Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Linking Two different spread sheets (different files)
Linking Two different spread sheets (different files)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lps
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Linking Two different spread sheets (different files)

I am having trouble following directions to LINK cells on Two different
Spread Sheets in two different files. I must have followed the instructions several times, but no success.

If you wish to connect cells in two different sheets IN THE SAME FILE it works fine. But not between FILES. I could find nothing in the Forum.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject:

One question: are trying to link only single cell? If so, I am working on a writing set of steps for you but if you are trying to link to a range of cells, let us know as that would definitely have a different set of steps.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject:

I found a simple way to link a cell from another Calc file. Can you try the following steps and tell us if the following steps work for you?

Important note: the following steps will only link only non-formula cells so if you try to link to a formula cell, you will get zero or blank as the result. If you are trying to link to a formula cell, let us know as that can be done, but it is much more complicated:

1. Open the spreadsheet document that has the cell you want to link to

2. In that document, select the cell to link to and copy it by selecting the Edit :: Copy menu

3. Switch to the spreadsheet document that you want to put the link in and select the Edit :: Paste Special menu. In the dialog that appears, check the "Link" checkbox in the bottom left corner and press the OK button

If you linked cell is a data cell and not a formula cell, the value in the cell in the linked document should appear in your spreadsheet.

Does that work for you?

Patrick
lps
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
One question: are trying to link only single cell? If so, I am working on a writing set of steps for you but if you are trying to link to a range of cells, let us know as that would definitely have a different set of steps.

Patrick

I am trying to post only to a single cell. That is, I am trying to take the contents of one cell on one sheet and have it transferred to a single cell on another sheet in a different file.
lps
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject:

lps wrote:
pluby wrote:

Patrick

I am trying to post only to a single cell. That is, I am trying to take the contents of one cell on one sheet and have it transferred to a single cell on another sheet in a different file.

OK. This works. But the language is a little peculiar. Your instructions are excellent, but I did not understand them at first. I select a CELL which I am GOING to have stuff in. I copy that cell. I to to the OTHER SHEET and then I Edit Paste Special and the LINK option appears. Wonderful. I am relatively happy.

However, as always, there is more. I will be working on TestSheetA. I will have it calculate some items and put the results in (say) cell D7. Now, when that is calculated I want the result to go to TestSheetB in (say) cell E12.

Will the same procedure work? If not, what is different, or harder?

Thanks.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject:

lps wrote:
However, as always, there is more. I will be working on TestSheetA. I will have it calculate some items and put the results in (say) cell D7. Now, when that is calculated I want the result to go to TestSheetB in (say) cell E12.

This can be done, but it requires some different steps. Basically, what you need to do is link a range of cells that not only includes the the formula cell that you want, but also includes the cells that that formula is cell calculated from.

Assuming that all of cell that you want to link to and the data cells that the formula uses are all in the same sheet, the simplest way to do what you want to do is link the entire sheet. You can do this using the following steps:

1. Open the spreadsheet document that has the cell you want to link to.

2. Go to the sheet that has the formula that you want to link to and select the entire sheet by selecting the Edit :: Select All menu.

3. Select the Data :: Define Range menu. In the dialog that appears, enter a name that you want to call the selected sheet and remember it as you will need it in one of the steps below. The "Range" field should automatically get filled in with all of the selected cells so just press the OK button.

4. Save the document so that the new range name is saved and then switch to the other spreadsheet document.

5. Move to an empty sheet, select the A1 cell, and select the Insert :: Link to External Data menu. In the dialog that appears, select your document in the "URL of external data source" field. You should then see the name of the range that you defined in step 3 above. Select that range and press the OK button.

At this point, the entire sheet will be linked.

Do the above steps properly link your formula cells for you? If not, what errors do you see in the linked formula cells?

Patrick
lps
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject:

lps wrote:
lps wrote:
pluby wrote:

Patrick

OK. This works. But the language is a little peculiar. Your instructions are excellent, but I did not understand them at first. I select a CELL which I am GOING to have stuff in. I copy that cell. I to to the OTHER SHEET and then I Edit Paste Special and the LINK option appears. Wonderful. I am relatively happy.

Thanks.

I have tried EXACTLY what you told me to do with FORMULA cells. it works. I have tried it several times and it continues to work. To recapitulate, here is what I did. I went to the FileTestSheetA and made sure that I knew where the data would be stored. Say this was Cell D8. I copied that EMPTY cell to FileTestSheetB, say Cell E15. Then I returned to FileTestSheetA and set up my formula, making sure that the answer of my calculations went to cell D8. The result, after a slight pause (measured in a few seconds) appeared in FileTestSheetB in Cell E15. That works. I am happy...for the moment.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject:

lps wrote:
I have tried EXACTLY what you told me to do with FORMULA cells. it works. I have tried it several times and it continues to work. To recapitulate, here is what I did. I went to the FileTestSheetA and made sure that I knew where the data would be stored. Say this was Cell D8. I copied that EMPTY cell to FileTestSheetB, say Cell E15. Then I returned to FileTestSheetA and set up my formula, making sure that the answer of my calculations went to cell D8. The result, after a slight pause (measured in a few seconds) appeared in FileTestSheetB in Cell E15. That works. I am happy...for the moment.

I think we were posting at the same time so you probably have not seen the steps I just posted for linking formula cells. Can you try the steps in this post?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1