and away the most abysmal element of OS X's design.

I disabled the shortcut for Bluetooth using the trick here:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030304121342190
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject:

MacRat wrote:
All of my Macs have bluetooth enabled and command-shift-B does nothing system wide.

Did you have any text selected in your document? If none is selected, all of menus in the Services menu will be disabled.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject:

jmd wrote:
Gah. Thanks for pointing me to that. The services menu has GOT to be far and away the most abysmal element of OS X's design.

I disabled the shortcut for Bluetooth using the trick here:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030304121342190

I forgot that I you can set a Mac OS X preference to disable all of the NeoOffice :: Services menu items. Note that this only works for NeoOffice and not other applications:

1. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, copy the following command into the Terminal window, and press the Return key:

Code:
defaults write org.neooffice.NeoOffice DisableServicesMenu -bool yes

2. Restart NeoOffice

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1