Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Writer Documents Always Open at Beginning of Document
Writer Documents Always Open at Beginning of Document

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noibs
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Writer Documents Always Open at Beginning of Document

In the latest version of OpenOffice, a Writer document (OpenDoc Text format) will open at the point where the cursor was during the last save. I'm usually working on one of several 250+ page documents and having the document open on the page containing the cursor during my last save is really helpful, because that is usually the point where I want to start working again.

In NeoOffice 3.0.1, a Writer document always open at the top of the first page page of the document, regardless of where the cursor was during the last save. Am I missing some preference? Is there any way to force NeoOffice to open to the cursor position during the last save?

Thanks.
Confused
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Writer Documents Always Open at Beginning of Document

noibs wrote:
In the latest version of OpenOffice, a Writer document (OpenDoc Text format) will open at the point where the cursor was during the last save. I'm usually working on one of several 250+ page documents and having the document open on the page containing the cursor during my last save is really helpful, because that is usually the point where I want to start working again.

I cannot reproduce this feature in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1. In OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 on my machines, cursor is always moved to the beginning of the document even if I have previously saved the document in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1.

Can you tell us how you enabled that feature in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1?

Patrick
noibs
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Writer Documents Always Open at Beginning of Document

pluby wrote:
noibs wrote:

I cannot reproduce this feature in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1. In OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 on my machines, cursor is always moved to the beginning of the document even if I have previously saved the document in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1.

Can you tell us how you enable dthat feature?

Patrick

I wish I knew. If I could figure that out, I think it would answer my question. I also have OpenOffice 3.1.1. I just opened one of my big documents and moved to a random place in the document and entered a space and then saved the document and closed it. When I reopened it, it opened to the exact cursor position where I added the space.

I'll spend some more time in the OpenOffice preferences and see if I can spot anything.

Frankly, as much as I like the extra features in NeoOffice, I can't use it because of this issue.
noibs
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Writer Documents Always Open at Beginning of Document

One more update on this issue...

To have a Writer document open at the place of the last save in OpenOffice, I have to have saved it *IN* OpenOffice. If I save the document in NeoOffice and then open it in OpenOffice, it always opens at the beginning of the document--just as it does in NeoOffice.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject:

Aha! I got this feature to work in NeoOffice.

Unfortunately, the problem is that neither OpenOffice.org or NeoOffice store the cursor position in the document. Instead, the cursor position is saved in your user preference files. As a result, both OpenOffice.org and NeoOffice will only remember the cursor position for documents that each application has saved. This also means that when you send a document that was saved in either OpenOffice.org or NeoOffice, the cursor position will not be available.

I suspect that you are switching between OpenOffice.org and NeoOffice. Since NeoOffice's underlying code saves the cursor position in your each application's separate user preference files, you will need to do both saving and viewing of a document in either OpenOffice.org or NeoOffice for this feature to work.

Patrick
noibs
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: ANSWER!!

To fix this "problem" just required putting my name in the NeoOffice (or OpenOffice) "User" preference pane. Then, under the Load/Save->General preference, enable "Load user specific settings with the document." After doing that, my writer documents opened in NeoOffice opened at the cursor position of the last save.

I have been using OpenOffice for a long time and had always entered my name in the in the "User" preference pane. Thus, my documents had always opened in the point of the last save so I just took it for granted. I can't believe what a change (for the worse) it was to have my Writer docs open at the beginning of the document.

Last edited by noibs on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
noibs
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Followup

I hadn't seen pluby's reply when I posted my last reply. He is also correct.

The "fix" only works within each application--OpenOffice and NeoOffice.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: ANSWER!!

noibs wrote:
To fix this "problem" just required putting my name in the NeoOffice (or OpenOffice) "User" preference pane. Then, under the Load/Save->General preference, enable "Load user specific settings with the document." After doing that, my writer documents opened in NeoOffice opened at the cursor position of the last save.

Thanks for the tip. That explains why I could not get the feature to work in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1: I had left the User Data fields blank but in NeoOffice I had them filled in.

I believe that the "Load user specific settings with the document" is enabled by default so for most users, they should only need to select the Tools :: Option menu, click on the NeoOffice :: User Data item, put some text in the First Name and Last Name fields, and click the OK button.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1