NeoOffice :: View topic - Some Calc 3.1.1 bugs
Some Calc 3.1.1 bugs

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject:

The quick test of the grid worked.

The test of my recordings SS did not work at first after changing row height from 18 to 16 with 10 pt. Now it does? Close all out and retry from zero, it works so maybe my memory is bad.

I thought you had cured a problem from a year ago but it showed up on the second sheet being much wider. If you open a second SS I often have it come up with the width of the first.
This doesn't matter if they are all the same shape but that only happens when you use the full space for each. Sorry for the different topic.

-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
The test of my recordings SS did not work at first after changing row height from 18 to 16 with 10 pt. Now it does? Close all out and retry from zero, it works so maybe my memory is bad.

I thought you had cured a problem from a year ago but it showed up on the second sheet being much wider. If you open a second SS I often have it come up with the width of the first.
This doesn't matter if they are all the same shape but that only happens when you use the full space for each. Sorry for the different topic.

How do I reproduce this problem? The test patch only fixed the highlighting of text within cells problem and while you may have mentioned the above problem, I don't remember any discussion of it so if you can post the applicable steps and/or attach a sample file, then we can look at it.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject:

Create a new sheet, enter some cells, I did "a b c" in the top row.
Resize the sheet to narrow.
Repeat creating a new sheet (will be same wide default) with say "d e f" just so you can know which is which. No resize.
Close both. Reopen narrower, then the wider.
You will have the narrow sheet but the wider one will be the same small width.

This was from last year some time when I first started with NO and I'm not sure I reported it as I was more an observer.

BTW, thanks for fixing my 1 real problem of 3. The MATCH problem (punctuation causing wrong index returned) may still be there, I just am using a different method so I haven't followed up for now.

-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
Create a new sheet, enter some cells, I did "a b c" in the top row.
Resize the sheet to narrow.
Repeat creating a new sheet (will be same wide default) with say "d e f" just so you can know which is which. No resize.
Close both. Reopen narrower, then the wider.
You will have the narrow sheet but the wider one will be the same small width.

This is actually normal behavior in NeoOffice 3.1.1 underlying OpenOffice 3.1.1 code. The underlying OpenOffice.org code saves in your user preferences a single "preferred window size" setting for Calc windows.

When you manually resized one of your Calc windows (the narrowed one), that triggered OpenOffice.org's Calc code to save that manually resized window's dimensions as the new "preferred window size" setting for Calc windows.

The old preference is cached in memory so until you close all Calc windows, the OpenOffice.org code sets the dimensions of all other Calc windows that you open to the old preference. Then, when you close all of the Calc windows the OpenOffice.org code rereads the preference. Since the preference is now the dimensions of the manually resized window, all of the Calc windows that you open will have the narrow size until you manually resize one of them.

Hope that makes sense.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, I also noticed this missing "in-cell" highlighting in a spreadsheet last night, and installing the test-3 patch seems to have fixed it for me, too Smile

Smokey

Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Seems like they made a bad choice. If it were up to me, but it's not, each sheet would retain its own size rather than be resized by some other sheet. A new sheet would get the latest resizing. Thanks for looking into it.
-Ken

BTW your board software has problem with the bold/underline.... It just writes a closing shift and not the word selected. I did mine manually, not by button. -K
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject:

I too long for a per-document window size/position memory - but I can see why it would be very fiddly to implement.

It wouldn't make sense to store it in the doc itself, because moving the doc to another computer, the screen size/pos might be really unuseful (e.g. different screen resolution) - unless it was stored as a list per MAC address so it was able to be computer-specific. You could only do that with the native .odx files anyway, as there's no provision for this in MS doc structure, as far as I know.

Or get Neo/OOo to store the data in a global preference file on your computer, which could get very huge (an entry for each doc you open); and things would get worse once you moved a doc on your computer, since Neo/OOo would have to assume the doc in a new place is a new doc, so it could end up with loads of redundant size/pos data in its preference file, with no sensible way to clear it other than a global reset.

I don't know if OpenOffice.org are working on this for a future release - it'd be interesting to see how they approach it.

As for formatting in forum messages here, the phpBB software doesn't support formatting selected text after typing it - it will always just append the bbcode onto the very end of the text, so you have to either format as you type, or (as you did) enter it manually afterwards. Old school Smile.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject:

FYI. The fix for the highlighting bug is included in NeoOffice 3.1.1 Patch 1. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2