Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice crash trying to open .odt made with Linux-OO
NeoOffice crash trying to open .odt made with Linux-OO

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fbugnon
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: NeoOffice crash trying to open .odt made with Linux-OO

I've made some .odt files using OpenOffice with Ubuntu 9.10 X64.

When I try to open those files with NeoOffice the program will crash. If the program is not already running it will crash before opening the document.

The only solution I found was to open those files with OpenOffice for Mac.

No macros or special/complex style were used, other than setting paper margins, font, font size and the use of bold, underline and italic.

If I want to open those files in NeoOffice I have to save (in OO-Mac) them as .doc, then they will open with no problem. If I just save them (in OO-Mac) with a different (or same) name NeoOffice is not able to open them.

I have no idea what it is happening since I have done this before (open with NeoOffice .odt files made with Linux OO) without any problem.

Any help is appreciated.

The crash-log automatically generated is attached.

Thanks,

fbugnon

MacBook Pro1,1, MacOS 10.6.2
NeoOffice 3.0.1 patch 1
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject:

It is inappropriate for you to post to the NeoOffice Mobile forum. It is pretty clear that you have posted a NeoOffice support request and you are posting to this forum because you have not made the minimum donation amount required for posting to the NeoOffice Support forum.

I am moving your post to the NeoOffice Support forum. When you have the made the minimum donation, we will respond to your post.

If you have already made the minimium donation amount using a different PayPal e-mail address than you use for your Trinity account, please link those donations to your Trinity account by filling out your Donation Preferences.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I am moving your post to the NeoOffice Support forum. When you have the made the minimum donation, we will respond to your post.

If you donate the required minimum, please attach a sample document that triggers this crash. We will then try to reproduce the crash on our machines.

Patrick
fbugnon
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject:

(ok, I was finally able to make the complimentary donation, so back I am.)

I am attaching an example file that reproduces the situation previously described:

- it was made with OO-Linux.
- it crashed my NeoOffice 3.0.1 patch 1 when I tried to open it.
- after reinstallation of NeoOffice (without patch 1) I was able to open it.

(More recently, after installation of patch 2 NeoOffice crashed again and could not open it)

Which leads me to think the problem might be related to patch 1.

Hope this helps figure it out the problem.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject:

Welcome to posting on NeoOffice forums Smile

I have downloaded your document and opened it successfully with NeoOffice 3.0.1 Patch 2 (iBook 1.33 GHz 1.5GB PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.11). There were no apparent problems. This may indicate that the problem is specific to your machine, or to the Snow Leopard/NeoOffice mix.

I'm afraid I don't have expertise to read your crash log. I'm sure someone who can will be along shortly.

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the sample document. Like James3359, I can open the document without any problem in NeoOffice 3.0 Patch 2 on both Mac OS X 10.4.11 and 10.6.2. Since neither James3359 nor I can reproduce the crashing, we need to search for what is unique about your machine that might be triggering the crash.

The one thing that I noticed is that your document is set to use the "URW Gothic L" font. Mac OS X does not bundle that particular font so can you do the following steps? These steps will help us determine if you have installed an "URW" fonts and, if so, if those fonts are the cause of the crash:

1. Launch the /Applications/Font Book application

2. In the Font Book application, select "All Fonts" in the "Collections" column and then search for any fonts with "URW" in the "Font" column. Do you find any such fonts?

3. If you find any such fonts, select those fonts and select the Edit :: Disable Font menu to disable those fonts. Does NeoOffice still crash after disabling those fonts?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Please ignore my last post as I have found a way to reproduce the crash. After looking at your sample document, I came conclusion is that one of the fonts on your machine is corrupt or unloadable. Such fonts cause the Calc bug described in this forum topic so starting in Patch 1 we skip such fonts. Our new "bad font skipping" code is what is causing the crash.

To test my theory, I put in some test code that forces NeoOffice to treat the first font in your document as corrupt so that our bad font skipping code is executed. Sure enough, after adding this test code NeoOffice will always crash when opening your sample document.

I have enough data now to work on this bug and hopefully I will have a test patch available for you to test within the next day.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I have created bug 3576 to track this issue.

-- fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this crashing bug. Can you install the following test patch and tell us if this bug is fixed for you?

Note that since I believe that a corrupt or unloadable font on your machine is causing this, the document's line spacing might not look the same as an Linux when you first open it. If that happens, does the line spacing look normal if you close the document and reopen it?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1-Patch-2-Test-2-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6-Patch-2-Test-2-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.1-Patch-2-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.6-Patch-2-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I have enough data now to work on this bug and hopefully I will have a test patch available for you to test within the next day.

And, sure enough, Patrick has a patch out in less than two hours...Very Happy

-Oz

fbugnon
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject:

This sure been fast! Wooo.

pluby wrote:
I think that I have fixed this crashing bug. Can you install the following test patch and tell us if this bug is fixed for you?

This patch works great! I've installed it (Intel) and now I'm able to open the document, no more crashes. I think you found the problem (and the solution!) Thanks.

(Don't know if it matters, but you were right about the font URW, I don't have it in my Mac OS X 10.6.2)

pluby wrote:
Note that since I believe that a corrupt or unloadable font on your machine is causing this, the document's line spacing might not look the same as an Linux when you first open it. If that happens, does the line spacing look normal if you close the document and reopen it?

I guess line spacing look pretty much the same as in Linux (was using 1,5 for this document). Obviously the font it-self doesn't (because I don't have it installed under Mac), specially when using the italic format it looks quite different, but I think this has nothing to do with the bug it-self.

Thank you once again and please feel free to ask if I can help any further.[/i]
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject:

fbugnon wrote:
This patch works great! I've installed it (Intel) and now I'm able to open the document, no more crashes. I think you found the problem (and the solution!) Thanks.

That is good news. Smile

I will definitely include the fix in next week's NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access release.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject:

FYI. The fix fo this bug has been included in the NeoOffice 3.0.2 Early Access release. Early Access Program members can download it from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/earlyaccessdownload.php

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject:

FYI. Since NeoOffice 3.0.2 will not be available to most NeoOffice users until 2 February 2010, I have backported the fix to NeoOffice 3.0.1 and the fix is included in NeoOffice 3.0.1 Patch 3. You can download the patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/patch.php

Also, the fix is included in NeoOffice 2.2.6 Patch 3. You can download that patch from the following URL:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/oldpatch.php

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1