· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Losing imbedded pictures
Losing imbedded pictures

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Losing imbedded pictures

What will make Neo lose its imbedded pictures? I'm using 2.2.1EA, and I have 2.1.x installed on the other computer on this network.

I've completed a 60-page report with about 30 photos imbedded (not linked) in the document. I close Neo for the night. Reopen it the next morning, and all the photos have "Read Error" where the picture should be. This has happened four times on two different report documents, and it's getting old. It will take me most of an hour each to re-place those damned photos, and I am not a happy camper.

I choose Save as.. and save the doc elsewhere with the "Read Error" where the photos are. Re-open the original document, and the damned things are completely gone. Not even a "Read Error."

If I'm doing something wrong, I'd like to know what it is. If Neo's jerking me around, this is a deal-breaker and a Microsoft Maker. Any help would be appreciated; I can't have this continue.

=====
Edit: Nevermind microsoft. I'm not that desparate.

Last edited by Jim on Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject:

What happens when you upgrade to NeoOffice 2.2.1? There were two separate bug fix patches since Neo 2.2.1 EA was released and those two patches were rolled into Neo 2.2.1 that was released today.

Patrick
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject:

I got the 2.2.1 release just before Aug. 19. I had applied the two patches to the EA release, but downloaded 2.2.1 as soon as it was announced to EA members. I'm up to date, AFAIK.

This little quirk may be devilishly hard to run down. I just placed all the photos, saved, reopened, and they're all present. So the durned thing won't do it all the time so we can find it. Oh, and I'm saving to another computer on the peer-to-peer network, if that helps. (Permissions are set where they ought to be; I checked.)

One possible source of trouble may be the fact that I had copied and pasted three pages with photos from another document. That MAY have caused unexpected complexity. But with imbedded photos, I can't see where that would be a problem.

And here's another little quirk: It didn't trash ALL the photos. Just the ones that weren't full-page size. I had two full-page (less margins) maps, and they were preserved. The other 26 or so smaller photos went south. I'm baffled.

mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject:

What file format are you images?
Is this a Writer document? or a Presentation document(slide show)?
I'm thinking it's a writer document but just to be safe can you clarify.

How large is each picture file? 72k or 10+MB?;
30 photos at 10+ MB each can overwhelm many applications.
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject:

mickeyinlalaland wrote:
What file format are you images?
Is this a Writer document? or a Presentation document(slide show)?
I'm thinking it's a writer document but just to be safe can you clarify.

How large is each picture file? 72k or 10+MB?;
30 photos at 10+ MB each can overwhelm many applications.

Mostly JPG but a couple of PNGs and TIF's. One large JPG stayed and one large TIFF stayed. It's a Writer document. File sizes run about 150K for most of the JPG's; 2.8MB for one of the PNG's, and 1.8 MB for one TIFF.

One .ODT file is 10.1 MB, the other is 21.8 MB. This MacBook has 1 GB of RAM.

amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject:

Jim, you are not alone.

I've (well more precisely my wife) had all the images disappear from a document. From what I understand from her the following happened:

Saved and closed document.
Re-opened it later - all images replaced with "Read Error"
Closed & re-opened - all images completely gone - no errors.

I think it was a six page document with a full page background image on each page. Sorry can't remember the format. It was with NeoOffice 2.1, but not sure which patch.

I've never been able to reproduce it myself.

Andy.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject:

If this does happen regularly and you get the document working, can you try the following:

1. Close the document.
  2. Open Application > Utilities > Console.
  3. In Console, select the "console.log" entry. It should be in a column of log names on the left hand side of the window. If you don't see that column of log names, click the "Logs" button to make it visible first.
  4. Switch back to Neo and re-open the document. Check if you still are getting the "read error" images.
  5. Flip back to Console. Check if anything new has been printed.

If there are lots of images in a document that's been saved, it's possible that it may have gotten too big to fit in memory, especially if inserting large digital photos (e.g. a couple of 300 MB images). One way to reduce the size would be to scale the images before you add them to the Writer document. Writer keeps the full resolution of any images that are inserted which can lead to some pretty large files when using high quality images.

You may also want to try quitting Neo, relaunching Neo, and then opening that document as the first thing you do. That may free up a little bit of memory within Neo itself, but I'm not sure if it'd be enough to get all the images for you.

ed
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject:

Okay, it just did it again with a *different* document.

This time, Neo crashed. The console log may give you some hints:

Code:
Aug 28 06:32:42 MacBook /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin: An unexpected Java error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine.
Aug 28 06:32:42 MacBook /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin: If this error is reproducible, please report it with the following information:
Aug 28 06:32:42 MacBook /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin:   1. Provide the steps to reproduce, a test case, and any relevant information
Aug 28 06:32:42 MacBook /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin:   2. The corresponding JavaNativeCrash_pid<num>.crash.log (Java state)
Aug 28 06:32:42 MacBook /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin:   3. The corresponding <name>.crash.log (native state; generated by CrashReporter)
Aug 28 06:32:42 MacBook /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin:   4. This data:
Aug 28 06:32:42 MacBook /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin:        Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_07-87 mixed mode)
Aug 28 06:32:42 MacBook /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin:        Bus Error (0xa) at pc=0x90a594c7
Aug 28 06:32:42 MacBook /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin:        Process ID: 2141, Current Thread: 42334208
Aug 28 06:32:42 MacBook /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin: File report at: http://bugreport.apple.com/
Aug 28 06:32:42 MacBook /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin: An error report file has been written to:
Aug 28 06:32:42 MacBook /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin:   /Users/jim/Library/Logs/Java/JavaNativeCrash_pid2141.crash.log
Aug 28 06:32:55 MacBook crashdump[3113]: soffice.bin crashed
Aug 28 06:32:58 MacBook crashdump[3113]: crash report written to: /Users/jim/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/soffice.bin.crash.log

The crash log's too big to post here.

Looks like it may be a Java problem.
I'm running Neo on two Macs; two different versions of Neo; Latest version on this box, and I forget what the version is on the other one. One thing both Macs have in common is that I recently applied one of Apple's security fixes to both machines. I was not having this picture loss trouble before applying that "fix."

Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject:

New info:
I closed the document which had lost the pictures (without saving), and moved it from the other machine on the network to this MacBook.

Opened in Neo: No pictures, not even the "Read Error" message. Closed doc.
Opened in OpenOffice (X-11, not the Retro): Pics are back. Closed doc.
Opened in Neo again: Pics are back. WTF???

Note: Not all graphics disappear. My logo stays put in two different locations in the document. JPG's and PNG's are fair game, but not all of those go away every time.

Note that this is a MUCH smaller ODT file than the one I originally posted about.

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject:

If NeoOffice crashes, you should make sure you're using the latest version (2.2.1), file a bug in BugZilla, and submit the crash log (instructions). If you can, submit a sample document, too.
MoeGreene
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject:

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as Jim with images that disappear. I'm currently using Neo 2.2.1 Patch 1 and everything used to work until I upgraded from 2.1.

Is there any known solution?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject:

Jim wrote:
New info:
I closed the document which had lost the pictures (without saving), and moved it from the other machine on the network to this MacBook.

I noticed that your signature block says that you are using Patch 0. Install Patch 1 as it fixes this ooo-build bug in Writer that causes images to sometimes disappear during save.

Patrick
Jim
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject:

Okay, I think you found it. I had Patch 0 on the desktop machine, and Patch 1 on this laptop. I'm upgrading the desktop machine now.

Thanks, Patrick.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject:

MoeGreene wrote:
Hi,

I'm having the same problem as Jim with images that disappear. I'm currently using Neo 2.2.1 Patch 1 and everything used to work until I upgraded from 2.1.

Is there any known solution?

If this still occurs with Patch 1, then there may still be occurrences of this ooo-build bug. I fixed all cases that I could reproduce, but your case might be different. So, if this bug is still occurring with Patch 1, can you reopen that bug, add yourself to the bug's cc: list, and attach a sample document that has images that you have problems with? The sample document needs to have images so that I can reproduce the image loss.

Patrick
MoeGreene
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
So, if this bug is still occurring with Patch 1, can you reopen that bug, add yourself to the bug's cc: list, and attach a sample document that has images that you have problems with?

Thing is, I'm not sure I can reproduce it. I had a document originally created with Neo 1.1 or 1.2 with embedded images. After upgrading from 2.1 to 2.2 I got the "read error" message instead of the images, and then, after saving and reopening, they were all gone.

Then I installed the new OpenOffice.org 2.3 on Windows and openend a backup copy of the document (with the images still there), saved the document and opened it with Neo 2.2.1. And now the images are there, and don't disappear.

I tried to create a brand new document for testing purposes and found no problems, so I guess it could have been the fact that my document was created in an earlier version of Neo that made the images disappear.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2