NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject:

How's this?
Smokey + Waldo wrote:
NeoOffice/J is a fully-featured set of office applications (including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and drawing programs) for Mac OS X. Based on the OpenOffice.org office suite, NeoOffice/J has integrated dozens of native Mac features and can import, edit, and exchange files with other popular office programs such as Microsoft™ Office.

Released as free, open-source software under the GNU General Public License (GPL), NeoOffice/J is fully functional and stable enough for everyday use. The software is actively developed, so improvements and small updates are made available on a regular basis.

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
How's this?
Smokey + Waldo wrote:
NeoOffice/J is a fully-featured set of office applications (including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and drawing programs) for Mac OS X. Based on the OpenOffice.org office suite, NeoOffice/J has integrated dozens of native Mac features and can import, edit, and exchange files with other popular office programs such as Microsoftâ„¢ Office.

Released as free, open-source software under the GNU General Public License (GPL), NeoOffice/J is fully functional and stable enough for everyday use. The software is actively developed, so improvements and small updates are made available on a regular basis.

Smokey

I think you nailed it Wink

W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Macintouch

OK, here's my suggested text for MacInTouch (send to pr2003@macintouch.com)--lga suggested we shoot for a Jan 3rd appearance, so sending out late Sunday (US time) should be good.

Here's the deal...I'm leaving in the morning for a trip and likely won't have internet until I get back middle of next week. So I'm leaving it up to the rest of y'all to tweak the text (I'm sure Ric will tweak it as he sees fit to publish, too), and send the final text to MacInTouch Smile

draft/suggested text wrote:
To: pr2003@macintouch.com
Sub: NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta released

NeoOffice/J, the native Mac OS X port of OpenOffice.org (the free, open source Microsoft Office-compatible application suite), has just released the beta of version 1.1. In addition to all of the great Office-compatible features found in OpenOffice.org, NeoOffice/J includes advanced Mac OS X integration--native printing and fonts, no X11 software required and, for the first time, a standard Mac OS X Aqua menubar and drag-and-drop support. The beta release also features new splash screen and document icons, automatic notification of new patches, localization into 40 languages, mouse wheel support, and import of Mac and PC WordPerfect documents.

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/index.php

Insert Name Here
on behalf of the NeoOffice community

Happy New Year!
Smokey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
sardisson wrote:
How's this?
Smokey + Waldo wrote:
NeoOffice/J is a fully-featured set of office applications (including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and drawing programs) for Mac OS X. Based on the OpenOffice.org office suite, NeoOffice/J has integrated dozens of native Mac features and can import, edit, and exchange files with other popular office programs such as Microsoftâ„¢ Office.

Smokey

I think you nailed it Wink

W

I personally am sorry to see the disappearance of the text
that says it doesn't need X11. For me, *that* was the Big Draw for me to move to Neo/J. OK, so it may be a "bit technical", but for those who've been looking on openoffice.org for a Mac port, they'll know what X11's about, and what the advantage of a
non-X11 version is.

Just my $0.02.

Dan
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject:

(Sorry - that last post was me. I forgot to log in. Smile )

Dan
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject:

foxcorner wrote:
I personally am sorry to see the disappearance of the text that says it doesn't need X11. For me, *that* was the Big Draw for me to move to Neo/J. OK, so it may be a "bit technical", but for those who've been looking on openoffice.org for a Mac port, they'll know what X11's about, and what the advantage of a non-X11 version is.

I thought that text was important, too, for the very reasons you enumerated (we're "targetting" two user groups here, those migrating from OOo and those looking for a MSOffice alternative/new word processor, etc., and the X11 bit is valid for the former), but I really couldn't find a good place to put it in the final text. (At VT, the short description is something like "Mac OS X native port of OOo without X11," so it's not totally gone.)

If you (or anyone) can find a good place in that final text for the "It does not require the X11 windowing system used by OpenOffice.org." sentence (or similar), let me know, because that's the one piece of technical geeky speak that should be included Smile

Smokey
(I see "Town Criering" is something that's going to need my attention all the time, as it seems no one else sent anything to MacInTouch... Sad)

Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
If you (or anyone) can find a good place in that final text for the "It does not require the X11 windowing system used by OpenOffice.org." sentence (or similar), let me know, because that's the one piece of technical geeky speak that should be included Smile

Maybe what's needed is a "why's Neo/J different from OOo" line, such as:

"NeoOffice/J differs from the Mac OS X release of OpenOffice.org in not requiring the X11 window system. It also uses native aqua user interface elements such as menus (with more planned)."

This could be a third paragraph in your description.

Probably too wordy, given your space contraints; but you get the idea.

Dan
MrGruff
Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject:

How about:

"NeoOffice/J is a fully-featured set of office applications (including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and drawing programs) for Mac OS X. NeoOffice/J is based on the OpenOffice.org office suite, but operates without the X11 windowing system. The program has integrated dozens of native Mac features and can import, edit, and exchange files with other popular office programs such as Microsoftâ„¢ Office. "

or:

"NeoOffice/J is a fully-featured set of office applications (including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and drawing programs) for Mac OS X. Based on the OpenOffice.org office suite, NeoOffice/J has integrated dozens of native Mac features and can import, edit, and exchange files with other popular office programs such as Microsoftâ„¢ Office. Unlike other OpenOffice.org Mac ports NeoOffice/J does not require the X11 windowing system."

or neither. And I don't mind if others take turns to murder my darlings.

Mr Gruff
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject:

maybe we should try the fan-boy approach:

NeoOffice/J, for REAL Mac users, not some M$ loving PC user wannabes.

I dunno, i think it has a good ring to it.
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:

We can't use that! We're nice!
Smile

Dan
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject:

oh, right. nice.

Neo/J, it is free because we are nice.
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject:

NiceOffice...? Wink
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject:

foxcorner wrote:
jakeOSX wrote:

We can't use that! We're nice!

Speak for yourself! I choose my friends Smile.

But it won't work. The only PC user wannabees I have ever met are those that don't have a Mac. Most of these are PC clueless and wish they could actually have some control over it Smile.

jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject:

slight tangent:

i am still constantly amazed at what people do to their computers. or what they won't because they think it will break it. i mean if it is broken already...

that and i do not like being asked if i also have a 'real' computer. though lately i just say 'no, haven't needed to run any spyware in a while'

off tangent.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject:

** NeoOffice/J - this one doesn't go to 11... **

(This Is Spyware Tap?) - and my personal favourite:

** NeoOffice/J: neXT to this, OOo for X11 is just an anaquanism... **

- yoxi (at 37.8 celsius...)
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6