NeoOffice :: View topic - Size of memory needed
Size of memory needed

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbl
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Size of memory needed

Hello There
I'm using a PWBook G4 667 Mhz with 512 MO.
I have the impression since I installed the patch 8 that Neooffice is eating more and more memory.
Am I OK with 512 MO ? Question
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Size of memory needed

bbl wrote:
Hello There
I'm using a PWBook G4 667 Mhz with 512 MO.
I have the impression since I installed the patch 8 that Neooffice is eating more and more memory.
Am I OK with 512 MO ? Question

More is always better--these days adding more memory is the most cost-effective way to speed up your Mac--but I have been running for 1+ years with only the stock 512 MB in my PBG4 1.33 GHz with no real issues (within reason--I don't usually run Photoshop and Neo/J at the same time, though Wink) Lots of people recommend having at least 1 GB of RAM, though.

As to whether Neo/J has been taking more memory since Patch 8, I haven't noticed, but I also haven't been paying attention.

Smokey
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject:

I have 640 MB in an 800 Mhz iBook 12".

And I have no problems. I usually have Mozilla Suite, NeoOffice, Acrobat, iTunes and a Finder window around and don't get serious slowdowns.

OTOH, I noticed that NeoOffice hit over 1GB of virtual memory recently. This was after I had it running and used it for 12 hours in total. In these cases you can get a wee bit of slowdown. Which is easily solved by restarting the app.

I should also note that Mozilla has a few leaks which slow the system down a lot more in due course.

In short, I wouldn't worry too much. Photoshop is hungry, and I won't even start about Maya or something like that, but most home office applications will cheerfully exist side-by-side when you run NeoOffice/J on a 512MB machine.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject:

As a result of this post, I found that Java 1.3.1 (which is the JVM that Neo/J uses) has a big memory leak. Basically, the leak is that the JVM never disposes of the native window even when you invoke Java's dispose() method. This causes all of the native windows, and their memory-hogging drawing buffers, to never get freed.

This bug is really noticeable when you toggle a presentation document in and out of presentation mode.

I implemented a fix for this Java bug this afternoon and I will include the fix in the next Neo/J 1.1 Alpha 2 patch.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I implemented a fix for this Java bug this afternoon and I will include the fix in the next Neo/J 1.1 Alpha 2 patch.

Nice work! I am looking forward to that patch Smile.
bbl
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject:

Nice Job Razz
I 'll give you a feedback soon

JC
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject:

Be sure to download and install "Patch-9" from http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/patch.php. I just posted this patch this morning and it contains the memory leak fix.

Patrick
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject:

I installed the patch9, and I tryed to open several files, until virtual memory gets 1gb of ram. I closed all the windows... but virtual memory still got 1gb of ram. Is this normal?

f.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject:

This is normal. On Mac OS X, Java "pre-allocates" virtual memory so you see rediculously large virtual memory usage. In other words, the virtual memory for Neo/J is not real. Instead, look at the resident memory number. This is closer to the real memory usage of Neo/J.

Patrick
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject:

I have become memory-counscious recently. And hence my question - how much of memory should NeoOffice use normally. Activity Monitor shows that NeoOffice uses about 120 Mb at the time I am writing this. I have two small docoments open and am wondering if that is ok?

Reading all the last year correspondence in this topic I conclude that I should be more or less ok with my 512Mb memory and iTunes, Mail, Safari and NeoOffice open. but With NeoOffice using 120Mb I am left with only something like 5-10Mb free... Well, maybe a bit more if I close Activity Monitor Wink
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject:

bezvardis wrote:
I have become memory-counscious recently. And hence my question - how much of memory should NeoOffice use normally. Activity Monitor shows that NeoOffice uses about 120 Mb at the time I am writing this. I have two small docoments open and am wondering if that is ok?

Reading all the last year correspondence in this topic I conclude that I should be more or less ok with my 512Mb memory and iTunes, Mail, Safari and NeoOffice open. but With NeoOffice using 120Mb I am left with only something like 5-10Mb free... Well, maybe a bit more if I close Activity Monitor Wink

Activity monitor eats a surprisingly large chunk of CPU, I always find. 120 MB sounds about normal. A lot, but not impossible to bridge. Very Happy with the leak patch, though Smile.

bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

Activity monitor eats a surprisingly large chunk of CPU, I always find. 120 MB sounds about normal. A lot, but not impossible to bridge. Very Happy with the leak patch, though Smile.

Which leak patch do you mean? Is that any kind of a separate patch or is it being included ever since it was mentioned earlier in this discussion?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject:

The "leak patch" is a Java memory leak fix that has been included in the last few official Neo/J 1.1 Beta patches. If you have installed the latest patch, you have the leak fix.

Patrick
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Be sure to download and install "Patch-9" from http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/patch.php.

A small warning to signal that the patch page still list the patch number 8.
I know Patrick always override any previous patch with the latest, so this is only to avoid forthcoming question until the page is corrected.

Max

Edit: What is more surprising is that the about dialog also displays patch 8. ?
Edit 2: This time I should have thought twice before posting. Sorry for the mess!
Sometime reopened threads get confusing...

Last edited by Max_Barel on Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject:

Max_Barel wrote:
A small warning to signal that the patch page still list the patch number 8.
I know Patrick always override any previous patch with the latest, so this is only to avoid forthcoming question until the page is corrected.

FYI. The current patch number is 8. The "Patch-9" post that you quoted was posted several months ago and, at that time, "Patch-9" for Neo/J 1.1 Alpha 2 had just been released.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2