NeoOffice :: View topic - 3.1.1 patch 0 Freezing entire computer
3.1.1 patch 0 Freezing entire computer

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the Terminal application output. The good news is that my conclusion that you have system hacks was wrong: I see no system hacks in your list.

The bad news is now I am really perplexed as to what is happening on your machine that is different from other machines. Since both the Mac OS X installer tool and NeoOffice are experiencing problems and neither of those share any common code, I believe that there is something unique about your machine's configuration that is causing this. The hard part is find what is unique.

Since you mentioned that in Activity Monitor applications you saw the list of applications change frequently, can you quit all of the applications except Activity Monitor so that only Activity Monitor is shown as running in the Mac OS X Dock? This will eliminate any competition for CPU usage from other applications so that we can run the NeoOffice patch installer in isolation.

Once you quit all applications except Activity Monitor, then can you do the following steps?:

1. Launch the NeoOffice patch installer and immediately select the Window :: Installer Log menu. In the window that appears, change the listbox in the lower left corner to "Show Everything".

2. Step through the installer until it hangs. When it hangs, copy the last 10 or so lines in the "Show Everything" window and post those lines for us.

3. Switch to the Activity Monitor application and select the NeoOffice line, press the Inspect toolbar button, and in the window that appears, click the Sample button. Hopefully this will create a file that you can save and attach after you are forced to reboot.

Patrick
paulgabel
Operator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Here's step 2 of what you asked for:

Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: @(#)PROGRAM:Install PROJECT:Install-581
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: @(#)PROGRAM:Installer PROJECT:Installer-430.1
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: Hardware: iMac4,1 @ 2.00 GHz (x 2), 2048 MB RAM
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: Running OS Build: Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: Env: PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: Env: TMPDIR=/var/folders/4t/4td9sx-tFFm-jnwSduTMm++++TI/-Tmp-/
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: Env: SHELL=/bin/bash
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: Env: HOME=/Users/paulgabel
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: Env: USER=paulgabel
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: Env: LOGNAME=paulgabel
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: Env: DISPLAY=/tmp/launch-9iQvW6/org.x:0
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: Env: SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-Qnrp8t/Listeners
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: Env: Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-gy5sMB/Render
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: Env: COMMAND_MODE=unix2003
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: Env: __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: NeoOffice 3.1.1 Patch 2 Installation Log
Aug 19 14:31:01 c-71-204-162-178 Installer[1384]: Opened from: /Users/paulgabel/Desktop/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Intel.pkg

Paul
paulgabel
Operator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject:

I'm not forced to reboot when trying to install patch 2. Forced reboot occurs only when the spinning gear wheel pops up as I'm using NeoOffice.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject:

paulgabel wrote:
I'm not forced to reboot when trying to install patch 2. Forced reboot occurs only when the spinning gear wheel pops up as I'm using NeoOffice.

OK. But is the patch installer still hanging? If so, you did not do the last step that I listed in my last post. I was expecting that you would provide output from steps 2 and 3 but you only gave the output from step 2. So, can you please rerun that NeoOffice patch installer and when it hangs do the following step that I had in my last post:

- Switch to the Activity Monitor application and select the NeoOffice line, press the Inspect toolbar button, and in the window that appears, click the Sample button to create a sample file, and attach that file.

Patrick
paulgabel
Operator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Step 3. I forgot to mention that when I switch to Activity Monitor there is no NeoOffice line to click on (perhaps because NeoOffice is not open).

Paul

P.S. You're a very patient person. I appreciate it.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject:

paulgabel wrote:
Step 3. I forgot to mention that when I switch to Activity Monitor there is no NeoOffice line to click on (perhaps because NeoOffice is not open).

Argh. My mistake. I meant to write "NeoOffice patch installer" where I wrote "NeoOffice" but even that would not have helped you much.

So what I really meant to ask you to do is to select the Activity Monitor application's "Process Name" field (to sort the list by name). Then select the "Installer" line, press the Inspect toolbar button, and in the window that appears, click the Sample button to create a sample file, and attach that file.

If you also see a "bash" line (that is our /Applications folder search script), select that and repeat the above steps.

Between the two sample, I should be able to tell what the Mac OS X installer tool is actually doing.

paulgabel wrote:
P.S. You're a very patient person. I appreciate it.

I definitely appreciate your patience. Finding the cause of problems like this can be very time consuming and very frustrating when a possible cause ends up leading to a dead end. But I am very confident that we will find the cause of this problem.

Patrick
paulgabel
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject:

Patrick:

Here's the Installer Sample.
paulgabel
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject:

Patrick:

Here's the Bash Sample.

(I think I accidentally sent the Installer Sample twice.)

Paul
paulgabel
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject:

Patrick:

After sending you the Installer and Bash samples, and after leaving the Installer running (hanging?) for quite a while, I noticed that the Installer window showed all 3 of my hard disk icons UNdimmed, but with the caution exclamation mark indicating I couldn't install the patch on any disk. The Installer should install onto NeoOffice on the disk named "Macintosh HD." See attached file.

Paul
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the samples. They show that the Mac OS X installer tool is definitely running our script that checks if NeoOffice is installed in a volume's /Applications folder.

The next step is to figure out which volume the script is getting stuck in. Can you try the following steps?:

1. Unmount one of your volumes by dragging the volume's icon on your Desktop to the Trash. Do not worry as this will not delete your volume. It will only take it "offline".

2. Rerun the NeoOffice patch installer and if it hangs for more than 2 minutes, force quit it and restart at step 1 by unmounting another volume.

3. When you are able to run the NeoOffice patch installer and it lets you select a volume to install to with less the 2 minutes of hanging, then let the patch installer finish, reboot to remount all of the unmounted volumes, and then copy and post the name of the last volume that you unmounted.

After you find the volume that the script is getting stuck in, I will give you some steps to run so that we can run the script against only that one volume and we can see where in the script the hang is occurring.

Patrick
paulgabel
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Patrick:

I'm going to follow your latest suggestions pretty soon. In the meantime, here's a screenshot of my other (related?) problem. I've turned online updating OFF, but the spinning gear wheel pops up (just happened a minute ago) and freezes my computer. Often this happens immediately after I've saved my document, but sometimes it occurs at other times. I think (but don't know) that it's trying to automatically update NeoOffice.

Paul
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject:

paulgabel wrote:
I'm going to follow your latest suggestions pretty soon. In the meantime, here's a screenshot of my other (related?) problem. I've turned online updating OFF, but the spinning gear wheel pops up (just happened a minute ago) and freezes my computer. Often this happens immediately after I've saved my document, but sometimes it occurs at other times. I think (but don't know) that it's trying to automatically update NeoOffice.

It is hard to tell if that is the cause or not. Is it possible to get a sample of the NeoOffice process using Activity Monitor when this happens? I suspect that NeoOffice is using all available CPU so you may need to click on the Activity Monitor icon in the Dock and wait a minute or two for the click to bring that application to the front. Subsequent clicks will likely also be very, very slow but if you wait long enough, they should work.

If you can eventually get a sample from Activity Monitor like you did for the installer when the need lockup happens, you may be able to avoid rebooting by pressing the Comman-Alt-Escape keys and wait for the "list of running applications" window to appear. If it eventually appears, select NeoOffice and press the Force Quit button. It may take a minute or more for the button press to take effect, but when it does, NeoOffice will go away and hopefully your machine will no longer be locked up. Then you can attach the sample file without having to reboot.

Patrick
paulgabel
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Patrick:

Here's the latest. I carefully followed the instructions on your next to last post (about dragging disk icons to the trash). Maxtor to trash/ran Installer/waited 2 minutes/no result. La Cie to trash/ran Installer/waited 2 minutes/then at the very end of the 2 minutes it let me select the Macintosh HD (internal hard disk). So I did this and the Installer started working. Then it stuck for about 2 or 3 minutes (see attachment). Then it finished up ("installation successful"). So we're getting somewhere!

I'll deal with your latest post in a few minutes.

Paul
paulgabel
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Patrick:

Regarding your last post, after the spinning gear wheel freeze I can't do anything as the cursor disappears. Command-Option-Escape won't work either, I've tried it.

Paul
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject:

paulgabel wrote:
Here's the latest. I carefully followed the instructions on your next to last post (about dragging disk icons to the trash). Maxtor to trash/ran Installer/waited 2 minutes/no result. La Cie to trash/ran Installer/waited 2 minutes/then at the very end of the 2 minutes it let me select the Macintosh HD (internal hard disk). So I did this and the Installer started working. Then it stuck for about 2 or 3 minutes (see attachment). Then it finished up ("installation successful"). So we're getting somewhere!

That is very interesting that it takes so long for our scripts to check if NeoOffice is in each volume's /Applications folder. On my Mac OS X 10.6.4 machine, it takes only about 10 seconds before all 5 of my machine's volumes are selectable.

I suspect that there is something very unusual about your volumes that is causing reading those volumes to abnormally slow. I don't know yet if the freezing when NeoOffice is running is also related to this but we definitely should continue trying to get to the cause of the excessive slow volume reading as this will slow down most applications as almost all applications read and write many small preference and/or temporary files in your Home folder.

Can you collect some data about each of your volume's for us using the following steps? These steps will help see if there is adequate disk space on each volume:

1. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, copy the following command into the Terminal window, press the Return key, and post the output:

Code:
df -k

2. Copy the following command into the Terminal window, press the Return key, and post the output if any:

Code:
find ~/Library/InputManagers /Library/InputManagers -type d -maxdepth 1

3. Copy the following command into the Terminal window, press the Return key, and post the output:

Code:
ls -l /var/vm

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3