· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Starting OOo 1.0.3 under Darwin
Starting OOo 1.0.3 under Darwin

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djlaplant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Starting OOo 1.0.3 under Darwin

I installed XFree86 4.2 and OOo 1.0.3 on OS X 10.2.8 under the admin user. The Start OpenOffice.org utility works fine when I'm logged on as the admin user -- it launches XDarwin and then OOo right away.

However, when I log in as a different user on the machine, when I click on Start OpenOffice.org, XDarwin starts, but OOo either does not start or starts after a long delay. I'm not familiar with OS X or Macs in general, but I am familiar with X windows on Linux and Unix.

Is a program installed by the admin user generally available to all users on OS X? Is there some further configuration I have to do?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject:

There are issues with the multiple user support in OOo 1.0.3. In theory it will take longer on first launch for each new user as the font cache gets built. In actuality, I think you're seeing a bug.

Also try opening up /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/bootstraprc with a text editor and change the "UserInstallation" line to:

UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/Library/Preferences/OpenOffice.org1.0.3

(no line breaks in the above). That should direct the "user" directory to the proper place.

ed
djlaplant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject:

There is a lot of I/O after XDarwin launches so your font cache theory seems seems like a good one. It takes almost 10 minutes to launch on an G4 1 GHz PowerBook with 512 MB. It does this every time I start OOo under this user. Is there a workaround? Should I install OOo for each user?
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Slow startup times of OOo

djlaplant wrote:
There is a lot of I/O after XDarwin launches so your font cache theory seems seems like a good one. It takes almost 10 minutes to launch on an G4 1 GHz PowerBook with 512 MB. It does this every time I start OOo under this user. Is there a workaround? Should I install OOo for each user?

I believe there are 2 separate issues here :

1) With OOo v1.0.3GM multi-user support (on by default), there is always a delay the very first time you launch "Start OpenOffice.org" for a new user (that hasn't seen OOo before), as it copies part of OOo, and creates symbolic links, then launches OOo. As Ed said (although I don't notice it because I don't have a lot of fonts), the first launch of OOo (this would be true if single user or multi-user) creates the Font cache, which obviously will take longer the more fonts you have - unfortunately there is no feedback as to what OOo is doing (I will try to improve that for the next version of "Start OpenOffice.org" [even if it is actually an OOo issue]).

2) There are some known problems with extremely slow startups of OOo every time - the best we can figure it is a corrupted or unsupported font that causes this, or maybe as Ed is hinting, a bug relating to multi-user support. I personally haven't seen this, but the following IssueTracker items should give you some help :

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=18436
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=17459

Regards, Terry
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1