NeoOffice :: View topic - Problems with numbering and formatting the numbers
Problems with numbering and formatting the numbers

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject:

gavagai wrote:
But starting with the document you had attached makes no sense to me: it is numbered correctly from the start. Then I remove the numbering and then I apply it again. The result is I end up with the same looking document as I've started with.

Yes. You were not meant to start with the document I attached. I'm sorry to have caused confusion. I only attached that document to show you the end result of the steps I had taken with your original document. I'm glad you have managed to print what you need.

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if we should add an article to the wiki about "repairing" broken list numbering? We have a nice section of tips about numbering on the NeoWriter page, and this one would fit in well there. Either the problem comes up enough, or I've run into it myself enough, that even I know Patrick's steps are the way to go....

Smokey

Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I cannot get NeoOffice to crash but, IIRC, you are using a German dictionary and hyphenation extension that you downloaded from OpenOffice.org's website. Is that correct?
Yes
pluby wrote:
If so, can you tell me which extensions you downloaded and installed?
hyphenation extension: (I think but I am not sure) http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/node/1306
German: http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/de/mirrors.php?file=NeoOffice-3.0-Language_Pack_German-PowerPC.dmg
pluby wrote:
Also, if you can remember which words you were typing just before the crash, that might help us reproduce the crash.
I'd rather say it was while trying to adjust some of the numbering formatting.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the link. I will download the hyphenation extension, change my preferred language to German, and use James3359's steps for fixing the numbering to see if I can trigger a crash on my machine.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the crash. After installing the German hyphenation extension and opening your attached "Graf_2.sxw" file in NeoOffice with my Mac set to German, I tried James3359's steps several times and NeoOffice did not crash.

So, my next theory is that maybe one or more of the ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2 user preference files that were imported into your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0 folder may be triggering this crash.

To test my theory, can you attach a zip file of your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0 folder? To create a zip file of that folder, go to that folder in the Finder, Control-click on the NeoOffice-3.0 folder, and select the "Create Archive of NeoOffice-3.0" menu from the popup menu that appears.

I will then replace my user preference files with your files and see if I can get NeoOffice to crash.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
To create a zip file of that folder, go to that folder in the Finder, Control-click on the NeoOffice-3.0 folder, and select the "Create Archive of NeoOffice-3.0" menu from the popup menu that appears.

Quick note: if you are running Leopard or Snow Leopard, "Create archive" will most likely be labeled "Compress" instead.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I wonder if we should add an article to the wiki about "repairing" broken list numbering? We have a nice section of tips about numbering on the NeoWriter page, and this one would fit in well there. Either the problem comes up enough, or I've run into it myself enough, that even I know Patrick's steps are the way to go....

Smokey
OK here's a first pass: Repairing 'broken' Numbering
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
OK here's a first pass: Repairing 'broken' Numbering

Thanks, James! I made a quick pass over it and made some small tweaks; I need to go put some of them into the Editing guide so that we actually document "policy" Wink

Smokey

Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I wonder if we should add an article to the wiki about "repairing" broken list numbering? We have a nice section of tips about numbering ...
Hi Smokey,
thanks for the URL. I will read through it occasionally. (Though, the first problem I read there "renumbering" seems to be no problem anymore. But maybe I don't grasp the problem they're talking about)

gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

I will then replace my user preference files with your files and see if I can get NeoOffice to crash.
Hi Patrick, I just posted it but it didn't work. After quite a while (the zip file is 9 MB) I got the message "No post mode specified" and my posting isn't online. Shall I try it again or shall I upload the zip-file and tell you the URL?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject:

gavagai wrote:
Hi Patrick, I just posted it but it didn't work. After quite a while (the zip file is 9 MB) I got the message "No post mode specified" and my posting isn't online. Shall I try it again or shall I upload the zip-file and tell you the URL?

Since the zip file is so large, can you upload it and tell us the URL?

Patrick
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject:

at http://www.lesekost.de/empe/ you'll find a link to my ZIP file.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the crashing on my machine with your user preference files.

James3359 wrote:
(Using NeoOffice 3.0.1 Patch 0)

• Place cursor on last line of text
  • Click paintbrush icon to copy that format
  • Select all the text to apply the format
  • Click Numbering icon to apply numbering to all text.
  • Click Numbering icon again to remove numbering
  • Select list of tracks under CD1 and click numbering icon to number them
  • Select list of tracks under CD2 and click numbering icon to number them
    Save

Probably the reason that I cannot reproduce the crash is that I really cannot get the above steps to work. Step 3 (select all the text to apply the format) only changes the first line in the CD1 section. Furthermore, all of the next steps are backwards as after performing step 3, I get the opposite result of what is listed above.

Can anyone reproduce the crashing? If so, can you list the exact set of steps that you actually did? I suspect that James3359's steps are missing a few details or gavagai and I are interpreting the steps differently.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject:

After rereading this forum topic, I suspect that James3359's list of steps has caused both of gavagai's problems (the inability to fix his numbered sections and the crashing).

Can we take a step back and try the simple steps that I listed in my post. gavagai: if you do my steps first, do you get any crashing?

While James3359's steps may try to seek an ideal solution, appying copied formats to the corrupted data in the CD1 section is likely to lead to crashing. As a result, my steps were focussed on eliminating the data corruption first so that successive formatting operations do not cause further corruption.

Patrick
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
After rereading this forum topic, I suspect that James3359's list of steps has caused both of gavagai's problems (the inability to fix his numbered sections and the crashing).
? My problems started before James3359 listed his procedural list.
I'm convinced now, James3359 was right: my document contained - unknown to me - some bad hidden code resulting from my copying the same CD cover document over and over again.
If I remember it right: the first crashing was before I executed James3359's list.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3