Problems with numbering and formatting the numbers

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject:

gavagai wrote:
If I remember it right: the first crashing was before I executed James3359's list.

One more question: did you ever execute my steps? If so, did the crashing ever occur after executing my steps? What I am trying to determine if executing my steps (the steps that James3359 put in the NeoWiki article) will prevent crashing if numbered sections become corrupted.

Patrick
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
gavagai wrote:
If I remember it right: the first crashing was before I executed James3359's list.

One more question: did you ever execute my steps? If so, did the crashing ever occur after executing my steps? What I am trying to determine if executing my steps (the steps that James3359 put in the NeoWiki article) will prevent crashing if numbered sections become corrupted.
Hi Patrick,
do mean these steps?
1. Highlight all lines in the section and then press the "Numbering On/Off" toolbar button in the main toolbar section.
2. While all lines in the section are still highlighted, press the "Numbering On/Off" toolbar button in the main toolbar section a second time to turn numbering back on.
3. While all lines in the section are still highlighted, select the Format :: Bullets and Numbering menu and in the dialog that appears, set your custom indent and other settings.
That's what I did a couple of times.
Sorry, but I don't remembered the exact steps preceding the crashes.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject:

gavagai wrote:
do mean these steps?
1. Highlight all lines in the section and then press the "Numbering On/Off" toolbar button in the main toolbar section.
2. While all lines in the section are still highlighted, press the "Numbering On/Off" toolbar button in the main toolbar section a second time to turn numbering back on.
3. While all lines in the section are still highlighted, select the Format :: Bullets and Numbering menu and in the dialog that appears, set your custom indent and other settings.

Yes.

gavagai wrote:
That's what I did a couple of times.
Sorry, but I don't remembered the exact steps preceding the crashes.

I suspect that the steps to trigger are not obvious so we will have to wait for another crash to happen. Sad

Hopefully more crashing does not occur. But if another crash does occur, can you try to write down as many of the steps that you can remember that you executed just before the crash and post those steps?

Patrick
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I will. Hope, no crash today: I'm turning 66.
BTW also Mahalia Jackson (no relative of Michael) and Hilary Clinton have birthday today.

James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject:

I have edited my first post to warn people off using the steps I suggested there.
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
I have edited my first post to warn people off using the steps I suggested there.

I think the copying of the format step is still very useful. I just could not get it to stick with our steps. Most likely I was highlighting the wrong text as I found that if did not drag my mouse past the right margin when selecting line 10 in the first section, neither of our steps would work on that line.

So, here are the combination of both of our steps that allowed me to get the times in the first section to line up vertically:

1. Select all of the lines in a numbered section by dragging your mouse frmo the left margin in the first line to outside the right margin on the last line. The mouse needs to be dragged outside of the right margin to fully select the last numbered line.

2. Press the Numbering On/Off toolbar button two times to switch numbering off and then back on. This should reset the numbering.

3. Copy any lost formatting from another list by placing your cursor in an uncorrupted line outside of the selected lines and press the Format Paintbrush toolbar button.

4. The Format Paintbrush toolbar button will change the cursor to a paint can. Select all of the same lines that you selected in step 1. When you release the mouse button, all selected lines will have the copied formatting.

Did I miss any useful steps? Also, do you think we should add the format copying to the NeoWiki article or do you think that would make the article too confusing?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm away for a few days now, but I'll give this some more thought after the end of the month.

James

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject:

OK here is my reasoning for my original approach…

There's something pretty screwy about this document. If I drag my cursor past the bottom of the window the selection runs back up the screen again, back to the CD1 heading. It looks as though there's a section break there which I don't want to mess with. Also I'm getting some odd screen artefacts (Picture 1)

OK lets find some OK formatting as set by this user and apply it and see if that will tidy things up.
[Attempt copying and applying formatting using paintbrush tool]

No go. OK lets see if turning the numbering off does anything. Hey that's good the formatting is OK now. What happens if we apply it afresh. OK that looks good

That's how my steps evolved, and on a purely pragmatic basis that's what I posted. I could have gone back and tried it again without the formatting step I began with, but I was short of time, so I just posted the whole lot.

If the copy formatting step did something useful (but invisible) then it was purely a matter of chance that I chose that order as I worked through the document. I don't have any theoretical basis for including it.

If you think the formatting step was valuable I won't argue with you - you know NO much better than I do - but if it's not really doing anything (as appears to be the case) then it's no problem to me to omit that step.

Hope this is helpful

James

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
If you think the formatting step was valuable I won't argue with you - you know NO much better than I do - but if it's not really doing anything (as appears to be the case) then it's no problem to me to omit that step.

In the case of bullets and numbering, I think it would have been more accurate if you wrote "you know no better than I do". Wink The Copy Format feature is one that I was not aware of

I rarely use NeoOffice for creating documents and only really use it for reading the occasional document I receive. As a result, I usually do not learn of features like the Copy Format toolbar button until someone like you posts about it. Embarassed

Anyways, I think the Copy Format feature that you found can be really useful if you use custom indent settings and you have some uncorrupted numbered sections like gavagai's document had.

I just tried using the Copy Format toolbar button to copy the indent settings from one table to another and it works so Fran or I can add that to NeoWiki article as an optional set of steps after the existing "toggle numbering off and on" steps.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
... so Fran or I can add that to NeoWiki article as an optional set of steps after the existing "toggle numbering off and on" steps.

I have added steps to use Copy Format to the NeoWiki article on Repairing Broken Numbering.

Let me know if you think that page needs further editing.

--fran
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject:

narf wrote:
pluby wrote:
... so Fran or I can add that to NeoWiki article as an optional set of steps after the existing "toggle numbering off and on" steps.

I have added steps to use Copy Format to the NeoWiki article on Repairing Broken Numbering.

Let me know if you think that page needs further editing.

It's a little odd now how there are two numbered steps and then bullet points. I'm not sure the best way to approach it is though; I think at the very least we need a step 3 back that's something like "Restore the formatting".

Beyond that, still thinking about whether it'll be better to try make step 3 say "Restore the formatting using one of the methods described below" and then make a whole new section for the two formatting options, or whether to integrate the formatting restoration into the main list of steps as two options, with substeps, of step 3, e.g.

Code:
3. Restore formatting…
   * If there is uncorrupted formatting…
     1. Step
     2. Step
   * If there is no uncorrupted formatting to copy…
     1. Step
     2. Step

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Beyond that, still thinking about whether it'll be better to try make step 3 say "Restore the formatting using one of the methods described below" and then make a whole new section for the two formatting options, or whether to integrate the formatting restoration into the main list of steps as two options, with substeps, of step 3, e.g.

Code:
3. Restore formatting…
   * If there is uncorrupted formatting…
     1. Step
     2. Step
   * If there is no uncorrupted formatting to copy…
     1. Step
     2. Step

Smokey,
I think this is a good suggestion and I have gone ahead and implemented the second option in the NeoWiki article. Take a look and let me know if it should be changed, or tweak as you see fit.

thanks --fran
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3