DAV (iDisk) writing using Snow Leopard

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject:

DB wrote:
But why is it only Neooffice that exhibits this behavior? I tried again to duplicate the problem with TextEdit and a .odt file and closing TextEdit has no effect on the file. And I have been using other programs and writing directly to the iDisk, including Acrobat, Photoshop Elements, MS Office 2008 Word and PowerPoint.

Although I believe that this is a Mac OS X 10.6 bug, I do believe that there is something unique in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code that triggers this Mac OS X bug.

At this point, the only theory I have is that the OpenOffice.org code opens more than one file handle for the same file and that is what triggers the Mac OS X bug.

Now that I have an iDisk account, over the next week when I have any spare time I will keep troubleshooting this bug and see if I can narrow down the exact Mac OS X function call that truncates the file. If I can do that, my hope is that I can then formulate a change to the OpenOffice.org code that will not trigger this bug.

I suspect that this will not be an easy bug to solve so please be patient. But I will definitely post any news that comes up as soon as I have any to report.

Patrick
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject:

Given that the problem is specific to 10.5, I think that is a reasonable conclusion.

I am extremely appreciative of your work. Neooffice is a great program. My experience with word processors goes back to 1983, PeachText for DOS 1.3, Word Perfect 6.0 for DOS, Describe for OS/2, and Starr Office for Linux. I switched from OS/2 and Linux to Mac in 2003 and to Neooffice/J shortly after that. I use it every day, couldn't do without it. Thanks for making it run so well.

Dick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject:

After troubleshooting this Mac OS X Snow Leopard bug within NeoOffice over the last days, I finally had a breakthrough this afternoon and I found the OpenOffice.org code that triggers this bug.

The bug occurs when an application maps an existing file on a WebDAV volume (iDisk volumes use WebDAV) into memory. The OpenOffice.org code maps files into memory as a simpler means to make a backup copy of a file. By mapping the file into memory, their code can copy all of the bytes from an existing file into a backup file in one function.

While their code makes sense, there are clearly some rather nasty bugs in Mac OS X Snow Leopard when iDisk and other WebDAV files are mapped into memory so I have fixed this bug by replacing the OpenOffice.org code with code that makes a backup copy using the more traditional method of copying bytes directly from the existing file to the backup file a chunk at a time.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if this bug is fixed for you? Please make sure that you make backup copies of any iDisk files before you open in them NeoOffice in case the test patch does not fix the bug:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1-Patch-2-Test-1-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6-Patch-2-Test-1-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1-Patch-2-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6-Patch-2-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject:

Patrick

Before I applied this patch, I applied Patch 2 from the main page (because it came up when I opened Neooffice). This patch did not fix the problem for me, but it did remove the restriction on saving to the iDisk. Before restoring Patch 2, I did restore my normal version of Neooffice, the version without the earlier experimental patch.

When I later applied your special patch, it did fix the problem (YEA), at least so far as I have been experimenting, but Patch 2 did not do the job.

Dick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject:

DB wrote:
When I later applied your special patch, it did fix the problem (YEA), at least so far as I have been experimenting, but Patch 2 did not do the job.

That is good news. Patch 2 does not have my fix as I never put fixes in an official patch until the bug reporter has had a chance to test my fix in a test patch. In contrast, the test patch that you installed is Patch 2 plus my fix (hence its name Patch 2 Test 1).

Since my fix works for you, I will include my fix in the upcoming NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access release.

Edit by pluby: correct URL tag

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject:

I decided to download a fresh copy of 3.0.1 to work on, and after applying Patch 2, the restriction on using the iDisk is still in place. My earlier experience with the removed restriction must have been a residue from the patch you sent to me which removed that restriction.

I will now try out your fix on this fresh copy.

Dick
DB
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject:

With your test patch applied, I have now successfully saved .odt, .ods, and .odp files to my iDisk. I think you have solved the problem.

I have not tried the PowerPC, but it should not be necessary given that there is no Snow Leopard for the Power PC. I have been using 3.0.1 on my G5 without a hitch.

Thanks for your work on this.
Dick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject:

FYI. The fix was included in NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access, but since NeoOffice 3.0.2 will not be available to most NeoOffice users until 2 February 2010, I have backported the fix to NeoOffice 3.0.1 and the fix is included in NeoOffice 3.0.1 Patch 3. You can download the patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/patch.php

Also, the fix is included in NeoOffice 2.2.6 Patch 3. You can download that patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/oldpatch.php

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2