Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice crashes after Microsoft Office for Mac installed
NeoOffice crashes after Microsoft Office for Mac installed

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lullabylin
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: NeoOffice crashes after Microsoft Office for Mac installed

I didn't want to do it but purchased & installed Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac on my Intel-based Mac.
I use QuickBooks 2010 for Mac and in order to export reports (spreadsheets), QuickBooks requires that Microsoft Office be on the system.
It does not allow you to export reports in spreadsheet format and open later in NeoOffice or whatever your chosen application is to open spreadsheets.

Since installing Microsoft's product, NeoOffice and OpenOffice crash crash crash. I've repaired disk permissions and made sure have the latest updates for NeoOffice and OpenOffice but it hasn't slowed down the crashes.

I don't want to use Microsoft for word-processing or even for manipulating spreadsheets - it just needs to be present to export reports.

Any suggestions other than uninstalling Microsoft's product so that NeoOffice works again?

Snow Leopard, 2.8 GHz Intel dual core, 4 GB RAM
NeoOffice 3.0.1 Patch 3
Thank you for any suggestions.
Linda
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject:

AFAIK, the only thing that MS Office and NeoOffice should be sharing is fonts. Could you check in Fontbook if there are any duplicate or broken fonts installed?

Edit: see neowiki

best wishes,
Oscar

James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject:

If Oscar's suggestion doesn't solve things for you please can you follow the steps in the NeoWiki to obtain a crash log file and attach it to your reply to this thread following the instructions in this post. This should give some clue about what the problem is.

James

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
If Oscar's suggestion doesn't solve things for you please can you follow the steps in the NeoWiki to obtain a crash log file and attach it to your reply to this thread following the instructions in this post. This should give some clue about what the problem is.

Can you attach the crash log before you try Oscar's suggestion? Since both NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org are crashing and both applications handle fonts differently, I have a feeling that the Microsoft Office installation might be doing something more destructive than just adding duplicate fonts.

Patrick
lullabylin
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Grrrrrowl.
After checking fonts, there were some duplicates & I disabled them.

Things were pretty good for several hours. No crashes at all.
Then I went to rename a file and crashed.
Several crashes after that.
Then Safari crashed when I tried to reply to you, Oscar & Jim.
Am attaching a crash report and crossing fingers that it will fly!

Thanks very much for looking it over.

BTW, recently upgraded to Snow Leopard.
Crashes with Neo & Open seem to be independent of that and started after Microsoft Office was installed.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I noticed from your crash report that you're still running Mac OS X 10.6.0 and that the crashed thread looks similar to other very common crashes that Apple fixed in Mac OS X 10.6.1 and 10.6.2.

If you use Mac OS X's Software Update to update to Mac OS X 10.6.2, do the crashes persist?

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I noticed from your crash report that you're still running Mac OS X 10.6.0 and that the crashed thread looks similar to other very common crashes that Apple fixed in Mac OS X 10.6.1 and 10.6.2.

Smokey is correct: the crash is occurring in the Mac OS X code that displays the native Open and Save dialogs and it is not likely that installing Microsoft Office caused this.

Please let us know if the crashing stops or still occurs after installing all Mac OS X system updates. You can install all system updates by selecting the Apple :: Software Update menu within any application and rebooting your machine after the system update finishes. Keep repeating this process until there are no more system updates to install.

If the crashing still occurs after installing all system updates, can you attach a new crash log so that we can see if the location of the crash has changed?

Patrick
lullabylin
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Patrick, Smokey, James & Oscar,
You guys are awesome!
THANK YOU for your help.
Each suggestion yielded some positive results.
The thing that finally seems to have solved the crashing of Neo & Open Office was upgrading Mac to 10.6.2 as you suggested.
I thought that I had updated everything but I didn't verify that my installation was successful. After many years of working on Windows systems with Microsoft apps, I just assumed it was Microsoft Office that was causing the problems because it started happening some days after the Snow Leopard upgrade - but immediately after the Office upgrade.
Linda
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject:

That's great news. Glad you are up and running now. Very Happy
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1