NeoOffice :: View topic - Some Calc 3.1.1 bugs
Some Calc 3.1.1 bugs

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Some Calc 3.1.1 bugs

Three NeoOffice 3.1.1 patch 0 Calc bugs I observe:

Double clicking in a cell does not highlight that word of a string.
It does select that word and it can be copied without adjacent words.
The highlighting works in the "Input line."
Is this related to native highlighting?

Match is off by -1 if the text string contains certain (any?) punctuation.
Examples found so far are minus/hyphen and apostrophe/single quote.
By removing the mark, it works correctly but that is unsatisfactory.
It worked in 3.0.

Highlighting a row and option-dragging it into the next (empty) row
by the first box takes a long time.
It makes me think it is about to crash and I try to abort with cmd-period.
It has not crashed yet. It can be copied and pasted.

-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Some Calc 3.1.1 bugs

kklare wrote:
Double clicking in a cell does not highlight that word of a string.
It does select that word and it can be copied without adjacent words.
The highlighting works in the "Input line."
Is this related to native highlighting?

I do not see any change in behavior between NeoOffice 3.0.2 and 3.1.1. In both, double-clicking on a cell puts the cursor into the text in the cell. Then, double-clicking again on the word will highlight the word.

kklare wrote:
Match is off by -1 if the text string contains certain (any?) punctuation.
Examples found so far are minus/hyphen and apostrophe/single quote.
By removing the mark, it works correctly but that is unsatisfactory.
It worked in 3.0.

Can you provide steps and attach a sample document that we can use to reproduce this problem?

kklare wrote:
Highlighting a row and option-dragging it into the next (empty) row
by the first box takes a long time.
It makes me think it is about to crash and I try to abort with cmd-period.
It has not crashed yet. It can be copied and pasted.

I am not sure what you are trying to do but there were never any action implemented for option-dragging a row in either NeoOffice 3.0.2 or 3.1.1 nor in any either version's underlying OpenOffice.org code. Also Command-period does nothing as well so you weren't canceling anything as nothing was actually happening.

Is it possible that in NeoOffice 3.0.2 you created custom keyboard shortcuts in the Tools :: Customize menu's dialog? If so, you will need to recreate those custom shortcuts because Oracle's OpenOffice.org engineers made changes to the custom keyboard shortcut preference files that cause NeoOffice's 3.1.1 underlying OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code to be unable to read your NeoOffice 3.0.2 keyboard shortcuts.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject:

Thanks for getting back so soon.

Something about my sheet.
Double click does select the cell.
Double click of a word in the cell does select a word.
But in my big sheet it does not highlight it.
Small example works in same multi-page sheet.

Match works on small example, will have to find a reduced one that fails.

Guess I was hoping for option-dragging to work by analogy. Op error.

This is a spreadsheet for movies stored on hard drives from Dish, ~1450 films plus series etc. Other are listed but not stored. The problem was in looking up the IMDB list of the top 250 and getting information matching between two sheets so only one change is needed.

I do appreciate the work you do and have no plans/desire to go back to MS.
The highlighting is much better than the OO black boxing.

-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
Something about my sheet.
Double click does select the cell.
Double click of a word in the cell does select a word.
But in my big sheet it does not highlight it.
Small example works in same multi-page sheet.

Ah, so it only occurs in certain sheets. Do the cells contain anything unique like a complex formula, multiple lines of text, or do they only contain a small amount of text? Are they "merged cells" (one big cell that spans more than one column and/or row)?

Also, if you turn of native highlighting by selecting the NeoOffice :: Mac OS X Options :: Disable Mac OS X Text Highlighting menu, are you able to highlight text in those cells?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject:

One more thing: can you try installing the following test patch and tell us if there is any change in the highlighting problem? The following test patch fixed some minor highlighting issues in merged cells and my hope is that it might also fix the problem that you see as well:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-0-Test-2-Intel.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2-Patch-4-Test-1-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-0-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.0.2-Patch-4-Test-1-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Patrick,
There are no merged cells (to my knowledge) and I have had them only by accident and had selection or search problems with them, possibly column limited. Is there a way to search for them? Another sheet in the same file does highlight correctly.

Applied the test patch (NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-0-Test-2-Intel) on my MacBook (Early 2009) and there was no change.

Incidentally, the first trial with native MacOS highlight disabled had a lingering HL of the first double click in a cell, i.e., the HL remained when double clicking another word. But thereafter worked correctly. So the HL methods differ on this one page.

It might be difficult to extract this problem with 10000s of cells. I'm attempting a binary search of page, and first part worked correctly. ... All valuable data can be copied but that loses cross-sheet references to 12 sheets. Too bad you cannot copy formatting of columns when selecting a region.
-Ken

BTW, startup spends a lot of time in adjusting row height, say 10 sec.
I have also turned off auto backup because every time I open the laptop, it immediately wants to do the backup and I cannot type for a while.
-Ken

Aside, for a vector calculator program's manual (1984) I wrote a spell check for small memory and a diction (word usage, not grammar) for a VAX. All were in Fortran--"when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything is a nail."
-Ken
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject:

I am able to copy contents to another sheet within workbook. Highlights work. Now I have to adjust the column widths to old sheet and save the mess.
-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
I am able to copy contents to another sheet within workbook. Highlights work. Now I have to adjust the column widths to old sheet and save the mess.

Interesting. So native highlighting works fine after copying? I wonder if the problem is caused by the OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 code being unable to properly handle certain parts of Calc files saved using the NeoOffice 3.0.2's underlying OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 code.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject:

I just found the problem seems to be that I had changed the row height from a default of 18 to 16 points. I wanted to squeeze the height to get more lines visible. It is reproducible and can be undone. I didn't need to rebuild my page, which took some time getting the column widths right and the cross-page references working again after I added a page to work in. I had a problem with tab/sheet references being off by one--it was an extra $ (for absolute) on the tab/sheet reference name.

I don't like the taller cells but don't want to give up native highlighting.
-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
I just found the problem seems to be that I had changed the row height from a default of 18 to 16 points. I wanted to squeeze the height to get more lines visible. It is reproducible and can be undone. I didn't need to rebuild my page, which took some time getting the column widths right and the cross-page references working again after I added a page to work in. I had a problem with tab/sheet references being off by one--it was an extra $ (for absolute) on the tab/sheet reference name.

I can reproduce it as well when I select some rows, then select the Format :: Row :: Height menu, change the height to 0.16" and highlight some text in one of the rows' cells.

This is definitely a bug in the NeoOffice native highlighting code so I will start investigating this bug. I will post an update when I have some news to report.

Patrick
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject:

FYI: I have created Bug 3605 to track this issue.

While testing this bug I was able to reproduce the problem at a row height of 0.16", but when I lowered the row height to 0.08" highlighting once again worked. I don't know if this means a certain range works, or whether the pre-defined heights are what works. (I lowered to the 0.08" height by selecting the Format :: Row :: Height menu and using the down arrow to decrease the row height.)

Fran
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject:

The problem is not that easy. While the Calc SS I was working on is still bad for row height of .16" and fine for .18", I Have another SS where both are fine, i.e., you can select a cell and double click a word in it and its will natively highlight that word and not just select and jump to the word's end.

But that SS on a different page will not do it for .15" .16" and will for .18". So there is some other factor. The first SS was in Arial 10 on both and this one in Helv 9 first page and Helv 9 in .16" box working and Helv 10 in .16" height not working. Back to the first page and 9 and 10 pt works but 10.5 does not, too big? Curiouser and curiouser and beyond me.

BTW, I ended up changing the scale to 90% to give me little more vision on my 13" laptop--no, that didn't change the problem but I had forgotten it.

-Ken
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject:

I have made a matrix of font sizes vs. row heights in Calc.

I found that if double click of one word works then triple click of the cell works and vv. There is a band of incompatibility where no native highlighting is set for double or triple clicks within the cell.

Note that selection still work and thus copy and paste, so you might not even notice it. The reverse-color highlight of non-OSX does work but is uglier.

-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the file. Your timing is good as I think I found the cause and just finished implementing a fix. With my fix, all of the "bad" cells now highlight when you select the text or double-click or triple-click on text in the cell.

I need to do some more testing before I put out a test patch but I should have a test patch available in the next 12 hours or so.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug. Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-0-Test-3-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-0-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2