NeoOffice :: View topic - Help with sed
Help with sed

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Help with sed

All:

I'm looking for help with sed, or a method to select the first number in a dotted number sequence. Why? uname -r gives the following: 8.2.0 for 10.4.2, 7.9.0 for 10.3.9. I want to use a if, elif, endif so that it will select some code for Pather vice Tiger vice Jaguar for code testing.

Thanks folks.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject:

I'd recommend ignoring uname -r as this is really a pain to use on Mac OS X.

Instead, you may want to use the script code that uses the /usr/bin/sw_vers command in the following file in the Neo/J CVS respository:

neojava/bin/InstallationCheck

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I'd recommend ignoring uname -r as this is really a pain to use on Mac OS X.

Instead, you may want to use the script code that uses the /usr/bin/sw_vers command in the following file in the Neo/J CVS respository:

neojava/bin/InstallationCheck

Patrick:

Is this in the NeoJ 1-1 cvs and/or HEAD cvs?

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject:

It is in all branches. I have been using the script in the Neo/J installer for at least two years now.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
It is in all branches. I have been using the script in the Neo/J installer for at least two years now.

Found it and I am using an expanded case statement that also stops builds on versions that should not exist (5-9) Also, I don't think anyone is attempting to build OOo 1.9 on Jaguar so I also stop builds if that is the version of MacOSX.

Thank you.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, the most reliable way on Mac OS X to get the exact system version is to examine the sysv gestalt response. If you look at the configure.in for OOo you'll see my code for doing this from a command line via osascript. The sysv response is base 10 encoded, but will get major/minor/revision versions no problem. This is what is used to set the BUILD_OS_MAJOR et. al. environment variables via configure.

The one drawback to this method is that it requires the Finder to be running as apparently the Finder is what is responding to sysv requests. This has posed problems only on XServe build machines where Finder may not be running.

uname is not reliable on Mac OS X (as was said above). The only reliable way to find appropriate version information is the sysv variable (or equivalent).

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

uname is not reliable on Mac OS X (as was said above). The only reliable way to find appropriate version information is the sysv variable (or equivalent).

Ed:

I used Patrick's code, which uses the same method as in a patch that I received from Eric B. This is definately much better than using uname. This is good enough to determine which version is being used. I will know if this works in about 36 hours.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

I think that the /usr/bin/sw_vers command is actually more reliable than the oascript approach as by doing an "nm -g /usr/bin/sw_vers", I found that the sw_vers command looks up the system version using the Core Foundation APIs. My guess is that the gestalt stuff in Mac OS X is really just a wrapper around Core Foundation calls.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
OPENSTEP wrote:

I think that the /usr/bin/sw_vers command is actually more reliable than the oascript approach as by doing an "nm -g /usr/bin/sw_vers", I found that the sw_vers command looks up the system version using the Core Foundation APIs. My guess is that the gestalt stuff in Mac OS X is really just a wrapper around Core Foundation calls.

It is also the way that OOo 1.9 determines which version of MacOSX is running. I just looked at the set_soenv script in config_office.

Patrick, Ed and you have great code and this should solve the problem that I had. (And yes, I am optimistic, just like I believe that Discovery will land at KSC tomorrow, but I'm upset that they will not be overflying the United States as I live in the area where they determine if the flight is going to KSC or White Sands.)

James[/i]
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac OS X version checking

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
It is also the way that OOo 1.9 determines which version of MacOSX is running. I just looked at the set_soenv script in config_office

James

Be aware that the method set_soenv uses in OOo 2.0 (last time I checked) won't actually work on Jaguar, so you may wish to do a different check on Jaguar.

Regards, Terry
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Mac OS X version checking

Terry Teague wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:
It is also the way that OOo 1.9 determines which version of MacOSX is running. I just looked at the set_soenv script in config_office

James

Be aware that the method set_soenv uses in OOo 2.0 (last time I checked) won't actually work on Jaguar, so you may wish to do a different check on Jaguar.

Correct, but I am using the method that Patrick uses. This method does work on Jaguar and prior versions. It is short, simple and to the point. And I like that. The method used by set_soenv is more complex and will not work with Jaguar. It also does not work completely with Tiger (it had to be patched to fully work as the original Tiger did not report a full version in the form 10.x.x but only 10.x).

As soon as I finish the test build I will report back my findings and patches suggestions for the fix.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1