· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Trouble sharing Calc file
Trouble sharing Calc file

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSPeacock
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Trouble sharing Calc file

Trying to have two people edit one Calc file. I have used the "Share Document" feature to set the file up in "shared mode"
. The second person can access the file over the network and open it, but ONLY in "read-only" mode. Even after the second user has opened the file in "read only" mode I still don't "see" them as a user within NeoOffice when I look at the "share document" tab to check for access. What am I doing wrong?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject:

I am not able to reproduce the problem that you see using NeoOffice 3.1.1.

Are you using an earlier version of NeoOffice? To check the version of NeoOffice, select the Help :: About NeoOffice menu.

If each of the machines opening the file are running NeoOffice 3.1.1, then can you tell us if all machines opening the file are Mac OS X machines? In my case, I have two Mac OS X machines accessing a shared volume and that shared volumes also resides on a Mac OS X machine.

Patrick
SSPeacock
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Both machines are running MAC OS 10.6.3 and NeoOffice 3.1.1. The calc file is in a shared folder on one machine and the second person connects as a guest with read and write permissions to a shared folder that contains the file on the host machine.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject:

SSPeacock wrote:
Both machines are running MAC OS 10.6.3 and NeoOffice 3.1.1. The calc file is in a shared folder on one machine and the second person connects as a guest with read and write permissions to a shared folder that contains the file on the host machine.

OK. That is similar to how I did it on my machines. The one difference that I did is that instead of the second person logging in as a guest, the second person logged in as the same user as the first person.

While that is not something I recommend doing in normal work, can you try having logging in from the second person's machine using the first person's username and tell us if you can open the file in share mode? If you can open it in share mode, then that tells us that there are still some file permissions issues that we can investigate next.

Patrick
SSPeacock
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Logged in as the registered user on he host laptop. No change. The host has the file opened in shared mode. I reconnect to his computer as registered user and open the file in "read only" mode.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject:

SSPeacock wrote:
Logged in as the registered user on he host laptop. No change. The host has the file opened in shared mode. I reconnect to his computer as registered user and open the file in "read only" mode.

OK. I did my testing on two Mac OS X 10.4.11 machines so I will try to setup two Mac OS X 10.6.3 machines within the next 24 hours to see if this is a problem that only appears on Snow Leopard.

I will post any results that I find from my tests tomorrow morning, California time.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject:

I might have found something. With Mac OS X 10.6.x, file sharing is very restrictive by default so can you do the following steps and tell us what you find?:

1. On the machine that is sharing its disk with other machines, launch the Mac OS X System Preferences application and click on the Sharing icon

2. In the left panel, select "File Sharing" and then press the Options button on the right side of the window.

3. In the dialog that appears, make sure that the "Share file and folders using AFP" and click the Done button.

Does that fix the problem? On Snow Leopard, the default is to only share files using FTP and FTP really is only a "upload and download" file protocol so shared access to files will not work if you only the "Share files and folders using FTP" checked.

Patrick
SSPeacock
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:
3. In the dialog that appears, make sure that the "Share file and folders using AFP" and click the Done button.

Unfortunately, both machines were already in this configuration.

I really appreciate your help. I think you can start feeling my frustration.

Obviously, I want to keep working on this specific configuration, but for the record, I have had this problem with another colleague (Using same software versons.). In fact, I have never been able to successfully have multiple users edit the same file....
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Since I cannot reproduce this when I use two Mac OS 10.6.3, I am pretty confident that this is not a NeoOffice issue but is a configuration issue. The key is to find which configuration is the problem.

Just to make sure that we are using the same AFP settings, attached is a screen snapshot of the File Sharing settings in the System Preferences application for the machine that the .ods file actually resides on. Can you verify that your settings are the same as mine?

The next thing is for us to compare file permissions. To do this, can you go to the Find, Control-click or right-click on the .ods file, and in the popup menu that appears, select the Get Info option. In the window that appears, expand the "Ownership & Permissions" section and expand the "Details" subsection.

Then, take a screen snapshot of the entire window by pressing the Command-Shift-4 keys and highlighting the window's area on the screen. This window create a .png image file on your Desktop. If you create such an image file on both Mac OS X machines that are accessing the file and atttach both image files, hopefully that will give us an idea as to why this feature is not working for you.

You can attach image files in your post by following the steps in this forum topic.

Patrick
SSPeacock
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Ok, there is one difference. The host did not have AFP AND FTP checked.

So, now both users can open the file in "shared" mode and I can see the guest user listed in the "Share Document" dialogue box. However, the changes from Host and Guest do not update on each others screens. Since I have never gotten this far I don't know what to expect. Shouldn't changes that the guest makes show up on the Host file and vice versa? Or does each respective user have to "save" after every change in order for the update to hit the other user?

I am sorry for my lack of knowledge here and I really appreciate your help.

I'll have the permissions screenshots in a bit.
SSPeacock
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Here are the host and guest permissions.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject:

I noticed that you are trying to share an Excel file. Unfortunately, I do not think NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code supports sharing of Excel files. I suspect that this feature is only supported for editing files in OpenOffice.org's native Calc file format.

Can you try saving your document as an ODF Spreadsheet (.ods) file using the File :: Save As menu? Are you then able to share the .ods file?

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
SSPeacock
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject:

DOH!

Details....sorry about that....wasn't aware of the difference in how those are handled. Stand by, switching to .ods.
SSPeacock
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Ok. File is now in .ods format and both have it open in shared mode. I also see the guest listed as a user in the "share document" dialogue box.

Now as we make changes does each user need to "save" and the other "reload" in order for the changes to show up?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject:

SSPeacock wrote:
Now as we make changes does each user need to "save" and the other "reload" in order for the changes to show up?

Yes. After one user saves their changes, the other users need to select the Tools :: Merge Document menu to pull in the saved changes.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2