NeoOffice :: View topic - GUI Icon Redesign
GUI Icon Redesign

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I thought that this might be a good time to list out any technical contrainsts that icon creators need to know.
Patrick

Okay, sadly I find myself getting confused over the term "icon", even within this thread. From context, I'm guessing you're talking about the toolbar icons, yes?

If so, I could modify the icon testing software to only produce 24-bit BMPs. It already handles 3 and 4 on the list....
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject:

yup, this is referring to the toolbar icons (in program icons) not the ones that are double clicked to start the program.

-j
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: OO Mockup Clarification

RedOrchard wrote:

The Most Immediate Need Is To:
(Which I have no idea how to do)

1) Suck out resources of the icons used in 1.1 and 1.9 builds so I know the exact size of each icon and have a base idea to work from.

2) A way for me to put the new icons back into OO so I can see what it looks like.

I put a rough version of a tool to do number 2 out here:

http://brettisangry.com/NeoOffice/

It comes with some perilous instructions, but I can help you get it installed if it's too confusing. This script will add what icons you supply to Neo/j without replacing those that you don't supply. At the moment, the default is set to make unreplaced icons red so you can see which ones you haven't replaced, but that can be changed to not affect unreplaced icons.
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
yup, this is referring to the toolbar icons (in program icons) not the ones that are double clicked to start the program.

-j

By the way, I really like the icons for filetype. They're just really simple and nice.
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: OOO OOO OOO PICK ME!!!!!

sastian wrote:
heh, sory to come along so late on this but i am an experienced UI developer and quite a talented artist, ....

Sastian, now that we've fired back up again, I was wondering if you were still around? Any ignoring was the unintentional result of us just being a lull. Let us know if you're still around!
M-Rick
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject:

I just finished an icons theme for the documents files.

I will upload it with the application theme I made when it will be finished too.
I took some of the drawings from the Nuvola icon theme in SVG.

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject:

M-Rick wrote:

I will upload it with the application theme I made when it will be finished too.

I love the generic one Smile. I am however, not too happy with the nuvola/linuxy look of the pie chart and the presentation screen. Not crisp and modern enough to feel comfy on my mac Sad.

But what happened to the ship? I am wondering if people are spending lots of attention on something that is not the most immediate concern. OTOH, if you want to make pretty icons and have the time and inspiration, god speed!

Best wishes,
Oscar

M-Rick
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I love the generic one Smile.

It was the piece of humor Wink

ovvldc wrote:
I am however, not too happy with the nuvola/linuxy look of the pie chart and the presentation screen. Not crisp and modern enough to feel comfy on my mac Sad.

I'll try something else, gimme time. It is a beginning to have something more pleasant. They are drawn in vector (PDF) so it is easy to change the main item.

ovvldc wrote:
But what happened to the ship? I am wondering if people are spending lots of attention on something that is not the most immediate concern. OTOH, if you want to make pretty icons and have the time and inspiration, god speed!

Best wishes,
Oscar

It's confusing the Ship. I assume you use it because you are a little bit outside of the OOo project so they don't want you to you the logo and the name, but it is a bit confusing anyway, because for me OOo and NeoOffice are the same, just trying to mkae one Aqua look-and-feel. That's why I took back the gulls. But let me do something, I mean ,let me try.
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject:

M-Rick wrote:

oks cool, but those waves and bird shapes, aren't they owned by openoffice.org?

W
M-Rick
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject:

no they are not, and even if they were it is GPL. And everyone if free to use such shapes since they are not the official OOo icons.
It is forbidden to use the official icons that's all, but since they are ugly and available in 128x128, that's not a problem.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject:

The icons look beautiful. However, I am very unconfortable making the Neo/J icons so OpenOffice.org oriented. I really like the ship and I really like the fact the Neo/J is becoming a recognizable product name.

I have seen and continue to see a lot of trash talk about Neo/J from members of the OOo community and, quite frankly, I really don't want to give them another reason to rail against Neo/J.

Also, keep in mind the original reason that our icons are distinct from OOo's. Many people install both Neo/J and OOo X11 and since they compete for the same file types, having distinctly different icon sets makes it obvious whether a file will open in Neo/J or OOo X11.

Patrick
M-Rick
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
The icons look beautiful. However, I am very unconfortable making the Neo/J icons so OpenOffice.org oriented. I really like the ship and I really like the fact the Neo/J is becoming a recognizable product name.

pluby wrote:
Also, keep in mind the original reason that our icons are distinct from OOo's. Many people install both Neo/J and OOo X11 and since they compete for the same file types, having distinctly different icon sets makes it obvious whether a file will open in Neo/J or OOo X11.

Ok, I will try to make them Neo Smile And people will choose what they want, like this no prob Smile Wink

pluby wrote:
I have seen and continue to see a lot of trash talk about Neo/J from members of the OOo community and, quite frankly, I really don't want to give them another reason to rail against Neo/J.

Why ??? If you wouldn't do that with your friends, who would do it ?? They even don't build the Mac X11 version so they'd rather to shut up ... Mad
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject:

M-Rick wrote:
pluby wrote:

Ok, I will try to make them Neo Smile And people will choose what they want, like this no prob Smile Wink

The very OOo oriented icons might be useful to an OOo distribution if they don't make it into Neo/J. These people are also need artwork.

Having said that I am happy that you're working on icons here. They are pretty.

pluby wrote:

Why ??? If you wouldn't do that with your friends, who would do it ?? They even don't build the Mac X11 version so they'd rather to shut up ... Mad

Well, there's a lot of old hard feelings, apparently. And in all honesty, most of it has gone away. But they do build a Mac X11 version - people have worked really hard on getting the new 2.0 to build - so please be civil..

M-Rick
Operator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject:

I thought the ones who built the X11 version where you and the ones who works on NeoOffice too ?
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: New Icon-replacement script.

So there's a new toolbar-icon replacement script up at:
http://brettisangry.com/NeoOffice/
You want the version 0.7, which is notably smaller. I've been working on getting to work with the packaged 6.x release of ImageMagick, but at the moment it works best with the 5.x package that's there at the site.

Those who are already using the script may want to pay attention to the Readme section "Modify the config.tcl" as that lays bare most of the changes in this release.

As always, let me know what you'd like to see next in this script so I know how to prioritize the work.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15