Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - starting openoffice.org
starting openoffice.org

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macnewbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: starting openoffice.org

Real quick: I installed opensource.org 1.1.2 and when I ran the program, I got the following message: "could not find openoffice program: swriter."

What do I need to do?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Are you using (the included) Start OpenOffice.org to launch OOo 1.1.2? Did your OOo 1.1.2 installation complete successfully?

Smokey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: starting openoffice.org

I successfully installed the program.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject:

If you look in the readme file in the Documentation folder there are some instructions for how to start OpenOffice.org from a command line. If you can run through those instructions and start the application then it may just be a snafu in the launcher.

Also, did you move the application folder after you installed it? If you did, you'll need to update the ".sversionrc" file in your home directory to allow the launcher to find OOo. If you installed the application under a different user account, you may need to copy that file into the home directory of all accounts as well.

ed
macnewbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: starting openoffice.org

I tried to follow the manual instructions for starting the program, and when I tried it I received the following msg: "-bash: setenv: command not found";

Any ideas about what might be happening?
macnewbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: starting openoffice.org

When I opened "startopenoffice.org" it led me to a window which asks, "What is your preferred window server?" What do I need to do here?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: starting openoffice.org

macnewbie wrote:
When I opened "startopenoffice.org" it led me to a window which asks, "What is your preferred window server?" What do I need to do here?

Point it at X11(.app); this should be in /Applications/Utilities, but I think if Start OpenOffice.org is asking the question, it means X11 is not installed (check first, but Start OpenOffice.org is pretty good about looking in the right places for things). See this article in the wiki for where to get X11 (depending on your Mac OS X version).

The manual instructions are for the tsch shell (default for user accounts created under Mac OS X 10.2 and preferred for building OOo Wink); the syntax is slightly different for bash, which is the default shell for user accounts created in 10.3 and above. But if X11 is missing, getting the bash syntax won't help anyway Smile

(It's at this point that many people give up and try NeoOffice/J instead, or give up and go back to Word, depending on their politics/finances/etc. Very Happy)

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1