NeoOffice :: View topic - Changes to the native Open and Save dialogs
Changes to the native Open and Save dialogs

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject:

FYI. The native Open dialog changes the last test patch are in NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2. To download NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2, use the download link in this NeoWiki article.

Please note that the NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2 installer should find and update your existing NeoOffice 2013 Beta installation. If you don't have NeoOffice 2013 Beta already installed, it will install in /Applications/NeoOffice.app and overwrite any regular NeoOffice installation there if you have not renamed it. So, if you have NeoOffice 3.3 installed, we recommend that you rename it before installing NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2.

NeoOffice Secure Edition testers: NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2 is incompatible with NeoOffice Secure Edition so if you have one of the NeoOffice Secure Edition versions installed, we recommend that you delete your NeoOffice Secure Edition user preference files by executing the following command in a Terminal window before installing NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2:

Quote:
rm -Rf ~/Library/Containers/org.neooffice.NeoOfficeSecureEdition/Data/Library/Preferences/NeoOfficeSecureEdition

Edit by pluby: added special steps for NeoOffice Secure Edition testers.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:06 am; edited 3 times in total
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject:

Installed the NO2013 Beta2. On the first run when in Writer I selected File::OpenRecent and selected one of the items in the list instead of the document opening it opened an Open File window.

I hit the return key or click on the open button and the file then opens. On all subsequent times I when I use File::Open Recent it opens the file directly without the Open File window appearing.

When I restart NO2013 on the first run the pattern repeats itself.

Galen
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject:

Pluby wrote
Quote:
Please note that the NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2 installer should find and update your existing NeoOffice 2013 Beta or NeoOffice Secure Edition installation. If you don't have NeoOffice 2013 Beta or NeoOffice Secure Edition already installed, it will install in /Applications/NeoOffice.app and overwrite any regular NeoOffice installation there if you have not renamed it.

On my system it installed over the NeoOffice 3.3 and not the NeoOffice Secure Edition.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject:

revsmitty wrote:
Installed the NO2013 Beta2. On the first run when in Writer I selected File::OpenRecent and selected one of the items in the list instead of the document opening it opened an Open File window.

I hit the return key or click on the open button and the file then opens. On all subsequent times I when I use File::Open Recent it opens the file directly without the Open File window appearing.

When I restart NO2013 on the first run the pattern repeats itself.[/quote]

So you you keep seeing the Mac OS X "do you want to grant access to this folder" native Open dialog? This tells me Apple's App Sandbox is forgetting your previous approval to open the document.

Since Apple's App Sandbox store your prior approvals in your NeoOffice 2013 user preferences folder. Can you try the following steps and tell us if the problem still occurs? These steps will delete and recreate your user preferences folder:

1. Quit NeoOffice 2013 and delete your NeoOffice 2013 user preference files by executing the following command in a Terminal window:

Quote:
rm -Rf ~/Library/Containers/org.neooffice.NeoOfficeSecureEdition/Data/Library/Preferences/NeoOfficeSecureEdition

2. If you are running a Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks developer preview, you must reboot before doing the next steps.

3. Relaunch NeoOffice 2013 and since the File :: Recent Documents menu will now be empty, open a file from the Finder.

4. Quit and relaunch NeoOffice 2013. Then select the document in the File :: Recent Documents menu.

Does the document open without any Open dialogs appearing?

Quote:
On my system it installed over the NeoOffice 3.3 and not the NeoOffice Secure Edition.

I may be wrong about NeoOffice 2013 being compatible with the NeoOffice Secure Edition Betas. However, I did test upgrading from NeoOffice 2013 Beta on my machine so can you rename your NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2 installation and then reinstall NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2?

Does it appear to reinstall over your existing renamed installation or is it installed as "NeoOffice". Also, after reinstalling does a document in the File :: Recent Documents menu still open without any Open dialogs appearing?

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject:

Pluby wrote
Quote:
Since Apple's App Sandbox store your prior approvals in your NeoOffice 2013 user preferences folder. Can you try the following steps and tell us if the problem still occurs? These steps will delete and recreate your user preferences folder:

I deleted the preferences by following the steps you posted.
When I restart NO2013 B2 open a document then close it to repopulate the Recent Documents window and then use the Recent Documents the first time it still opens the Open File dialogue window. Subsequent times using Recent Documents it opens the file directly.

Quote:
Does it appear to reinstall over your existing renamed installation or is it installed as "NeoOffice". Also, after reinstalling does a document in the File :: Recent Documents menu still open without any Open dialogs appearing?

As instructed I renamed the NO2013 Beta2 and then reinstalled. It again installed over the NeoOffice 3.3 with Patch 7 I had reinstalled and did not replace the NeoOffice Secure Edition or the renamed NeoOffice 2013 installations.

**Edit by Galen**
When I did not have a NeoOffice 3.3 installation it did appear to install over the renamed NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2 installation

Also when I tried the File::Recent Documents I got the same behavior as above.
I'm running OS X 10.8.4

Galen
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject:

revsmitty wrote:
As instructed I renamed the NO2013 Beta2 and then reinstalled. It again installed over the NeoOffice 3.3 with Patch 7 I had reinstalled and did not replace the NeoOffice Secure Edition or the renamed NeoOffice 2013 installations.

I can now reproduce this. I will try tweaking our installer configuration settings to see if I can get the installer to making the "find and update" feature have precedence over the "install in default location" feature.

revsmitty wrote:
Also when I tried the File::Recent Documents I got the same behavior as above.

I still cannot reproduce this behavior on my Mac OS X 10.8.4 machine. I have been testing using documents on my Desktop. Are you opening documents that are on a remote volume? If so, does the File :: Recent Documents menu also keep displaying the native Open dialog when you open a file on your Desktop or your Home folder?

Patrick
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject:

The documents I am trying to open with Recent Files are in the Documents folder under the Home. Some are actually a couple folders deep for example:
Galen/Document/Church/Sermons/Filename
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject:

revsmitty wrote:
The documents I am trying to open with Recent Files are in the Documents folder under the Home. Some are actually a couple folders deep for example:

I can now reproduce this. I created a ~/Documents/Folder/Folder/Folder subfolder, saved a document in the deepest subfolder, and quit NeoOffice 2013. When I restarted NeoOffice 2013 and selected the document from the File :: Recent Documents menu, the native Open dialog appears.

I will investigate this bug (and the installer configuration bug) and post again when I have some news to report.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject:

FYI. I think that I have fixed the following 2 bugs in NeoOffice 2013 Beta 3. To download NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2, use the download link in this NeoWiki article:

revsmitty wrote:

I found that you would see the native Open dialog each time you relaunched NeoOffice and tried to open a file from the File :: Recent Documents menu because the Mac OS X function that our code calls to obtain read/write access to a the file was failing. I corrected the options that we are passing to that Mac OS X function and now NeoOffice should remember which files and folders you have opened in previous runs of NeoOffice.

revsmitty wrote:

I could not find any installer configuration settings that would stop the installer from overwriting NeoOffice 3.3 when it is installed as NeoOffice in the Applications folder so in NeoOffice 2013 Beta 3, I switched the installer behavior back to the following:

1. If you have NeoOffice 3.3 or earlier installed as NeoOffice in the Applicadtions folder, your existing installation will not be overwritten. Instead, the installer will install NeoOffice 2013 Beta in a new NeoOffice folder in the Applications folder.

2. If you have any of NeoOffice 2013 or NeoOffice Secure Edition releases installed, the NeoOffice 2013 Beta installer will upgrade your existing NeoOffice 2013 or NeoOffice Secure Edition installation wherever it is already installed.

Can you install NeoOffice 2013 Beta 3 and tell us if either of the above bugs still occur for you?

Patrick
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject:

Downloaded NO 2013 Beta 3 and your changes to the installer and bug fixes have corrected the two issues I reported above.

Galen
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the native Open and Save dialog changes in NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 8. The patch can be downloaded from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2