· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neowriter - a line I can't delete
Neowriter - a line I can't delete

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drayton
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Patrick, I have worked round the problem. For the first line, I highlighted adjacent text above and below it and the Delete key eliminated the line with the text. For the bottom line, it seemed the highlighting stopped a line (ie space) short but in fact the cursor blinked at the start of this space - and Bingo, the Delete key took the line out.
I had already copied this neighbouring text into a new document - but not the lines right next to the black line - so I then copied them back into the original document.
A long way round but it worked. My suspicion is that the second line went easily because of the trick which worked for the first one.

I'd love to know a quick way of solving this if it happens again. Perhaps I should take the old file to the castle as a Word doc and try deleting the line there in a straightforward way.

Thanks for your help, and I wonder if you saw any ghosts in my snapshot.

Drayton
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject:

OK. Now I see the line that you are talking about.

I do not know what that has caused that line to be displayed but I was able to delete it by selecting the entire document using the Edit :: Select All menu and then selecting the Format :: Paragraph menu. In the Formatting dialog, I clicked on the Borders tab and clicked on everything once to ensure that all was set to display no borders and clicked the OK button.

This pushed the line to the very end of the file so I highlighted the last few lines through the end of the document and selected the Format :: Default Formatting menu. This finally removed the line. I then highlighted the last line and centered that line and saved the file.

My saved version of the file is attached. Hopefully I did not lose any content in your document you can use my attached version of the file.

Patrick
Drayton
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject:

Patrick,

Thanks again. I wrote down your method and opened the document. I found the p.6 line was still there on my screen (but not the one at the end), so I went through your procedure for re-setting the Borders - and then I was generating more and more lines! The worst thing happened when I also clicked on "No shadow" - a block of multiple lines.

Panic not, I thought, and switched to the "Select All , Format , Default Formatting" technique. This removed the plague of lines, Hurrah!, and left very little repair work to do.

What I have learned is that I have to select text before using Format , Default Formatting.

All your help is much appreciated, and I have learned a lot. I have emailed the original document in .doc form to the castle, and tomorrow I will be there and will see how modifiable it is on a PC.

Michael
Drayton
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,

At the castle today I opened the Word version of my document on the PC there. It was simple to remove the lines.

I could put the cursor at the start of a line (and I could see it was covering the line as well as the space above) and press the delete key - the whole line disappeared.

And in Format , Borders I saw that a border was selected. And, selecting No Border and clicking OK immediately removed the line.

It seems that either moving between PC and Mac muddled up some codes, or, very lilkely in my case, I mis-keyed in some crucial way that messed things up in NeoOffice.

Michael
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject:

I keep forgetting to post something important for Mac OS X 10.3 users like yourself: starting at the end of April 2010, NeoOffice 2.2.6 will no longer be available on our website so save a copy of NeoOffice 2.2.6 and its latest patch if you are not planning to upgrade to a later version of Mac OS X anytime soon.

We will releasing NeoOffice 3.1.1 around that time and we will need to move our existing NeoOffice 3.0.2 downloads to the web pages that currently NeoOffice 2.2.6 occupies so once NeoOffice 3.1.1 is released we will only have have downloads available for Mac OS X 10.4 and higher.

Patrick
PCUK
Sentinel

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject:

I am having the same problem with not being able to delete a line created with underscore. I was going to start a new topic but found that it was already being covered. I have Snow leopard and the latest Neo with all up to date patches.
I haven't tried the complex solution stated as yet, but would like to see a much simpler solution as this is a regular problem for me.

p.s.
Just tried default format and that worked, but it's a bit of a convoluted solution.

Is there a method of inserting lines the same as in Word whereby a tab is set-up to draw the line?
Thanks,
Peter

p.p.s.
Cancel all the above, found the line command under format-paragraph-tabs/
Now if I could only get a macro to do it for me life would be perfect!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject:

PCUK wrote:
p.p.s.
Cancel all the above, found the line command under format-paragraph-tabs/
Now if I could only get a macro to do it for me life would be perfect!

While I don't have a macro that clears those underlined lines, I did find a you can use a simpler set of steps to clear those lines in NeoOffice 3.1.1:

1. Highlight from a few lines above to a few lines below the line you want to remove. Note: if the line to remove is at the end of the document, you won't be able to highlight past the line, but if you highlight as far down as the cursor will go, that should be good enough.

2. Click on the Apply Style listbox in the toolbar and select the "Clear Formatting" item in the listbox.

Does that clear the underlined lines for you?

Patrick
PCUK
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject:

Thanks for that,
Yes, that does the trick.
But in future I'll use the tabbed line when I want to put a line into a document - Which is probably the proper way to do it!!!
Learning all the time!
Thanks again,
Peter
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2