Writer crashes during saving

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject:

smayoo wrote:
I take it that you share my opinion that the problem might be in this PDF part?

I think you are correct that the "save as PDF" process is where the crash is occurring. The reason that I had you try turning off native text highlighting is that is the rough section of code that the crash actually occurs in so my initial guess was that my changes to implement native highlighting were the underlying cause of the crash.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject:

Is it safe for me to assume that no news means that turning off Quick Look support stops the crashing?

If so, have you been able to get NeoOffice to crash when you turn Quick Look support back on? If yes, then once you attach the crash log, feel free to turn off Quick Look again as it will likely take a day or two after you attach a crash log to get you a test patch with a fix for you to try.

Patrick
smayoo
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject:

I've been on a business trip today. Didn't have time to test. I'll try now.
smayoo
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Crashed again, QL support switched on, here's the crash log.
smayoo
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Mad Mad Mad
After posting the previous post, it crossed my mind that the crash log should have more kB than previous logs since you've made debug additions in the patch to give you more detailed info. So I wasn't sure any more whether I actually *installed* the debug patch that I've downloaded.

So I installed it (maybe again, maybe not) and now Neo doesn't crash any more (QL support still switched on). Doctor, am I going Annoying dancing banana Confused ?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Thank for the crash log. It is exactly what I need. It has the details that I need.

I suspect that you will see the crash reappear at some point so you may want to turn of Quick Look support just to be safe.

I will start work on fixing this bug and I will post again when I have a test patch ready for you to try.

Note to myself: I have create bug 3598 to track this crashing bug.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject:

I analyzed the crash log and the good news is that I have narrowed down where in the code the the crash is occurring in. The bad news is that it is occurring in a section of the code that I did not turn on more detailed data reporting.

So, I have turned on more detailed reporting in the appropriate section of code in the following test patch:

http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1_Beta-Patch-0-Test-1-Debug-2-Intel.dmg

When it is convenient for you, can you install the test patch, turn on Quick Look support, and get NeoOffice to crash?

Patrick
smayoo
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject:

It is installed. I'll try right now. If nothing happens now, then again in the evening (it's 6:30am here now).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Have you encountered any crashes since you installed the last test patch? If you have not have not had a chance to use NeoOffice in the last few days, then that is OK and I will wait until sometime next week to check back with you.

Patrick
smayoo
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject:

I was on a trip again. I'm planning to work on this today...
smayoo
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject:

Well... Ten pages later, still no crash...

I've noticed, though, that when I quicklook the ODT document, I only get the first page. I don't know whether it's normal or not (DOC files are always completely visible in QuickLook) because I don't have too many ODT documents (I mostly have to use DOC because others that work with me on it use MS Office).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject:

smayoo wrote:
Well... Ten pages later, still no crash...

This is interesting. I wonder if recompiling the code in "debug" mode stopped the crashing. Compiling in debug mode does not change the code, but it makes it run slower so that the crash reporter can track which code is being executed more precisely.

To test this theory, later today I will recompile the code normally and upload a test patch. If the crashing reappears, then I have found the way to fix this bug. I will post later today when I have the test patch ready for you to download.

smayoo wrote:
I've noticed, though, that when I quicklook the ODT document, I only get the first page. I don't know whether it's normal or not (DOC files are always completely visible in QuickLook) because I don't have too many ODT documents (I mostly have to use DOC because others that work with me on it use MS Office).

That is normal. Apple's engineers created the .doc file Quick Look plugin and they used different approach than we used for .odt files. What they did was write a Quick Look plugin that reads the entire .doc file and renders it directly to the screen. In other words, they programmed a .doc file reader from scratch.

Apple's approach is impressive, but was way beyond the resources we had available so we used a simpler approach: when saving an .odt file in NeoOffice, we create and save a copy of the first page in .pdf format inside of your .odt file. We could have saved all pages of your document in .pdf format, but we found that that would have made the .odt files massive and saving very slow for documents that are only 10 or 20 pages long.

Patrick
smayoo
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject:

OK, understood. Thanks.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject:

OK. I have uploaded a new test patch that is recompiled without debug mode. Can you install it and tell us if the crashing reoccurs?:

http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1_Beta-Patch-0-Test-1-Debug-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
smayoo
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject:

Crashed again. Log in the attachment. I'll try now with PDF support switched off.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3