Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Will not print spreadsheet
Will not print spreadsheet

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mogal7
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Will not print spreadsheet

I am unable to print spreadsheet. The message, " There is nothing to print. The selected print range or sheet is empty." I had done an upgrade, shut computer down still won't recognize & print. I then cut/paste old spreadsheet to new one after upgrade. Still will not recognize. Other ideas??
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject:

For some reason, your question was posted twice. I've deleted the other post. It sounds like a print range has been defined that is empty.

Take a look at the article on Printing Spreadsheets in the Neowiki and see if that helps.

Please post back and let us know if the issue is resolved by following the instructions in the article, or if you need more assistance.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject:

If the current sheet is not empty, then most likely the problem that Lorinda describe is the cause. If a sheet has a print range defined, only content with that cell range will be printed instead of the entire sheet. To test Lorinda's theory, select the Edit :: Select All menu to select all of the cells in the current sheet and then select the Format :: Print Ranges :: Remove menu to remove all print ranges for the currently selected sheet.

Does removing all of the print ranges reenable printing for you?

Patrick
phule
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject:

I too am unable to print spreadsheets even after I've specified a range. The SS I want to print is for options on each day of the week, just seven days. Yet when I print it, it prints 2 pages and there are no horizontal and vertical lines for each cell.

PS I'm using NeoOffice 3.1,.1 patch 1
OS X 10.6.3

Last edited by phule on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Is this a spreadsheet you can share with us?

If not, can you recreate the problem with a new spreadsheet you could share?

Lorinda
phule
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Is this a spreadsheet you can share with us?

If not, can you recreate the problem with a new spreadsheet you could share?

Lorinda

Here's my mother's weekly medicine scheduled.

Bob

Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the sample document.

It does print as two pages for me. But if I go to the Format menu and choose Page, then set the orientation to Landscape, it prints as one page.

I don't have lines around the cells in my "print" copy (I'm actually choosing File>Print, then clicking on Preview so I don't waste paper).

Does setting the orientation to Landscape help?

I'm currently working on a machine running Leopard. I'll check my PPC Tiger machine here in a few minutes and see if I get different results.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Like Lorinda, printing your spreadsheet works fine for me so I suspect that there might be a problem with the printer configuration on your machine.

To test your printer, can you try the following steps?:

1. Open an empty Writer document by selecting the File :: New :: Text Document and type a few words of text.

2. Select the File :: Print menu and when the print dialog appears, press the "Preview" button instead of the "Print" button.

The Preview application should open and display the print output of your Writer document. Does the Preview application display your print output? If so, press the Print button in the Preview application. Does the displayed print output actually print on your printer?

Patrick
phule
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Like Lorinda, printing your spreadsheet works fine for me so I suspect that there might be a problem with the printer configuration on your machine.

To test your printer, can you try the following steps?:

1. Open an empty Writer document by selecting the File :: New :: Text Document and type a few words of text.

2. Select the File :: Print menu and when the print dialog appears, press the "Preview" button instead of the "Print" button.

The Preview application should open and display the print output of your Writer document. Does the Preview application display your print output? If so, press the Print button in the Preview application. Does the displayed print output actually print on your printer?

Patrick

The printer works fine in Writer mode. When I try printing a spreadsheet, NO doesn't automatically choose landscape mode.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject:

phule wrote:
The printer works fine in Writer mode. When I try printing a spreadsheet, NO doesn't automatically choose landscape mode.

NeoOffice does not automatically select landscape mode. Lorinda manually changed it.

To change a spreadsheet to print all sheets in landscape mode, first select all of the sheets by clicking on the first tab near the bottom of the Calc window and then Shift-clicking the last tab. Once all of the tabs are selected, select the Page :: Format menu and in the dialog that appears, click on the "Landscape" radio button and press the OK button.

After you do the above steps, select the File :: Print menu, and press the Preview button in the native print dialog, does the output that appears in the Preview application appear rotated?

Patrick
phule
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
phule wrote:

NeoOffice does not automatically select landscape mode. Lorinda manually changed it.

To change a spreadsheet to print all sheets in landscape mode, first select all of the sheets by clicking on the first tab near the bottom of the Calc window and then Shift-clicking the last tab. Once all of the tabs are selected, select the Page :: Format menu and in the dialog that appears, click on the "Landscape" radio button and press the OK button.

After you do the above steps, select the File :: Print menu, and press the Preview button in the native print dialog, does the output that appears in the Preview application appear rotated?

Patrick

Sorry to be dense, but I don't see a Page::Format menu item. I do see a Format::Page... menu though, and on the is a Format>Page>Page menu is a Landscape radio button. Is this what you're referring too?

Funny, prior to NO 3.1.1 I never had to switch to Landscape view when printing any spreadsheets.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject:

phule wrote:
Sorry to be dense, but I don't see a Page::Format menu item. I do see a Format::Page... menu though, and on the is a Format>Page>Page menu is a Landscape radio button. Is this what you're referring too?

Yes. I type "Page :: Format" when I really meant "Format :: Page".

phule wrote:
Funny, prior to NO 3.1.1 I never had to switch to Landscape view when printing any spreadsheets.

This is not new behavior. I just checked NeoOffice 2.2.6 and 3.0.2 and for me all new spreadsheets that I create are set to Portrait printing by default.

Is it possible that you are opening existing spreadsheet files that were set to print in landscape mode sometime in the past? NeoOffice does save the print mode when you save a file so once you set it to landscape mode and save, the next time you open that file it will print in landscape mode.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject:

It's also possible that you (or someone) changed the default template to landscape at some point in the past, and that the default template didn't transfer over when upgrading. If that's the case, creating a new default template wet to landscape should help. See Editing Default Styles and using Templates in the neowiki for more info.

Lorinda
phule
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
It's also possible that you (or someone) changed the default template to landscape at some point in the past, and that the default template didn't transfer over when upgrading. If that's the case, creating a new default template wet to landscape should help. See Editing Default Styles and using Templates in the neowiki for more info.

Lorinda

Ahaa! Just checked ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0/user/template and it's empty. Oh goodie - I get to start over again Sad

Thanks all!

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject:

phule wrote:
Ahaa! Just checked ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0/user/template and it's empty. Oh goodie - I get to start over again Sad

It's possible that the templates are still in the old NeoOffice preferences folder; you'd just need to move them to the current folder (and then re-set them as default inside NeoOffice); see Recovering Settings from Old or Corrupt Preferences for info about the old preferences folders, particularly the first section about manually importing, since the OOo 3 prefs migrator is apparently quite useless.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2