Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 3.0.1: strange behavior after copying in Calc
NeoOffice 3.0.1: strange behavior after copying in Calc

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice 3.0.1: strange behavior after copying in Calc

In NeoOffice 3.0.1 Patch 1 Test 5, I noticed the following behavior in Calc:

1) copy any cell (Command-C or Edit > Copy);

2) press the return key on your keyboard.

This seems to trigger a "document modified" event (Save icon becomes active), but does not move to the next cell. Pressing the return key a second time does move to the next cell.

In NeoOffice 2.2.6 Patch 1 Test 4 and OpenOffice.org 3.0.1, pressing the return key after copying a cell does not activate the Save icon, and instead directly moves to the next cell.

I do not have an ooo-build 3.0.1 build to test against.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject:

I can reproduce this in NeoOffice 3.0.1 as well. I do not know for sure if this bug is caused by our code or Novell's Go-oo modifications because my Go-oo build always crashes when I press the Return key after copying a cell, but I will look through Novell's Go-oo modifications and see if any of them cause this bug.

When I have some news to report, I will post again. However, since rebuilding Calc is time consuming, it may be a few days before I have any news to report.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject:

FYI. I found Novell's Go-oo modification that causes this bug. Their modification is actually a feature they added to Calc that pastes whatever is on the cllipboard when you press the Return key. That is why the document is being marked as modified.

I have no idea why they added this behavior. Neither Microsoft Excel 2004 or 2008 paste when you press the Return key and there are no reasons in Novell's commit log. So, I will remove this modification and post a test patch in the next day.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject:

Isn't that part of the highlighted-cell(s)-after-copy system?

It's actually quite a neat (slight) shortcut - to move cells, for example: highlight, cmd-x, move the cursor to the new location and hit Return. The data gets pasted in the new location and the origin-highlighting disappears. If you hit Esc after cutting/copying to clipboard, the Return-to-paste is disabled, and the cell highlighting disappears (but the data is still in the clipboard).

I did have some dialogue with the oo-dev team about it a while back, but I don't have it any more.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
It's actually quite a neat (slight) shortcut - to move cells, for example: highlight, cmd-x, move the cursor to the new location and hit Return. The data gets pasted in the new location and the origin-highlighting disappears. If you hit Esc after cutting/copying to clipboard, the Return-to-paste is disabled, and the cell highlighting disappears (but the data is still in the clipboard).

So if you and other users use this feature, I will leave it in.

Anyone have a problem with leaving this Go-oo feature in NeoOffice?

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject:

It's not a big time-saver, I can live without it - I didn't even know it was there until I got in dialogue with the oo-dev team to ask what the weird highlight-after-copy border was Smile.

I think there were plans afoot to make it multi-shot somehow - i.e. so you could keep moving around copying the same data more than once until you hit Esc - but that never happened, I guess, as it still only works once per copy. And we can do all that just as easily with cmd-v.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
It's not a big time-saver, I can live without it - I didn't even know it was there until I got in dialogue with the oo-dev team to ask what the weird highlight-after-copy border was Smile.

I am inclined to keep the feature in as this morning I found that removing this Novell Go-oo feature would change a lot of Calc source code files. Touching this many files in a patch makes me nervous and based on the fact that you know about this feature, I assume that other users would notice this feature missing. Hence, I now believe it would be safer to keep the feature in NeoOffice.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1