Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Running a windows aplication on a mac
Running a windows aplication on a mac

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fro
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Running a windows aplication on a mac

I want to use paint shop pro 7 on my mac and don't want to buy microsofts emulator any one know of anything? Any responce would be apriceated
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Here's a fairly exhaustive list:

http://www.macwindows.com/emulator.html

bochs is the open source one, although I use VirtualPC myself for the few apps I need to run (mostly things for work that have database clients written in visual basic. AARGH)

ed
fro
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Virual pc

So what do you think of virtual p.c. is it worth getting for a powerbook or will the performance be pitiful?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Virual pc

fro wrote:
So what do you think of virtual p.c. is it worth getting for a powerbook or will the performance be pitiful?

Expect it to perform like a 100 MHz Pentium machine (if you have a 1 GHz G4 with enough RAM)..

I used it for trying to see if a web page would work in IExplorer. That is about as much mileage as I take from it.

knoxer
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject:

If you have a copy of Windows already, you could use 'Q' http://kberg.ch/q/

Q is a Cocoa front end for QEMU http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/ which is a fairly powerful emulator. You won't quite get the performance of VirtualPC, but close.

It's free, being actively developed, and it works. I use it to run AutoCAD in Windows 2000, but I hear it's a lot faster with older versions of Windows.
fro
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Cool

Ok i'll try qemu thing i'll let you know of any problems. Is their any terminal work or compliling stuff like.
knoxer
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject:

There's no terminal work or compiling required, in fact, Q is a drag and drop install. And there's no need to install QEMU seperately, it's included with Q.

Getting Windows installed can be a little tricky though...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject:

The preinstalled disk images have always been a good feature of Virtual PC. I do have to admit, however, that VPC 6 was a dog with Windows XP. 2000 seemed much faster, for some reason, but nowhere near as fast as 95 (or even the old OPENSTEP/Rhapsody developer's preview Smile ). Most emulators are pretty good at emulating generic hardware, so just about any OS should run OK.

ed
fro
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Tried

Well i tried q and it works i have windows 98 installed it is noticably slow is their any say conversion software which can change windows programs to mac. I'm using a powerbook so their isn't that much power (1.5gh). Or do different emulators run quicker than others. I still have to install paint shop pro 7 i'll see how it runs and will get back to you soon. Thanks for all your help though guys!
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject:

ok, so i want to try Q...

i installed it, made a disk image... now how do i install windows on that disk image? i couldn't find any how-to on that part...
knoxer
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject:

You need to boot the virtual machine from a windows install CD (or a disk image of a windows CD), then just follow the directions from the CD....
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1